Copper wheels

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I was wanting to use the black Duplicolor caliper kit, however I want to leave the yellow on the "Saleen". Does anyone know how I could cover the yellow up and paint it without blacking out the yellow lettering? I was thinking maybe pushing some wax into the letters then pick it out after the paint has dried? Seems risky though...

(One last pic for now)

P1000095_zpscvthvhpm.jpg

Thanks for the input and likes gentlemen!

Paint the entire caliper and let dry.

Take some model paint of your color choice and fill in letters (may only be able to do a few at a time).
Take a rag and wrap it around one of a couple of your fingers.

Make sure your fingers are parallel to caliper surface and wipe excess away from body - model paint will stay in the lettering.

Use enamel type paint (acrylic is thinner and may get soaked up by the rag when wiping)

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I used a paint brush to do my cobra calipers..

On another note, how do you like prismatic powders? How much did they charge if you dont mind me asking..

2013-05-30_07-41-10_484_zpsefd5b004.jpg

OP
OP
Witzy0070

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I used a paint brush to do my cobra calipers..

On another note, how do you like prismatic powders? How much did they charge if you dont mind me asking..

2013-05-30_07-41-10_484_zpsefd5b004.jpg

My coater had the powder in stock. I was charged 260 dollars for the blasting, coating, curing. I had done some research and talked to the company I dealt with on Prismatic Powders. They are quite well renowned and used frequently. It's a large company with a strong reputation. They will send you free swatches and the powder swatch I observed matched to my wheels. I would recommend them.

Your calipers look excellent! What kind of paint did you use?

OP
OP
Witzy0070

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Paint the entire caliper and let dry.

Take some model paint of your color choice and fill in letters (may only be able to do a few at a time).
Take a rag and wrap it around one of a couple of your fingers.

Make sure your fingers are parallel to caliper surface and wipe excess away from body - model paint will stay in the lettering.

Use enamel type paint (acrylic is thinner and may get soaked up by the rag when wiping)

So fill and wipe method? Sounds legit. Thank you.

OP
OP
Witzy0070

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I have heard of people using vasoline to coat small areas like that they didnt want painted but it seems like it might be easier to coat the whole thing black and go back with like a touch pen or a small brush and do the Saleen logo.

Wheel color looks awesome btw

Does seem counterproductive... Thanks though, it would appear the consensus is to paint them all black then fill in the letters.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I used engine enamel. Turned out great. Just have a super clean surface and let it dry for a few hours.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My coater had the powder in stock. I was charged 260 dollars for the blasting, coating, curing. I had done some research and talked to the company I dealt with on Prismatic Powders. They are quite well renowned and used frequently. It's a large company with a strong reputation. They will send you free swatches and the powder swatch I observed matched to my wheels. I would recommend them.

Your calipers look excellent! What kind of paint did you use?

$260 total?

That isn't bad at all if so.

OP
OP
Witzy0070

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Thanks man, yeah they look better in person. Once the weather warms up here in a few weeks I'll get the camera going and get some natural light pictures.

Keith5.0

Reaction score
At first i was like meh... then I saw the post explaining the color and glad I waited for the last pic because that's a really nice color!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online