Converting single din to a double din...

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
I am planning to change my 94 Mustang stereo from single din to a double din. Been doing a lot of research and bought the metra kit as well. Couple of questions for those who have converted or messed around that area of the console.

1. After you had it installed for awhile, did you feel your head unit was a tad too low? I plan to install a unit that has GPS so the higher the better I would think.

2. I have seen a few custom installs where the owner moved the climate control panel from the top to the bottom of the bezel (of course this meant the metra kit is a no go. My question is does anyone know from having their hands in there if the wiring for the climate panel would be long enough to be moved or that would require some "kitbashing" as well.

Thx... very new here (1st post). Plant to post some pics and into myself in a bit. :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have the metra kit and I have had no complaints about being too low or high. I have not moved the climate controls but I have heard there is more to it than just moving them down 6" and with as much as I have customized my interior it never seemed worth the trouble to move it up 3"

pXJZtnt.jpg
ITs not a bad looking kit imo.

07GtS197

Reaction score
If you have a phone with navigation I’d skip it on the head unit. You’re right it does sit too low for any real use.

How do you guys like the metra kit? I have an 01+ bezel on standby but I don’t like that it’s charcoal instead of black like the other interior bits. And it’s stupid it gets rid of the sliders for the vents.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can see my phone holder on the pass side of the deck. It mounts to the under dash with screws and I trimmed a portion of the kit so it slides along side of it and covers the mount below and makes everything easy. I have not driven far enough to need the gps yet. I would say to go with the kit over the oem dash for nothing more than the mounting brackets that come with it to mount the deck.

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. If I had to prioritize the use of the system it would be 1. GPS, 2. Music 3. Phone. Don't plan to utilize Android Auto. I'll be opening the console shortly to see for myself about the climate control connections. I could always go the metra unit first, try it for awhile and see if it feels too low to properly interact with the GPS.

Any other feedback from fellow "convertors" is most welcomed.

TrickVert

Reaction score
If you don't want to use Android Auto, don't try it at all. If yiu do, you will likely find yourself using it all the time (especially if it's wireless). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
94StewFord

Members online