Coyote owners need your input. (5.0s only)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My buddy let me drive his 2014 Track Pack 5oh 2 weeks ago. 6 speed stick, brembos, 3.73s, boss goodies etc... First let me say, the clutch and shifter in that car was extremely easy and daily driver friendly. I drove it like I'd been driving stick for 10 years, did suprisingly well and had no issues. I got on it twice, pulled like a freight train. That being said. How many of you went from a SN95 to a 5.0 Coyote? Or own both? I really like how smooth the coyote is, power it has stock, and potential to be a track/street monster. I'm considering getting a nice 2011 or 2012 since a 2013-2014 is way too expensive. Anything to look out for with these coyotes? I just want a stick coyote, track pack preferred, if not I won't cry over it. I really loved driving it around the parking lot, gotta get my buddy to let me take it on the street to really see what it behaves like. So basically I want a coyote..

teal95gt

Reaction score
ummmm yea..... coyote ****ing screams dude once you get on it with my longtubes, offroad x and flow 40's it has the most insane snarl to it at 2k rpm and when i get into high rpm like 5k plus it is ****ing insane it sounds so much better than my old 302 pushrod and the power it has is nuts in 3rd gear if I get on it its rocketship mode engaged but still quiet while im cruising like on the highway in 6th gear i spin like 1.5k rpm at 85 ish awesome mpg to. IMHO coyote swapped fox>new gt, so much lighter lol.

teal95gt

Reaction score
ill have to upload a video some how of getting on the highway in 3rd and punching it once the weather lightens up you will jizz at my exhaust note lol, I really want to get magnaflow mufflers on it in the near future they sound so good with new coyote engines, I just bought a magnaflow exhaust for my dodge truck it sounds so sexy perfect tone and the worksmanship of it is nuts compared to the flowmasters.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what to say other than, it's a no-brainer. Coyotes are ridiculously nice cars. The power is incredible, linear, and smooth right out of the box. They make 400+ rwhp with a couple of bolt-ons. They're about a million times nicer than SN95s and foxes.

The MT-82 manual transmission can be problematic if you get a bad one. The mainshaft endplay was out of spec on mine, causing lots of noise. The dealer replaced my entire transmission under warranty, but it took seven weeks, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I've also had problems with the rear brakes on my car, but nothing that wasn't difficult to repair. Now, it appears I have a very small leak in my A/C, but it only took 10 minutes and a can of refrigerant to fix.

The track pack and Brembos aren't a big deal. I wouldn't let that hold you back if you find a car that you otherwise like. Brembos are pretty readily available so they can be added later, and you can either have 4-piston 14" or 6-piston 15" setup from a Shelby. The Brembo cars also come with different shocks/struts/springs, but I hated mine and they shook the tires so hard I thought I was going to snap an axle. After I swapped the shocks/struts/springs on my car for a set of Koni Str.Ts and Steeda Ultralites, the wheel hop was completely gone and the car still rides great. The 13.75" rear brakes can be had off of a GT500 and all you have to do is swap brackets and rotors. It's easy and cheap. Also, don't be too concerned if your car has 3.31 gears. Mine has the track pack with the 3.73s, and they're very steep. The MT-82 has very steep gears compared to what we're used to with the SN95s and foxes. I just switched to a 315/35r20 NT05R, which is about 28.5" tall. That made first gear a little more bearable for me. The fastest guys have the automatic and 3.31s.

Take a look through my Coyote build thread for some ideas on good/easy mods.

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul's car is super tasteful, in depth but still not too crazy.

Although I don't own a coyote, I have a ton of time behind the wheel of a few plus track time.

Stupid power out of the box, good and reliable. Begging to get beat on. Trying to turn one into a handling machine, owner is preparing to order a watts link real soon.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I dunno. The panhard bar seems to do just fine. I suspect 99% of drivers can't find the limits of a bone-stock Coyote, let alone one with a bunch of suspension under them.

Nacho98

Reaction score
I agree, no brainer. Night and day between my '14 Brembo Auto and my '98 GT T5 I had. I still loved my '98, but the '14 pretty much annihilates the '98 in every category. Do it, you won't regret it. Also if you look hard, you can get NEW '14 base no option GTs for around $27k with all the rebates etc. I got $7k off my GT Premium and it was a special order (invoice - rebates - $750 coupon).

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with new. Find a good deal on a used one with some decent mods. The resale market sucks, and you can get some ridiculously nice cars for the same price as a new base GT.

My car is loaded to the gills with everything you can get (glass roof, nav, brembos, track pack, upgraded interior, etc) and I bought it used with 3900 miles for $11K less than sticker price (which is $44K for my car) and didn't pay tax or fees.

RichV

Reaction score
How do you not pay tax on a used car?

I'd go used as well, got my 05 because I just couldn't afford a Coyote. But just the chassis itself is way more solid. Even the 4.6 pulls that heavy pig extremely well, an it handles great. Good enough out of the box to leave a couple of STi, 3 series, and Miata owners scratching their heads when they got owned by a stock silver 05 GT at a few road courses. :D

Nacho98

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with new. Find a good deal on a used one with some decent mods. The resale market sucks, and you can get some ridiculously nice cars for the same price as a new base GT.

My car is loaded to the gills with everything you can get (glass roof, nav, brembos, track pack, upgraded interior, etc) and I bought it used with 3900 miles for $11K less than sticker price (which is $44K for my car) and didn't pay tax or fees.

The reason the resale sucks so bad is because the new ones can be had for such huge discounts. For ones off the lot it isn't unheard of to see them going for up to $9k-$10k off. The peace of mind of getting exactly what I wanted, being there to get it right off the truck, and knowing it had never had a hard mile or had any paintwork or even PDR was worth the extra few grand over used IMO.

Really you can't go wrong either way, new or slightly used.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno. The panhard bar seems to do just fine. I suspect 99% of drivers can't find the limits of a bone-stock Coyote, let alone one with a bunch of suspension under them.

I think I have told you this before. The owner of one of the cars I'm talking about is saving for an aston martin. But still wants to mod this one, and he wants my guidance because he intends to cut me a huge deal on it when he gets the aston lol

So, watts link is my idea, because I push that car HARD when I drive it ;p

pilks

Reaction score
I went from an 04 GT Vert automatic, to a 98 GT 5 speed Coupe. Then went to a 2013 GT 6 speed manual Coupe. (Brembo Brake package and 3.55 rear gear). Everything about the coyote is wonderful, great gas mileage, great power, torque etc. its just an overall awesome machine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.