Convertible Top

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jarrod,

Maybe you can help out with this?

This one would fit my 01 V6 vert right?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...t-Rear-Defrost

How can you tell if it's the motor or hydraulic that is messed up for the top guys?

I can unlock the top...and use it and it pulls it completely back and I just have to push it down slightly to seal completely down. But when I try to lift it back up from the down position, I hear the gear turning sound (like the motor maybe is trying but hydraulic isn't lifting???) but the top doesn't move for anything. Ideas? I don't know how to tell which is wrong.

Hydraulic would be much easier lol
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...onvertible-Top

Or the motor:
Additionally would a motor from a 95 fit the 01? Is it 94-04 pretty much the same?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ible-Top-Motor

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
That top will not work. That top is for the 03-04 Cobras. You will need this top. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ET-CT6-BLK/01-04-Mustang-Black-Convertible-Top

The motor will not work either. I am showing specific part numbers for the 94-98 and 99-04 motors. The link you posted is for the correct motor though. Its the 99-04 motor.

I would check everything out if I were you. It could be just a cylinder that has lost pressure and needs to be swapped. I would think the top motor is still good if you can hear it run.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
That top will not work. That top is for the 03-04 Cobras. You will need this top. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ET-CT6-BLK/01-04-Mustang-Black-Convertible-Top

The motor will not work either. I am show specific part numbers for the 94-98 and 99-04 motors. The link you posted is for the correct motor though. Its the 99-04 motor.

I would check everything out if I were you. It could be just a cylinder that has lost pressure and needs to be swapped. I would think the top motor is still good if you can hear it run.

And why exactly won't the part work? I know of many people that put the 03-04 cover (cloth) on their cars. Just because the part number doesn't show a specific model, doesn't mean it won't fit...sort of an upgrade. The 03-04 cobra frame of the top, from my knowledge wasn't structurally different than any 99-04 Vert. Just like my 95 V6....I got the FR500 Steering wheel....swapped out perfectly fine...but if you try to cross reference part #'s obviously it will say it's ONLY for the FR500. Same goes with Saleen Bumpers, Cobra hoods, etc

As for the motor, I don't see a difference either in the images at least..how they hook up, etc.

How would I check if it's the cylinder? Yes I can still hear it running...buy maybe hydraulic?

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
Sorry, I worded that wrong. I was thinking you were looking for just a replacement top. Will the top fit (physically) yes, no doubt. I haven't heard or seen anyone consider it an upgrade.

The images are the same for both pictures since we never took a picture of the 99-04 motor. The picture you see is for the 94-98. The plug is different for the 99-04. Right now, no one is making the correct plug (aftermarket wise). The reason I have 2 different part numbers is because we are still buying Ford OEM top motors for the 99-04. Technically, the motor is the same, but the plugs are different.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, I worded that wrong. I was thinking you were looking for just a replacement top. Will the top fit (physically) yes, no doubt. I haven't heard or seen anyone consider it an upgrade.

The images are the same for both pictures since we never took a picture of the 99-04 motor. The picture you see is for the 94-98. The plug is different for the 99-04. Right now, no one is making the correct plug (aftermarket wise). The reason I have 2 different part numbers is because we are still buying Ford OEM top motors for the 99-04. Technically, the motor is the same, but the plugs are different.

Well based on the material (cloth) that it is...it is DEFINITELY an upgrade lol

So motor needs to match 99-04 darn it

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
Correct, unless you want to cut yours off and splice it into the 94-98 motor.

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
The only down side, you lose your warranty when splicing. This is the reason we carry two different part numbers.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
warranty on your part....but i was considering getting a used 95 one and splicing. I wouldn't get a 94-98 brand new instead of 99-04 brand new..that's just crazy lol

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
But you think if I hear the hmmming sound that the motor is good, but it could be the hydraulic?

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
It could be the hydraulic cylinder. Hose might be busted or have a pin hole in it, you also might have air in the hose. It could be a few different things.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok so after doing some talking with upholstery shops, I need a new glass curtain...not the entire top. Damn it...you carry that part?

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
And it could be my tires are underinflated...but really now LOL

True. Unfortunately I can't honestly tell you what the actually problem is since I haven't seen or worked on the car. I can only go off of other problems I have had in the past that sound like yours.

Ok so after doing some talking with upholstery shops, I need a new glass curtain...not the entire top. Damn it...you carry that part?

Here it is without defrost http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ack-Convertible-Glass-Window-With-Out-Defrost
With defrost http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...g-Black-Convertible-Glass-Window-With-Defrost

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for your help on this Jarrod. :) Glad to have you rockin' it out as a sponsor!

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
True. Unfortunately I can't honestly tell you what the actually problem is since I haven't seen or worked on the car. I can only go off of other problems I have had in the past that sound like yours.

Here it is without defrost http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ack-Convertible-Glass-Window-With-Out-Defrost
With defrost http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...g-Black-Convertible-Glass-Window-With-Defrost

So when you had the issue similar...what solved it?

Def defroster on it :)

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
Not sure. I have never owned a convertible myself.

I have helped customers over the phone from when I worked in sales. Each problem is a little different. Your hoses might be busted, but the next guy that might ask about it will have air in his lines. One guy might call up and order the entire kit and replace everything so he doesnt have to try and track down one problem.
Me personally, I would rather find the problem at hand and fix it.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure. I have never owned a convertible myself.

I have helped customers over the phone from when I worked in sales. Each problem is a little different. Your hoses might be busted, but the next guy that might ask about it will have air in his lines. One guy might call up and order the entire kit and replace everything so he doesnt have to try and track down one problem.
Me personally, I would rather find the problem at hand and fix it.

I would too I like to troubleshoot. Unfortunately I don't know the components to troubleshoot them

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
What is the warranty on this window portion? If I get it installed and it starts to tear will LMR pay for the removal and reinstallation of a new one or am I SOL?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online