Converting Coils to COPS

OP
OP
B

blown98gt

Reaction score
to me it's not a performance things it's purely a way to clean the engine bay up a lot

El_Diablo

Reaction score
you could always go with a distributor, lol.... thats what most of the hard core guys go with, supposedly a lot more reliable

95PGTTech

Reaction score
El_Diablo said:
you could always go with a distributor, lol.... thats what most of the hard core guys go with, supposedly a lot more reliable

the factory COPs have been proven to deliver adequate spark well over 1000HP to the tire. I don't know how hardcore you are, but I'm not that hardcore.

94kingcbra

Reaction score
blown98gt said:
**All wire connections should be soldered and wrapped in electrical tape**

I would recommend heat shrink way over electrical tape. If you ever need to remove it, you won't be dealing with the stickyness, it looks better, and it's way better at insulating the repair.

Marvin97

Reaction score
Anyone who plans on doing this, I have the driverside bracket from an 01 that holds the power steering reservoir on if any one needs it. pm me

NERD

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
You do realize you can just use the harness from a COP car, correct?

No you can't and I doubt highly you did. The signal pulse from a 99+ ecu sends different signals to the COP's than the Pre 99 ECU and the wiring is 100% different. Which is why the polarity is reversed and you have to wire them in series. I myself plugged in a 99 harness with COPs and got no ignition response at all.

OP, I hope you're not taking credit for writing this article. I used it to do my conversion and I got it off the TB forums.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
sxynerd said:
95PGTTech said:
You do realize you can just use the harness from a COP car, correct?

No you can't and I doubt highly you did. The signal pulse from a 99+ ecu sends different signals to the COP's than the Pre 99 ECU and the wiring is 100% different. Which is why the polarity is reversed and you have to wire them in series. I myself plugged in a 99 harness with COPs and got no ignition response at all.

OP, I hope you're not taking credit for writing this article. I used it to do my conversion and I got it off the TB forums.

95PGTTech said:
You mean how it doesn't plug in because they are two males? I did what any ford tech would do and popped the safety out, depinned the connector, switched them. It took me about two hours to go from two completely separate harnesses to one harness that works first start up and doesn't look like hacked up spaghetti. Done right, the factory stuff plugs right in.

Is what you have 2V or 4V? I'd assume from your sig and avatar it's a 2V.

asked and answered already.

catch_15

Reaction score
Quick question...what did you guys do with the wires that ran to where the coil packs used to be? Can they just be removed or what?

Lanter

Reaction score
I am using Redmonsters wiring harness. As far as wires are you talking about the plug wires that go from spark plugs to coils or the plugs that plug into the coils (engine wiring harness)

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I am using Redmonsters wiring harness. As far as wires are you talking about the plug wires that go from spark plugs to coils or the plugs that plug into the coils (engine wiring harness)

Lanter any spark blowout issues with yours? I heard that can be an issue with the higher hp guys. I have the RedMonster kit on mine and my tuner said he's seen spark blowout on 500+rwhp guys with this setup.

Lanter

Reaction score
Lanter any spark blowout issues with yours? I heard that can be an issue with the higher hp guys. I have the RedMonster kit on mine and my tuner said he's seen spark blowout on 500+rwhp guys with this setup.

Yes mine has issues with spark blowout. But I am not sure on the condition of my coils, I bought them used and there may be a weak one in the bunch that is causing my issues. Hard to say if it's using coils or if its the actual coils. Mine made 700 hp on a mustang dyno and I know a couple guys making 800+ running the same redmonster harness. Just have to gap the plugs tight.

Of course if you want really big numbers it's easier to stay coil packs as the individual coils just can't recharge fast enough at high RPM since our wasted spark ignition fires them every revolution instead of every other so the coil has to recharge twice as fast as it should and this coupled with ford coils having a rather slow dwell time is where the issues arise.

Long winded way to say yes I have issues with spark blow out but you can certainly make 700-800 hp with our ignition system running COPs.

Lanter

Reaction score
If you have spark blowout at 500 hp your plug gap is way to wide. I'm running 0.018-0.020" TR6's where most blower 03-04 cobra's run 0.025-0.030" (for reference)

98snakehorse

Reaction score
If you have spark blowout at 500 hp your plug gap is way to wide. I'm running 0.018-0.020" TR6's where most blower 03-04 cobra's run 0.025-0.030" (for reference)

Im not getting any serious blowout right now however I currently have my tr6 at .034 right now so I will probably narrow the gap to around .030 or less for next year.

Lanter

Reaction score
Im not getting any serious blowout right now however I currently have my tr6 at .034 right now so I will probably narrow the gap to around .030 or less for next year.

I believe the best route for plug gap is run it as open as you can without blowout. Find the gap where it starts to blow out then tighten it a couple thousands to protect against gap growth as the plug ages and wears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online