Converting Coils to COPS

blown98gt

Reaction score
ok here is a write-up with pics/diagrams

here are the wires i found on my 4.6
wires1.jpg

**All wire connections should be soldered and wrapped in electrical tape**

i opened up the wire loom on the main harness coming out of the passenger side ffrom the EEC, and cut all 5 wires and proceeded to install the COPs onto the intake manifold.........you will need some metric screws m5 x 0.8 pitch, 20mm long, in case you dont have the ones that come on from factory........you can get some at Ace Hardware, or i believe they are like $1 each and come in packs of 4, which you can get from Dan Newman.........here is where i opened up the main harness to make all connections:
cop4.jpg

although i didnt get a shot of the wires inside the main harness, you shouldn't have any trouble finding these wires.

moving along........first i soldered two wires to the ignition wire.........one long enough to reach the coil at cylinder 1, and the other long enough to reach cylinder 7 (routing this wire behind the manifold)........then i wired up the first pair as follows:

**A half-circle on a wire crossing another wire means no electrical connection is made**
1stpair.jpg

this is what one of my COPs looks like with the connectors i used:
cop2.jpg

now onto wiring the second pair........since there is already power going to the first coil, i spliced in a very short piece of wire to also power the positive side of coil 3:
2ndpair.jpg

to wire up the 3rd pair, i powered coil 7 first with the second wire i soldered to the ignition wire at the harness, then went along to coil 4:
3rdpair.jpg

i then did the same thing to power coil 8, as i did to power coil 3.....spliced in a short piece to the wire that powers coil 7, then went along to coil 2:
4thpair.jpg

and there you have it.........just gotta secure all the wires neatly with electrical tape or plastic ties and cover it up in plastic wire loom, and tape up the main harness, and you've just saved a ton of space........this is how the driver's side looks like with all COPs in place:
cop3.jpg

a before shot of my engine bay:
before_cop.jpg

and now after:
cop5.jpg

as you may or may not notice, the power steering reservoir is holding on to dear life with some plastic cable ties (LOL), since this was just a temporary fix. You will need to get the support bracket from a COP-equipped Ford 4.6 vehicle and you might have to work with it to get it to work but it'll work it does bolt up with some modification.

a couple other things i should cover.........you'll notice that the noise-capacitors that are bolted to the brackets are not there.........i didnt notice any ill effects with them removed, so i chopped them off and left it that way

you will also notice that the red/green vacuum lines that also went to the passenger side bracket and connect to the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid are not there..........what i did was chop off the connector with a few inches of slack on the wire and spliced it in to the wires at the main harness........i then cut the red and green hard vacuum lines right around the passenger side fuel rail, and used rubber vacuum hose to route them to the vacuum solenoid now secured at the rear of the engine bay on the firewall.

and that about covers it folks.... also one more thing i recommend using the piggy back type wire splices, i don't have a picture but they just clamp onto the wire and provide a clean splice.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Damn that really cleaned up the engine bay alot. How does it run any different?

OP
OP
B

blown98gt

Reaction score
nope not really, the performance of stock COPS vs coils is the same if you got a set of performance COPS you would see a difference but as for just stock cops they are the same

dino

Reaction score
part of my plans for when i do the overhaul(5.4 4v setup)

330CubeGt

Reaction score
My Harness is currently on the bench torn apart, im doing the same exact thing. :thumbsup:

95PGTTech

Reaction score
You do realize you can just use the harness from a COP car, correct?

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Been there done that and found out the hard way it wont work,

The body harness from the 99+ cars are diffrent there for the 99-04 engine harness is not compatible in a 96-98 car.But if you want to try it ill sell you the 99-04 engine harness cheap :thumbsup:

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Sure! Is it a 4V?
I've also been there and done that, and it worked perfectly on mine.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
O RLY?

So what did you do when the engine harness did not work with the body harness?

95PGTTech

Reaction score
You mean how it doesn't plug in because they are two males? I did what any ford tech would do and popped the safety out, depinned the connector, switched them. It took me about two hours to go from two completely separate harnesses to one harness that works first start up and doesn't look like hacked up spaghetti. Done right, the factory stuff plugs right in.

Is what you have 2V or 4V? I'd assume from your sig and avatar it's a 2V.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've read that this is supposed to help with ignition in higher rpms because the coil pack isn't having to fire 4x as much?
anyone read the same?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
okay. two questions: how is this better (there seems to be a minor dispute about why its benificial) and how hard is it to get the OEM COP Harness to work, the process sounded simple untill you said "2 hours" lol.

Untame-d

Reaction score
I'm interested to. I have an 04 4.6L going into my 96 and will need to wire the harness into the COP's. The swap seems simple enough. But why would you do it in the first place? other than making room in the engine bay.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Untame-d said:
I'm interested to. I have an 04 4.6L going into my 96 and will need to wire the harness into the COP's. The swap seems simple enough. But why would you do it in the first place? other than making room in the engine bay.

that's the reason. 99/01 motors are much cleaner than 96-98

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.