Coolant magically missing. Can't find a leak

Motojoe

Reaction score
I have had to add coolant to my tank 3 times. I don't have any leaks but I did find some moisture near the thermostat elbow going into the manifold. But no accumulation anywhere. I checked the heater core and my carpet is dry. I don't seem to be burning coolant. No white smoke. I don't think there is any in my oil. Where could it be going. The tank doesn't empty but got about halfway low. For the amount missing it has to be going somewhere. No puddles on the floor. Wtf. Where else can I look.

snoball

Reaction score
could be seeping out side of radiator tanks when hot then resealing when cold?

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Well I got a good look at things with a flash light and I do have a little bit of coolant in the valley. It seems to be coming from the elbow where the thermostat is. It's either the gasket (I'm never that lucky) or the plastic manifold cracked. My buddy has a pressure tester so I'll find out with in the next few days. If it is I'll be doing the 99+ pi manifold. I'm just worried the passage you have to seal up will leak over time.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ yup. The intakes literally have a life span. Im seeing alot of truck intakes giving up as well. Even though the crossover pipe is aluminum, plastic is sandwiched between it and the head.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The plastic crossover cracked?

You-dont-say.jpeg

A new manifold should be included with every purchase of a 96-98 Gt.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
So it's the manifold. It's leaking a lot worse now. I know this is a forum for performance guys like me, but is the pi manifold swap really worth it. I feel like I can just throw a stock one on and call it a day as opposed to knocking out the plug for the water pump, changing lines, running the risk of the rvt not making a good seal, modifying gaskets, taping threads for a temp sensor, etc. I know there is an improvement but it won't be a totally different car, just a little more responsive in the higher rpm's. What's your opinion guys. This is my knock around car and I know it will never be cobra fast. Just fun to drive.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
American muscle has it with aluminum cross over. 98-98 219 bucks with gaskets

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A PI one on rock auto is about $137.

There's plenty of good writeups on how to do the swap and there's honestly not that much more involved in swapping to a PI. I got all the parts for my swap for under $200.
However, if you feel more comfortable just swapping to the same one to save yourself the headache, then by all means do that.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Expires today :)

5% Discount Code: BD44A9C6B8116A
Expires: 09/18/2014

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Please note that orders using discount codes must be placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. One more question. I rented the tool to pressure test the system just to. Make sure before I order anything. The tool does not work with the threaded radiator cap. It's for the regular style. Do they make an adapter to thread in there so I can use the pressure tester

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online