couple of issues

Jbarker83

Reaction score
i have a 2001 ford mustang gt convertible 5 speed 97k on it. I am noticing a couple issues

1st: when i turn the steering wheel left or right a here a little squeak which is annoying

2nd: my clutch pedal makes a slight rattle noise when car is idle or at a stop i put a finger on the pedal and it stops. i dont think its the clutch or throw out bearing car drives fine. seems more like a interior rattle you get from various things

my car is away for the winter so trying to gather info for fixing it in the spring any help would be great thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your issue could be an individual thing only pertaining to that car. Sounds like jumping in and dig through it to find yhe problems.

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
no digging right now and also don't want to tear up the car before getting some good ideas about what it might be so far seems some have had similar issues from what ive been reading online

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Need more details.

1: is it all stock or does it have mods?

2: can you get a video of the squeak?

I ask about mods cause if you have a firewall clutch adjuster then good chance you don’t have the cable adjusted correctly or you need to do the spring mod at the end where it attaches to the arm. If it’s stock then cable could be stretching. I know on 94-95 they have adjustable pedals. I’m not sure if the new edge did. If they do you just put your toes under the pedal and pull up. It should click.

As far as squeaky turns, do you have urethane bushings all thru the front or is it stock?? Lots of people complain of the squeaks with urethane. If stock then you probably have lots of worn out suspension bushings and mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
Need more details.

1: is it all stock or does it have mods?

2: can you get a video of the squeak?

I ask about mods cause if you have a firewall clutch adjuster then good chance you don’t have the cable adjusted correctly or you need to do the spring mod at the end where it attaches to the arm. If it’s stock then cable could be stretching. I know on 94-95 they have adjustable pedals. I’m not sure if the new edge did. If they do you just put your toes under the pedal and pull up. It should click.

As far as squeaky turns, do you have urethane bushings all thru the front or is it stock?? Lots of people complain of the squeaks with urethane. If stock then you probably have lots of worn out suspension bushings and mounts.

Some bolt ons but nothing to do with steering or clutch. the clutch pedal can't be adjusted by pulling up ive tried that.

i cant get access to the car till spring so i cant try things till then just trying to get some ideas. i had another 01 and it didn't do anything like this so idk if its some bushings or something worn out loose etc tried looking didnt see anything

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It could possibly be the throwout. Mine did the exact same thing. Drove fine and only noticeable at idle sitting still. Barely touch the pedal and it stopped. It lasted that way for 6 months before it blew apart. But I also had the issue with the pedal one other time and it was an aftermarket cable stretching. Hard to determine without getting under the car and checking the cable first.

As far as bushings go, they may appear ok when the car is jacked up or on the ground. But put them under pressure and they twist as they are no longer providing support as they should.

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
It could possibly be the throwout. Mine did the exact same thing. Drove fine and only noticeable at idle sitting still. Barely touch the pedal and it stopped. It lasted that way for 6 months before it blew apart. But I also had the issue with the pedal one other time and it was an aftermarket cable stretching. Hard to determine without getting under the car and checking the cable first.

As far as bushings go, they may appear ok when the car is jacked up or on the ground. But put them under pressure and they twist as they are no longer providing support as they should.

wouldn't the bear make some kind of noise ? i can't believe just the pedal would rattle lightly and thats it
the steering squeak sounds like you can hear it in the car by the wheel where would the bushings be ? im not familar with this car or steering etc

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your cable is not stretched then it should be under pressure and not loose. Post a vid of the rattle. Hard for people to diagnose or suggest things as what you hear and what we hear might be different.

The steering rack has 2 mounts t bushings that wear out. Look there first in the spring

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
winter sucks lol alright ill respond to this thread when weather permits thanks for the help

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If it squeaks when you sit still and turn it, the squeak is present and constant until you stop turning, and it close to the tire, its probably ball joints.

The sound you are hearing as far as the clutch pedal surely sounds like the throwout bearing going bad. If you suspect an interior noise, at idle, lift up on the clutch pedal with your foot. Thatll put pressure on everything and if its interior noise, it should stop. If the squeal is still there then its likely the throwout bearing.

FYI, the new edge cars still have the factory adjustable clutch quadrant. More than likely, yours is just adjusted all the way up.

07GtS197

Reaction score
One thing Id like to add about the squeaking when turning the wheel is that it is very common and is usually the steering rack bushing sleeves, or whatever its called. There is a tsb out there. My 02 has it and really I could care less. And I couldnt get the damn things out without a slide hammer haha.

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
the steering squeak stops once the wheel turns in either direction its not constant its very faint like a mouse lol. The clutch pedal also is faint but annoying enough like i said if i barely put a finger on it noise stops from the pedal ive got in there and seen what its touching to make the noise but have no idea what to do

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score
put white lithium grease on the bushing under the car and it went away added long tube headers and my clutch pedal stopped vibrating lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Holy shit!!! 7 months later he’s still alive!!! Lol

Glad it all mysteriously worked out

OP
OP
Jbarker83

Jbarker83

Reaction score