Cooling fan issue

JohnnyLS89

Reaction score
Well I discovered recently when I was parked my engine temp started to rise and when I drove it it started to cool down. Popped the hood when the temp was near H and the fans weren't running. Relay, fuse, all new fan? Any ideas

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
might also be the CCRM or the connector at the fan.
Pull codes and listen at the begining of the test, you'll hear some relays clicking then you'll hear the cooling fan come on (low speed for a couple seconds then the hi speed fan for a couple seconds).
If the fans don't come on, then you'll need to troubleshoot with a meter to find out why.
If the fans do come on then it's likely your temp sensor.

OP
OP
JohnnyLS89

JohnnyLS89

Reaction score
The fan doesn't come on and when you turn on A/C it doesn't turn it on either. From time to time the LOW COOLANT light will flicker on and off randomly when driving. It either flashes for about 10 secs or stays on for 1 minute at random through out the day. The radiator has fluid in it and the reservoir does as well. Idk if this is related to the issue

toyman

Reaction score
The low fluid sender is in the overflow bottle and doesn't affect anything. I would pull the bottle a clean the years of sludge in the bottom and the sending unit. That will likely solve the dash light issue. Dash temp gauge is known not to be all that accurate You'll need to verify actual temps before you can draw conclusions about the fan although with the AC turned on with the car at idle the high fan should come on. As mentioned earlier there several possible failure items that might be causing the fan to not turn on.

OP
OP
JohnnyLS89

JohnnyLS89

Reaction score
Well after letting it heat up the fans kick on right when its out of the normal range and the gauge goes back down to 3/4th of the way up then climbs again

toyman

Reaction score
The behavior is normal. You are putting too much trust in the relative position of the gauge needle. The dash sending unit is not expensive so you might try replacing it to see if the position changes. You will note that Ford called every position between the "N" and "L" as normal.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well after letting it heat up the fans kick on right when its out of the normal range and the gauge goes back down to 3/4th of the way up then climbs again

I assume it was only the low speed fan coming on and not the hi speed. correct?

The behavior is normal. You are putting too much trust in the relative position of the gauge needle. The dash sending unit is not expensive so you might try replacing it to see if the position changes. You will note that Ford called every position between the "N" and "L" as normal.

An actual guage or a laser temp gun can get you a more accurate temp to know for sure at what temp the fan is coming on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online