cooling problem

5.0l cory

Reaction score
I would like to get some help my engine cooling fan won't come on and my car runs hot my heat and a/c only runs on hi not low or medium all help would be appreciated because this is driving me nuts

rw95gt

Reaction score
These cars are known for the fan not coming on sometimes. My car is doing the same thing actually. Someone did a write up on how to install a manual switch that jumps the fan from tapping into a wire on the control module by the fan. I will see if I can find it. This way you can cut it on once the car warms up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
5.0l cory

5.0l cory

Reaction score
thank you but would u know why my heat and a/c only works on hi and not low or med I cant find anything yet to why this doing it

rw95gt

Reaction score
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/499.shtml

Write up on the manual fan switch. Very simple.

I'm not sure I understand your question about your ac. Do you mean it's not cold unless it's on high? Or the fan for the ac only blows on high? If the cooling fan doesn't turn on your car will run hot and you won't have cold ac unless you are moving down the highway at a decent speed. If you cooling fan isn't working your ccrm could be bad, ect sensor could be bad or the fan itself could be bad. I'm leaning towards the ect sensor because it sounds like the cooling fan works when you have your ac on.

OP
OP
5.0l cory

5.0l cory

Reaction score
When i go to turn on the heat or the a/c both will only blow on hi nothing for low or medium i put a new coolent sensor in the engine cooling fan i put in last year

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/499.shtml

Write up on the manual fan switch. Very simple.

I'm not sure I understand your question about your ac. Do you mean it's not cold unless it's on high? Or the fan for the ac only blows on high? If the cooling fan doesn't turn on your car will run hot and you won't have cold ac unless you are moving down the highway at a decent speed. If you cooling fan isn't working your ccrm could be bad, ect sensor could be bad or the fan itself could be bad. I'm leaning towards the ect sensor because it sounds like the cooling fan works when you have your ac on.

He has 2 problems, The radiator fan and the interior fan.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do you want to fix it right or redneck the rad fan.
Fixing it right requires some trouble shooting.
Redneck fix requires a rectal cranial inversion. See above instructions.
First lets see is the fans even work. Plug in your code scanner or paperclip to pull codes. One of the first things you'll hear is series of relays clicking followed by the low speed fan then the high speed fan.
Also the high speed fan is supposed to come on when the a/c is turned on. Does it?
The fan will also come on when you unplug the coolant temp sensor. Does it?
Do you have a miltimeter or test light?

There are 2 coolant temp sensore on the 5.0. 1 feeds the dummy temp guage and the other feeds the computer.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
First lets see is the fans even work. Plug in your code scanner or paperclip to pull codes. One of the first things you'll hear is series of relays clicking followed by the low speed fan then the high speed fan.
Also the high speed fan is supposed to come on when the a/c is turned on. Does it?

There are 2 coolant temp sensore on the 5.0. 1 feeds the dummy temp guage and the other feeds the computer.

Bravo, great advice given above. Fix your problem instead of doing the work around. As it was mentioned above, the OP has (2) separate problems. Fix your cooling fan issue first and then move on to your blower motor for your A/C.

OP
OP
5.0l cory

5.0l cory

Reaction score
the resistor went on the a/c and heat only works in the hi setting. now for the cooling fan my friend has a code reader because the check engine light does come on and off when I am driving but when iam parked and the car idling the check engine light will not come on when I turn the a/c on hi the engine cooling fan does come on

rw95gt

Reaction score

Really?.... Nothing redneck about running a manual switch for the fan. The instructions clearly say it will still work like normal when the fan is off. I was also trying to figure out what exactly was wrong with his car. The switch is a quick fix so he can drive the car and it not over heat and it's nice to have that option imo. The fan not working can only be 3 things. The fan itself, the ect sensor or the ccrm. If the fan comes on when he turns the ac on it is the ect sensor. If the fan doesn't it needs to be jumped to see if it is good. If it's good when jumped it's the ccrm if it's not working jumped it's the fan. Sorry for trying to help a fellow member with redneck advice.

95opal

Reaction score
Really?.... Nothing redneck about running a manual switch for the fan. The instructions clearly say it will still work like normal when the fan is off. I was also trying to figure out what exactly was wrong with his car. The switch is a quick fix so he can drive the car and it not over heat and it's nice to have that option imo. The fan not working can only be 3 things. The fan itself, the ect sensor or the ccrm. If the fan comes on when he turns the ac on it is the ect sensor. If the fan doesn't it needs to be jumped to see if it is good. If it's good when jumped it's the ccrm if it's not working jumped it's the fan. Sorry for trying to help a fellow member with redneck advice. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Im with /\ nothing redneck about a manual fan set up what so ever. I intentionally set my car up with a manual switch for more control. The only time i need to have the fan running is if im in stop and go traffic. Otherwise cruising the car sits around 180 with no fan on. Everything else stated is spot on.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
the resistor went on the a/c and heat only works in the hi setting. now for the cooling fan my friend has a code reader because the check engine light does come on and off when I am driving but when iam parked and the car idling the check engine light will not come on when I turn the a/c on hi the engine cooling fan does come on

OK good. at least now we know the fan does work on High.
Why wait for your friend? Learn to pull codes yourself. Either get your own OBD1 reader or a Haynes manual and a paperclip.
You could even search youtube for how to do it with a paperclip.

Turn the ignition on and pull the ECT sensor to see if the fan comes on. If it doesn't, pull the other ECT sensor. You may have replaced the wrong one before.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Im with /\ nothing redneck about a manual fan set up what so ever. I intentionally set my car up with a manual switch for more control. The only time i need to have the fan running is if im in stop and go traffic.
The problem with the manual switch is people used them all the time which led to burnt fan connectors and wires. Then with the temporary fix in place they never get around to fixing the original problem. Bottom line, fix the problem.

95opal

Reaction score
The problem with the manual switch is people used them all the time which led to burnt fan connectors and wires. Then with the temporary fix in place they never get around to fixing the original problem. Bottom line, fix the problem.

Yes the fan plug would heat up and melt, its a 94-95 fan plug recall. The manual switch causing that is nothing more than a myth. Would i suggest leaving your fan on high all the time ... no would i say a manual set up is for everyone. ... no. But if your conscious of all your gauges and arent semi-retarded theres nothing wrong with the manual fan.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
The manual switch causing that is nothing more than a myth. But if your conscious of all your gauges and arent semi-retarded theres nothing wrong with the manual fan.
As far as the myth thing, this is what I was told by a people I talked with at Ford that deal with Ford electronics on a Engine Management level. Let me check in with them and see if I can get more information.

The modification of slicing into the stk. wiring harness to do this mod is suspect at best because most people just don't know the proper technique for doing that. In the end, it's not something I would recommend anyone doing. If you or anyone else feels they need to keep better control of their cooling temperatures, may I ask what for? Let your cooling system do what it was design to do. If it can't keep your vehicle in the range it is designed for, then your have other problems which need to be addressed.

95opal

Reaction score
As far as the myth thing, this is what I was told by a people I talked with at Ford that deal with Ford electronics on a Engine Management level. Let me check in with them and see if I can get more information.

The modification of slicing into the stk. wiring harness to do this mod is suspect at best because most people just don't know the proper technique for doing that. In the end, it's not something I would recommend anyone doing. If you or anyone else feels they need to keep better control of their cooling temperatures, may I ask what for? Let your cooling system do what it was design to do. If it can't keep your vehicle in the range it is designed for, then your have other problems which need to be addressed.

Here is the recall straight from ford.

NHTSA Campaign Number : 01I011000Summary :
This is not a safety recall in accordance with the Safety Act. However, it is deemed a safety improvement campaign by the agency. Vehicle Description: 1995 Taurus/Sable passenger vehicles equipped with 3.0L and 3.8L engines and 1995 Ford Mustang vehicles with 3.8L and 5.0L engines. It is possible for the engine cooling fan bearing to seize.
Possible Consequences :
Should this occur, excessive heat could be generated which could melt the fan motor electrical connector. Components inside the cooling fan motor could ignite potentially resulting in an underhood fire.
Corrective Action :
Dealers will replace the engine cooling fan motor assembly at no charge to consumers. Ford is extending the limited warranty on the engine cooling fan motor to a total of 8 years or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners at no charge. If the vehicle already has more than 100,000 miles, this coverage will last until June 30, 2002. If the consumer has paid to have this service done before December 2001, Ford is offering a refund. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332, concerning this program

As to why would you want fan control. Number one because the stock fan settings blow, literally. Hence why most people change them via a tune or dc fan controllers or by going with a switch set up. Also I wanted to be able to turn on my fans even if the motor is off. There is absolutely no problem with my old set up cooling the motor as I stated car ran right around 180-185 with the fan off. Only needed to kick it on a few seconds in stop and go traffic otherwise I could drive from Ct to Fl without ever running the fan. I have no doubts my new set up will be the same. I also stated a manual switch wasn't for everyone. You also don't have to tap into the ccrm wiring you can set it up with a 60amp relay and a fan controller. There's a million ways to skin a cat and saying ford knows the only way to do it is crazy.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Yes the fan plug would heat up and melt, its a 94-95 fan plug recall. The manual switch causing that is nothing more than a myth.
You're correct, "the fan plug recall" has nothing to do with the manual switch as you stated above.

The reason why Ford doesn't like the manual switch is the cooling fans are not designed to be run continuously, they are meant and designed for intermittent operation. The high speed fan has a large current draw on it's associated components (wiring, fan plug and fan) and over time will melt the wiring insulation and fan plug. So Ford was never going to offer a TSB on something that was never intended for continuous operation and is a modification of the end user. You use your manual switch responsibly while others didn't which led to burnt wires and burnt fan connectors that's what I'm talking about.

I respect your opinion and others on thinking the stk. fan setting blow. Personally, I think Mustang owners try to re-engineer things because we feel we know more than Ford Engineers and sometimes I'm guilty of this too. But I have almost 300k miles on my car and I run with the stk. fan settings since day one. So it's my opinion to think that they are fine for everyday driving and for making tons of HP too.

You stated "You also don't have to tap into the ccrm wiring you can set it up with a 60amp relay and a fan controller. There's a million ways to skin a cat and saying ford knows the only way to do it is crazy". Honestly, I don't know the different ways to do it. Was pointing out, that owners who know nothing about proper wiring techniques who choose to splice into their harness aren't going to do it correctly.

In the end, Mustang owners will do what they want so rock on. :headbang:

OP
OP
5.0l cory

5.0l cory

Reaction score
I put in a 192 yesterday and today the fan was running and the car never got hotter than 210 but when I had a 180 in had nothing but problems and the rad hose would get so big it looked liked it was going to blow off and it would heat up to 250 I think 210 is still to hot .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online