Corbeau Harness Bar - Binding?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recently bought a used harness bar and got it powder coated. I love the way it looks!

Before anyone lectures me on safety of harness bar vs cage... I don't really plan on using it. I want it for appearance and to starting point to fabricate a camera mount of road trips. I rarely track my car and don't go hard, hoping to get a track dedicated car down the road.

My understanding was the bar would allow you to used the factory belts for street use. When I've installed the bar I find it just binds up my factory belts and makes them totally useless. I'm pretty sure I've followed all the instructions and installed it correctly. Edit: I should clarify that the belt loop is able to rotate, the binding seems to happen on the back side of the bar where the belt comes out of the panel up the bolt on the pillar. There's enough contact that it won't allow the belt to retract/tension.

Anyone else experience this? Solution?

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The red arrow is where it seems to bind up the belt. The blue arrow is the top connector and that is able to rotate similarly to how it does factory.

8aRgVhP.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with these bars; though looking at your picture, it looks like the bar attaches at 4 points: 1 at each of the seat belt upper attachemnts, and 1 each at the "struts" that run to the floor (to I assume the lower seat belt attachments).

If the bar is causing a bind, would it be possible to loosen the bolts where the bar and "struts" attach, then loosen the upper seat belt attachment bolts, and sort of the pivot the bar forward a little bit to provide a hair more clearance for the belt at the red arrow?

Kind of like if you were to face your rear seats, grab the bar over-hand with both hands, and rotate your wrists DOWN - which would cause the bar to rotate upwards towards your face?

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did try that without the rods installed, didn't seem to make enough difference, might try it again though. That's the only thing I can think of

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I ran that harness bar for a while. I don't remember the binding being so bad that it interfered with the function of the belt. The bar does have some wiggle room. If you haven't yet, try adjusting it as forward as possible away from that area it's in contact with.

Like this.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think I figured it out, I just needed some more time to adjust the supporting bars. I thought they were just there for support so just adjust them so they match up and put them in tension. They really are need to pull the bar forward so it doesn't rub the seatbelt. will update build thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online