Coolant smell

Pallgor

Reaction score
I’ve been having a coolant smell in my 96 4.6 gt. I did a pressure test and only found a leaky hose clamp which I fixed. Tester held pressure after I retested it. I still smell coolant and it believe it’s not “burn off” and the funny part is no other leaks and I’m not losing fluid !! Operating temperature is fine
Any ideas ? Ty

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
No wet floor. It’s a real head scratcher. Just going to keep an eye on it So far as of today no coolant loss

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you pull up the carpet and look under it? The Jute/insulation under the carpet soaks most of it up when it happens.

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
No. Drivers floor gets wet after rain or car wash. No coolant smell or film on interior glass. I’m pretty positive it’s not the core.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If your smelling coolant vapor inside
Chances are your heater core is seeping a tiny bit
And could be on the way out

Mine never leaked on the floor there was to much dust and dirt clinging to the wet spot acting as a mop up or some sorta tampon , but I definitely had vapor from it

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
Smell is under the hood. Still can’t find it and no coolant loss. As soon as it stops being shitty out I’ll try a pressure test again

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It could be right at the back of the intake manifold or the hose on the back side of the head by the fire wall
Just do the troubleshooting and it will show up

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
Intake manifold has been replaced. Heater hose connections are fine

OP
OP
P

Pallgor

Reaction score
I did a pressure test today at lunch and lost no pressure or fluid for the 1/2 hr I had the restored on. So I talked to a former ford mechanic and he says it’s probably a hairline split in the upper seem of the Reservoir tank. So I’m gonna live with it till it lets lose if it ever does

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.