Coupe to Convertible Rear Speaker Mounting

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I really like the mounting of the rear speakers in the convertible versus the coupe, especially with subs. My thought is that the pressure from the subs would distort the sound by changing the movement of the mid range woofer. That being said, anyone ever do some custom work to change the location of the coupe speakers from the rear deck to the rear side panels?

My plan in my Cobra is to run the Pioneer AVHX4600 or AVHX5600 HU, Diamond Audio or Hertz Components, Diamond Audio 10s, and Diamond Audio amps.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have the AVH5600BHS in my DD - it's a really good HU, I'm quite happy with it.

05.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure what moving the location of your mid would do to change your theory, and honestly the vert locations are horrible since they are blocked by the seats. I thought about putting a sub in there and saw a neat build where someone did on a vert but otherwise I would not go through the trouble of putting a mid there. The vert people would rather put them in the rear deck.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
not sure what moving the location of your mid would do to change your theory, and honestly the vert locations are horrible since they are blocked by the seats. I thought about putting a sub in there and saw a neat build where someone did on a vert but otherwise I would not go through the trouble of putting a mid there. The vert people would rather put them in the rear deck.

I am not a musical engineer so my thought process could be all jacked up but; here it is.

Speakers create sound by the movement of the speaker itself; especially bass notes. Since the Sub is cut off at 80-120hz, depending on your preference, the mid woofer picks up the higher bass frequencies.

My thought is that the pressure created by the subs in the trunk would muddle the sound by not allowing the mids in the rear deck to move more freely. Essentially, I feel that the speakers in the rear deck are fighting the air pressure created by the subs, thus causing some sound degradation.

Hopefully somebody with more insight than me could chime in and tell me if I am wrong or just overthinking this.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it would not matter where the subs are located since it creates a positive pressure situation once it is inside the vehicle and running. Unless you are in a serious spl vehicle it should not be an issue.

InstaBurn

Reaction score
I know for sure, on the convertible rear pods, the chamber of the woofer location is isolated from the smaller "tweeter" location.
There is no cross-talk within the enclosure.
Not sure about the coupe...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There was one person I think on here that did an enclosure in the rear vert location for 8's. Its been a while though and it was mainly fiberglass. Not sure what your comfort with that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online