Couple questions about my 96

arena314

Reaction score
Ok so my 96 gt has a temp guage that goes from 100 to 250 and it's usually around 200 but sometimes especially on a hot day I'll see it at like 210-213 is this normal? one time I was in traffic on a highway and it was 95 outside and I put the air on and it went up to 220 then I turned it off and it went down to about 200-210 is all this normal? And another question is my car has a tr3650 trans in it and it had a leak in the rear seal so I got that fixed but it's still leaking somewhere. Where could it be leaking from? Thanks in advance for any help

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I like to see my temps below water boiling point. Up to 210 would be acceptable. Some guys will comment back and say that 220 in traffic is ok but I prefer to stay a little cooler. As for the trans leak, you will have to get under there and look at it. If its coming from the rear seal then either your bushing is bad or the driveshaft slip yoke is bad. Pull the drive shaft out and examine the end. look for grooves and knicks.

OP
OP
A

arena314

Reaction score
So my Temps are normal you'd say? And my buddy is a mechanic and he knows alot about these cars he's the one who put the new seal in as I watched him do it and when he pulled the drive shaft out I didn't inspect it much but I would think he would of because he usually inspects everything and he didn't say anything unusual about it

OP
OP
A

arena314

Reaction score
He said it's possible it could be leaking from the top where the shifter connects

OP
OP
A

arena314

Reaction score
Ok so after asking around and researching I believe it's leaking from the shifter and they don't have gaskets for that so I need to silicone it

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ok so after asking around and researching I believe it's leaking from the shifter and they don't have gaskets for that so I need to silicone it

Correct. No gasket for the shifter area, just make sure the surfaces are clean and hit them with a fine grit sandpaper. Also, make sure to follow the instructions on the RTV package.

OP
OP
A

arena314

Reaction score
Ok but is it common for these transmissions to leak our of this area?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Not really. Their is no pressure behind the fluid. Either the shifter has been dismounted and not resealed properly or the seal itself is giving up from age.

Do what lwarrior stated, but before you do, grab an aftermarket shifter.

OP
OP
A

arena314

Reaction score
It has an aftermarket short throw on it and I took it apart and put another seal in but I found the issue. One of the threads on the tranni is stripped out so I put a new seal in and it slowed down the leak but bc of the stripped thread it still drips a little bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online