Converting to Slot Style MAF meter

Marvin97

Reaction score
Wel after looking around for awhile today trying to find a diagram, how-to, heck atleast some pictures to go by, I decided to make one myself. I eventually found the answers, but they should be here and easy to find. The point of this mod is to change out the stock 2 plug MAF/IAT sensor system for the single plug slot style meter setup found on modern mustangs. This mod is generally used/recommended for those with a turbo or centrifugal supercharger setup. I'm doing it because my car is turbocharged and I'll be using an SCT BA5000 slot style meter.

Here's a shot of the stock 94-98 (2) plug setup. On the left is the 4wire MAFplug, on the right is the 2wire IAT sensor/plug
y4y5usug.jpg

Here's what we're switching to, a 6wire plug from an 05+ mustang. I've been told they can be found in other newer model Ford vehicles as well. It has the IAT sensor integrated in it, eliminating the second plug. We just have to wire it up.
7avenapu.jpg

I began by pulling the plugs into the fender and stripping back the loom/electrical tape and exposing the wires. I then cut them both off.
9ymy4e8e.jpg

Here's a breakdown of the three plugs. This is what each wire does and is your guide for wiring up the new plug.
bu3apubu.jpg

I spread the wires out and stripped back plenty of insulation to solder my connections.
byga7a3y.jpg

Next I applied flux to my wires and cut some heat shrink wire wrap and slipped them over each wire, keeping them far enough from the connection that they wouldn't get hot and start shrinking from the soldering. I then matched up the wire colors using my guide above and soldered the connections.
emumevep.jpg

I then sealed them up with the heat shrink wire wrap.
azaza7a9.jpg

Reapply the wire loom and some electrical tape to keep it all together and neat looking. Here's the finished product:
nu8enuvy.jpg

Hope this is helpful to anyone else looking to do the swap

FrankenStang

Reaction score
it is a nice swap, I did it on my 97 cougar..it cleans things up abit too, I found my 6pin mafs and its housing unit and pigtail from I think an 04 crown vic..most newer 4.6 switched to that 6 pin style...

McCloud

Reaction score
Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'll be needing to do this once the turbo goes on mine.

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score
it is a nice swap, I did it on my 97 cougar..it cleans things up abit too, I found my 6pin mafs and its housing unit and pigtail from I think an 04 crown vic..most newer 4.6 switched to that 6 pin style...

Yeah the 99-04 mustangs have a 6pin MAF with the IAT integrated. You can buy a plug and play harness for them but have to wire the plugs for 94-98 cars yourself.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
Good write up! Good pictures also. With all the F/I people on here, or going F/I, I vote we sticky this thread. :). Anyone second the motion?

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score
good write up although I would recommend splicing the wires like this.

http://www.wikihow.com/Splice-Wire

The way you have it done if it gets pulled on hard enough it could cause some problems.

I really don't see it being a problem. The joints are inside the fender and its not like the MAF plug/wires should ever be under any stress. I've always soldered and heat shrank all my connections that way and have never had one come loose.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
right it shouldn't be an issue but if for some reason it got pulled on too hard some time from now after maybe a few seasons of breaking down the shrink wrap it could pull out of the insulation. Please understand I am not trying to do anything but help. You have done more then most with the solder/shrink but technically speaking when doing wiring splices like that its better to do it the way I showed as it makes a stronger/safer connection. Only part that is different really is that you need to remember to put the shrink on first and then there really should be NOTHING to worry about short of the wire breaking.

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score
right it shouldn't be an issue but if for some reason it got pulled on too hard some time from now after maybe a few seasons of breaking down the shrink wrap it could pull out of the insulation. Please understand I am not trying to do anything but help. You have done more then most with the solder/shrink but technically speaking when doing wiring splices like that its better to do it the way I showed as it makes a stronger/safer connection. Only part that is different really is that you need to remember to put the shrink on first and then there really should be NOTHING to worry about short of the wire breaking.
Noted. Its also worth noting, be careful when stripping the wires. Make sure you never hold them by the plug, I've had more than one OEM harness connector have the wires just fall out of it from only a slight amount of stress. And that's a *****.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Noted. Its also worth noting, be careful when stripping the wires. Make sure you never hold them by the plug, I've had more than one OEM harness connector have the wires just fall out of it from only a slight amount of stress. And that's a *****.

I agree, and with that being said I would have to add that you should probably leave yourself 6-8" of wire off of the hrns when you cut them off or as much as you can. With as short as you cut it, you really only have one, maybe two chances to solder your wire to it and if something goes wrong in the process your sol. This also leaves room for if you need too modify it later. But again great idea and I hope my suggestions are not be misread as criticism. I am a little anal about my wiring after all the time I spend around it, you would crap if you saw my car right now as its a wire nest, for me...

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score
I agree, and with that being said I would have to add that you should probably leave yourself 6-8" of wire off of the hrns when you cut them off or as much as you can. With as short as you cut it, you really only have one, maybe two chances to solder your wire to it and if something goes wrong in the process your sol. This also leaves room for if you need too modify it later. But again great idea and I hope my suggestions are not be misread as criticism. I am a little anal about my wiring after all the time I spend around it, you would crap if you saw my car right now as its a wire nest, for me...

When you say I should have left more wire on the plugs, are you talking about the MAF and IAT plugs I cut off? They're never going back on, I would have cut them shorter if I wasn't doing the write up. For the 6 pin plug, I had probably 8" of wire or so on it.

strokn88lx

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to compliment you on the bad ass write up. It just helped/saved my ass!!

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score
+1! I also would like to hear what the Real Advantages are to doing this Conversion? Thanks
I did the conversion because I was installing a 67mm turbo setup. It was my understanding that a slot style meter in a blow through configuration(installed in the pipe after the intercooler) are much easier to tune and more cost effective than buying another larger MAF meter. Supposedly the range of these meters is far greater as well.

Quarter Horse

Reaction score
I did the conversion because I was installing a 67mm turbo setup. It was my understanding that a slot style meter in a blow through configuration(installed in the pipe after the intercooler) are much easier to tune and more cost effective than buying another larger MAF meter. Supposedly the range of these meters is far greater as well.

Right On, So this is mainly a Mod for Forced Induction?, Does N/A Engines see any good gains from doing this? Thanks for the input Guys! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online