Correct 94-95 Cobra Oil Filter

95whitevenom

Reaction score
This question has came up on several different forums off and on. I figured if anyone who has a 94-95 cobra the first time you do an oil change you may end up asking this question.

Yes when you go to a auto parts store they will likely give you the wrong filter. The GT's and the Cobra has different filters. both with the same diameter but klength is what is different.

The GT oil filter will barely clear the swaybar on the Cobras (I know I have tried and used one for full 3,000 miles. Its beacuse of the oil cooler taking up space.

The correct filter for the Cobras is much shorter. There for causeing no clearence problems and a much easier install.

bimmertech

Reaction score
it is shorter cuz the long style filter will not clear the k-member because of the cobra having the factory oil cooler. the oil cooler lines also prohibit the use of a conventional short belt routing.

rgs

Reaction score
i went to my parts store once and they were out of gt k&n filters so i got a cobra one thinking they should be the same.....WRONG :(

OP
OP

95whitevenom

Reaction score
It will not hurt running one filter or the other. I've ran the GT filter before.
Same for gt's it will not hurt running the Cobra filter.
Also its not the K-member prohibiting it. That Small round bar that is in the way is the front sway bar and yes as I stated the oil cooler makes the filter stick out further.

rgs

Reaction score
95whitevenom said:
It will not hurt running one filter or the other. I've ran the GT filter before.
Also its not the K-member prohibiting it. That Small round bar that is in the way is the front sway bar and yes as I stated the oil cooler makes the filter stick out further.

for me it wasnt that the cobra oil filter wouldnt fit because of the k member or anything, it was because i think the little center part that screws in is a different size than the normal gt one

Dekorum

Reaction score
So how do you make sure an autoparts store gives you the right filter for a 94-95 Cobra?
What type of filter do 94 Cobras use? (I just got a 94 Cobra btw and never changed the oil yet)

95Boss

Reaction score
I would recommend a Ford FL-1HP for a 5 liter. Especially if you have done some performance mods.

95Boss

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Fram filters. Quality wise, they are not as good.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
rgs said:
95whitevenom said:

for me it wasnt that the cobra oil filter wouldnt fit because of the k member or anything, it was because i think the little center part that screws in is a different size than the normal gt one

They must have given you the wrong filter or something. GTs and Cobra share the same engine block, and thusly, the same oil filter boss.

VulcanGT

Reaction score
cobras and gts do use the same block, but not the same oil filter. the cobra 5.0 uses a motorcraft fl-300. the gt uses an fl1a

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online