Convertible Top

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
If you ever have to claim a warranty on the product, we do not pay for the removal or install of the product. That is something you will have to work out with the shop.

* * * NOTE: Professional Installation Recommended!-GLASS WINDOW WARRANTY- 24 month warranty.
PLEASE INSPECT TOP AND/OR WINDOW FOR FLAWS BEFORE STARTING INSTALLATION!

Electron is unable to warranty a product due to:
-Acts of God or vandalism
-Bad Frame Design, misaligned or malfunctioning frames
-Wear or pinch holes made by the frame
-Visible flaws, tears, blemishes, missing stitches or other noticeable faults after installation.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you ever have to claim a warranty on the product, we do not pay for the removal or install of the product. That is something you will have to work out with the shop.

* * * NOTE: Professional Installation Recommended!-GLASS WINDOW WARRANTY- 24 month warranty.
PLEASE INSPECT TOP AND/OR WINDOW FOR FLAWS BEFORE STARTING INSTALLATION!

Electron is unable to warranty a product due to:
-Acts of God or vandalism
-Bad Frame Design, misaligned or malfunctioning frames
-Wear or pinch holes made by the frame
-Visible flaws, tears, blemishes, missing stitches or other noticeable faults after installation.

See that's my concern, I would be S.O.L. for removal and installation of product based on it's defects, tearing, weathering, etc

ie. I get it, get it installed for $150. 7 months down the road I see the glass pulling the stitches off the skirt. I contact you or Electron....you say sure we will send you a new one, send us this one back (or just new one). Then I have to go back to shop and pay to remove and re-install new one at my own expense due to a manufacturers defect, right?

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
Just depends. I wouldn't say you were completely SOL. We handle each customer, and their problems differently. There might be something we can do, but then again, there might not be anything we can do. It just depends on what caused the problems 7 months after the install. I wouldn't know that unless the problem actually happened. We are not the manufacture of that product, Electron is. We will still work with the customer since they bought it from us. Weathering would not be covered under their warranty. That falls under their "act of God" policy.

Just to give you a little history. I worked in sales for 3 years. I never had 1 warranty claim on an electron product. Now if the damage is the result of a poor install, that is on the shop, not us nor electron.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Just depends. I wouldn't say you were completely SOL. We handle each customer, and their problems differently. There might be something we can do, but then again, there might not be anything we can do. It just depends on what caused the problems 7 months after the install. I wouldn't know that unless the problem actually happened. We are not the manufacture of that product, Electron is. We will still work with the customer since they bought it from us. Weathering would not be covered under their warranty. That falls under their "act of God" policy.

Just to give you a little history. I worked in sales for 3 years. I never had 1 warranty claim on an electron product. Now if the damage is the result of a poor install, that is on the shop, not us nor electron.

The broad, "we will see what we can do" just makes me feel eery about the situation and like I would have to fight tooth and nail to get any compensation back, at that not even full compensation. It's just a difficult situation because I would save money if I bought this and got it installed, but if something goes wrong and I need to swap it, it would be more money than if I got it from the shop in the first place

Understandable...but what makes me think that it won't always be "the shop didn't install it correctly" as the reason? THAT is what I heard tends to be the excuse from manufacturers as a matter of fact.

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
I don't know how else to explain it to you to make you feel more comfortable. Each situation is different. You can ask just about anyone that has ever done business with us. We go out of our way to make our customers happy.

What makes you believe you will even have problems with it? You might buy it, have it installed and not touch it for 10 years.

Bill94vert

Reaction score
I would be more concern with the guy who will be installing the top and make sure they stand behind the install not the manufacture of the top.. like he said buying and have it thoroughly inspected for any sort of defects. not much more you can do.

5litrarag

Reaction score
If you are hearing the pump going and the top isnt raising, you probably have a leak at one of the cylinders. You probably need to get in there pull the seat and rear panels and take a look. Chances are you'll need one of the cylinders and you'll also have the pleasure of cleaning up the fluid thats sprayed all over in there. at that point, if your top needs replacement due to age, thats a good time to get it done. Personally, I'd take it to an upholstery shop and have them do the whole thing. should cost you between 750-1200 bucks depending on the quality of where you take it.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I would be more concern with the guy who will be installing the top and make sure they stand behind the install not the manufacture of the top.. like he said buying and have it thoroughly inspected for any sort of defects. not much more you can do.

Inspecting it for defects is normal of course. But I heard from several upholstery shops that the $180 ones they sell online tend to have issues, that's what concerns me. Of course they are trying to get me to buy theirs for more profit, but still worries me.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you are hearing the pump going and the top isnt raising, you probably have a leak at one of the cylinders. You probably need to get in there pull the seat and rear panels and take a look. Chances are you'll need one of the cylinders and you'll also have the pleasure of cleaning up the fluid thats sprayed all over in there. at that point, if your top needs replacement due to age, thats a good time to get it done. Personally, I'd take it to an upholstery shop and have them do the whole thing. should cost you between 750-1200 bucks depending on the quality of where you take it.

Well the top is gonna stay fine. See, I am going to get rid of this car in July 2014 for my BMW so I just need it to last until then really. SO the entire top won't be changed, just the glass curtain. The rest is fine as it is. I just find it annoying to have a convertible ...and it doesn't work lol

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
welcome to the world of auto-parts and the world of internet e-commerce.

I spent every penny i had buying "the name brand" for my car and it failed within 6 weeks.... that's the way it goes sometimes. If you want quality (in the car world) you have to pay for it. Even then its not a guarantee.

Additionally, you're buying a part you've never seen before, never tested before, and are mish-mashing the services of 3 people (you are purchasing the glass, LMR is selling the glass, and your shop is installing the glass.) obviously if something goes wrong someone is going to point the finger.

If you were running LMR, I highly doubt you'd cover the glass under out-side conditions as well. It may fail due to bad install, or manufacturing failures - either of which case would not be LMR's fault...

Now, I'm not turning this into some debate thread where everyone goes: "But Chris, what if an asteroid strikes my neighbor's mailbox and the little flag hits my wife in the face and she drops her purse on my window!?!?" I'm just trying to give some (business) clarity as to LMR's position. They will *probably* (dont mean to put the words in anyone's mouth) cover the cost of the glass if something goes wrong, as they are a reputable company, BUT you cant hold them liable for everything that ever happens ever forever whenever every ever . . ...

My advice:
If you're looking to try and save some $$, go with LMR. They are a bad-ass company and they stand behind their products.

If you're THAT paranoid about failure, stick with the parts your shop wants to use. Then they are 100% liable for everything that goes wrong and they cant point the finger at anyone.

Members should note:
I only allow the companies with high customer satisfaction to become sponsors. Two days ago I shot down a member request to approach UPR for sponsorship -- I'm 100% dedicated to quality in our sponsors and I stand behind LMR. I've worked with them in the past and had an awesome experience.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
welcome to the world of auto-parts and the world of internet e-commerce.

I spent every penny i had buying "the name brand" for my car and it failed within 6 weeks.... that's the way it goes sometimes. If you want quality (in the car world) you have to pay for it. Even then its not a guarantee.

Additionally, you're buying a part you've never seen before, never tested before, and are mish-mashing the services of 3 people (you are purchasing the glass, LMR is selling the glass, and your shop is installing the glass.) obviously if something goes wrong someone is going to point the finger.

If you were running LMR, I highly doubt you'd cover the glass under out-side conditions as well. It may fail due to bad install, or manufacturing failures - either of which case would not be LMR's fault...

Now, I'm not turning this into some debate thread where everyone goes: "But Chris, what if an asteroid strikes my neighbor's mailbox and the little flag hits my wife in the face and she drops her purse on my window!?!?" I'm just trying to give some (business) clarity as to LMR's position. They will *probably* (dont mean to put the words in anyone's mouth) cover the cost of the glass if something goes wrong, as they are a reputable company, BUT you cant hold them liable for everything that ever happens ever forever whenever every ever . . ...

My advice:
If you're looking to try and save some $$, go with LMR. They are a bad-ass company and they stand behind their products.

If you're THAT paranoid about failure, stick with the parts your shop wants to use. Then they are 100% liable for everything that goes wrong and they cant point the finger at anyone.

Members should note:
I only allow the companies with high customer satisfaction to become sponsors. Two days ago I shot down a member request to approach UPR for sponsorship -- I'm 100% dedicated to quality in our sponsors and I stand behind LMR. I've worked with them in the past and had an awesome experience.

Chris,

Believe me I understand your point, I have been in this market for 10+ years now. I just wanted to know where LMR stood regarding this product as they don't manufacturer it, just distribute it. It's a tough decision to make...save a few, take a chance. Spend more, play it safer.

The fact that they haven't had issues with Electron products makes me feel more comfortable as well. Chris saying you are so supportive of LMR and Jarod replying adds to that. I think the installers made me question it I guess and I didn't go into business mode and say "well duh they want you to buy from them instead" LOL

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea. sometimes i just bite the bullet and go with the shop's stuff.

I paid $$$ of money on my paint for my car to repair a 1/4 panel myself. (3 stage, laser red, blah blah)

We ****ed it up (why? because that's what i do)

when I took it to the shop i asked if they would use the rest of my paint. he said "sure, but we wont repair it if you come back a week later and say it fish-eyed; but we'd cover it if we used our paint."

So, i let them use their paint.

a week later, orange peel like MAAAAADDDDDD. took it in, full re-spray on the area without 1 word.

then we used my paint to do the engine bay during the terminator swap anyways :) :-D

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
AutoBadges, you're facing the same situation I encountered when I visited my local upholstery shops - if I bring in my own (more affordable) parts, they could not guarantee the install same as if they used their own ordered parts. Some shops wouldn't even consider when I asked if I could buy and bring in a top for them to put on.

I got frustrated with the high quotes and just decided to wait a bit, don't have the money right now anyway. If I decide to go with the cloth top I might just go with the shop order and install, that way if anything does go wrong it should be all covered by the shop.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
yea. sometimes i just bite the bullet and go with the shop's stuff.

I paid $$$ of money on my paint for my car to repair a 1/4 panel myself. (3 stage, laser red, blah blah)

We ****ed it up (why? because that's what i do)

when I took it to the shop i asked if they would use the rest of my paint. he said "sure, but we wont repair it if you come back a week later and say it fish-eyed; but we'd cover it if we used our paint."

So, i let them use their paint.

a week later, orange peel like MAAAAADDDDDD. took it in, full re-spray on the area without 1 word.

then we used my paint to do the engine bay during the terminator swap anyways :) :-D

So your story went both ways....you saved, then you used theirs and messed up as well...lol

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
AutoBadges, you're facing the same situation I encountered when I visited my local upholstery shops - if I bring in my own (more affordable) parts, they could not guarantee the install same as if they used their own ordered parts. Some shops wouldn't even consider when I asked if I could buy and bring in a top for them to put on.

I got frustrated with the high quotes and just decided to wait a bit, don't have the money right now anyway. If I decide to go with the cloth top I might just go with the shop order and install, that way if anything does go wrong it should be all covered by the shop.

See THAT's my big concern. IF something does go wrong...I am SOL really, unless I buy it from them. Right now I have a cool shop, owner spoke to me for like 30 minutes on the phone. He said $466 out the door for the window curtain fully installed parts and labor. Where it's $389 part and $127 labor from him coming to $516...after talking with him a while he said he would go $50 lower to $466

or I can go LMR at $200 part, and he said $130 labor....$330 with my own parts, no warranty.

$466 parts/labor from shop with full warranty vs $330 bring in own part, no warranty if anything happens

THAT is my situation lol

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
$466 parts/labor from shop with full warranty vs $330 bring in own part, no warranty if anything happens

THAT is my situation lol

This is such a small price difference, if it were me, I'd go with the shop parts/labor just to be on the safe side. And btw, your total is WAY better than the quotes I got here in the Richmond area. Mine with parts/labor ran from $1,200 - $1,600.

OP
OP
AutoBadges

AutoBadges

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
This is such a small price difference, if it were me, I'd go with the shop parts/labor just to be on the safe side. And btw, your total is WAY better than the quotes I got here in the Richmond area. Mine with parts/labor ran from $1,200 - $1,600.

Yeah but $130 is still $130! LOL Yeah well the totals have normally been higher, I just like to haggle a bit and talk them down. But $1,200 is insane lol I got quotes to do the entire thing for $900 lol

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if I were you, I'd drop the $$ at LMR. But thats just me.... :) I love LMR, Jarrod is a great rep, and they stand behind their products.

at the end of the day, its up to you boss man. You're the one with the green-backs :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online