Cooling fan

SN95.oh

Reaction score
When should my fan be coming on ? My temp stays in the lower end towards cook

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Cool? You must mean cool. The fan temp is set in the tune, but your temp gauge doesn’t really read temp. It’s more of a dummy gauge that will read ok and then swing all the way to overheat when you hit like 240°

OP
OP
SN95.oh

SN95.oh

Reaction score
Yes cool, ideally though ? When should the fan come on ?

OP
OP
SN95.oh

SN95.oh

Reaction score
the a/c needs a charger and it’s a convertible so I never have it on. It was hot as ⚾️ today, drove it for maybe 100 miles, temp gage never got above a touch over c… also had a strange issue where the battery gage would surge all the way to 18 , the battery light would come on as well as the anti lock brake light under full throttle with the clutch in. With it out in Neutral the battery gage was at half way and the lights were off ?? Any idea? Battery and alternator are less than a year old and have less than 600 miles on them.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
the a/c needs a charger and it’s a convertible so I never have it on. It was hot as ⚾️ today, drove it for maybe 100 miles, temp gage never got above a touch over c… also had a strange issue where the battery gage would surge all the way to 18 , the battery light would come on as well as the anti lock brake light under full throttle with the clutch in. With it out in Neutral the battery gage was at half way and the lights were off ?? Any idea? Battery and alternator are less than a year old and have less than 600 miles on them.
That certainly sounds like a failing voltage regulator. You could have another bad alternator. Over charging will cause all sorts of electrical oddities

OP
OP
SN95.oh

SN95.oh

Reaction score
shoot, that stinks. I’m going to change the battery first, then call the shop that did the work to see if the part had a warranty. If not I’ll order a new one from LMR and go from there… car runs like a raped ape though

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
shoot, that stinks. I’m going to change the battery first, then call the shop that did the work to see if the part had a warranty. If not I’ll order a new one from LMR and go from there… car runs like a raped ape though
Yeah, I’d give them a call and see what they say about it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have another battery to put in to try then go for it but I would not recommend going out to buy one to do this.

OP
OP
SN95.oh

SN95.oh

Reaction score
if you have another battery to put in to try then go for it but I would not recommend going out to buy one to do this.
I work at a VERY nice salvage yard that specializes in high end, low mile stuff Nationwide Auto Recycling in Lancaster MA. I’ll grab a battery Monday, it’s likely the crap battery that’s spewing out water/acid mix and the voltage meter on the alternator which looks serviceable.08BE75E3-284A-4CE8-BB44-EB62C86BC4A9.jpeg

This is my daily and other baby! She’s not terribly Happy with sleeping outside

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Yes cool, ideally though ? When should the fan come on ?
The stock 94-95 Ford cooling fan settings according to CBAZA (94/95 Ford Mustang strategy) along with a stock thermostat 192F to 195F.

Low Speed On Temp 216.00
Low Speed Off Temp 212.00
High Speed On Temp 224.00
High Speed Off 220.00

A lower temperature thermostat sets the floor, and not a ceiling on engine temperatures. The lower the thermostat the more heat the system has to reject. The higher the ambient temperature, the less temp differential you have to work with. Trying to keep a system at 160F by blowing 100F air across the radiator is much tougher than trying to keep it at 195F. You simply don't have to reject as much heat with the higher thermostat. And, you have a bigger delta-T (100F vs. 195F) to work with. The bigger the temp difference between ambient temp and control temp, the easier it is to reject more heat."

The thermostat helps the engine warm when the engine is cold. The engine is designed to operate at its operating temperature, and not below it. Most engine wear happens when the engine is cold, once it's warmed there is very little wear in a healthy engine.

If the engine is operating below normal operating temperature, the bearings, rings, and other components will see more wear and unfavorable conditions than they would at normal operating temperature. Simply put, a hotter engine runs cleaner. Today's oils have detergents in them, a hotter engine allows the detergents to do their job more efficiently. If an engine runs at too low of a temperature it's inefficient. Some side effects are, dirty oil, which will add more wear and reduce horsepower, deposits form, and fuel mileage will suffer, and for those of us who are concerned with the environment, exhaust emissions will increase.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

Last edited:
OP
OP
SN95.oh

SN95.oh

Reaction score
The stock 94-95 Ford cooling fan settings according to CBAZA (94/95 Ford Mustang strategy) along with a stock thermostat 192F to 195F.

Low Speed On Temp 216.00
Low Speed Off Temp 212.00
High Speed On Temp 224.00
High Speed Off 220.00

A lower temperature thermostat sets the floor, and not a ceiling on engine temperatures. The lower the thermostat the more heat the system has to reject. The higher the ambient temperature, the less temp differential you have to work with. Trying to keep a system at 160F by blowing 100F air across the radiator is much tougher than trying to keep it at 195F. You simply don't have to reject as much heat with the higher thermostat. And, you have a bigger delta-T (100F vs. 195F) to work with. The bigger the temp difference between ambient temp and control temp, the easier it is to reject more heat."

The thermostat helps the engine warm when the engine is cold. The engine is designed to operate at its operating temperature, and not below it. Most engine wear happens when the engine is cold, once it's warmed there is very little wear in a healthy engine.

If the engine is operating below normal operating temperature, the bearings, rings, and other components will see more wear and unfavorable conditions than they would at normal operating temperature. Simply put, a hotter engine runs cleaner. Today's oils have detergents in them, a hotter engine allows the detergents to do their job more efficiently. If an engine runs at too low of a temperature it's inefficient. Some side effects are, dirty oil, which will add more wear and reduce horsepower, deposits form, and fuel mileage will suffer, and for those of us who are concerned with the environment, exhaust emissions will increase.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer
Spot on, really appreciate it. I think a cheap, defective battery is to blame

badass98svt

Reaction score
I work at a VERY nice salvage yard that specializes in high end, low mile stuff Nationwide Auto Recycling in Lancaster MA. I’ll grab a battery Monday, it’s likely the crap battery that’s spewing out water/acid mix and the voltage meter on the alternator which looks serviceable.View attachment 19041

This is my daily and other baby! She’s not terribly Happy with sleeping outside

Tewksbury here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online