cracked intake maniflod

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i was on the way to pick my sister up from school and my car started to smoke. i pulled over and there was cooant everywhere. i let it cool down and brought it to the closest advanced auto. the guy there looked at it and he said that it looked like my water pump was messed up or the water pump seal. i dont live that far away so i filled it with coolant (full jug) and took it back home. i opened the hood when i got home and alot of steam/air was comin through a tiny hole in the intake maniflod. could it just be the intka emaniflod or could it be that and the water pump?

OP
OP

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
it started raining outside so i havent had a chance to get a good look at it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
its the intake...they crack at the front of the intake behind the alt and drip down onto the water pump making it confusing. There was a quiet recall but your way past that date...time for a new intake.

OP
OP

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
how hard is it to put a PI intake manifold on it and is it worth it? or sould i just get a non-PI manifold

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
how hard is it to put a PI intake manifold on it and is it worth it? or sould i just get a non-PI manifold

i ran one on my 98 ( the kit from livernois motorsports) it worked very well a solid 15hp or so gain, but I would have rather had the PI heads and cams to go with it

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
definately worth upgradeing to a PI...how much money do you have and how mechanical are you?

OP
OP

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
im pretty handy with a wrench plus my dad can help. im thinking im gonna check out a few local junkyards to try and find a newer PI intake with the aluminum crossover. the only part im worried about is drilling a hole for the other sensor.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
im pretty handy with a wrench plus my dad can help. im thinking im gonna check out a few local junkyards to try and find a newer PI intake with the aluminum crossover. the only part im worried about is drilling a hole for the other sensor.

OK now you have to remember the ports will NOT match up correctly, you will need the adapter plates to make a good seal between the heads and the PI intake......and yea I've seen guys use silicone to do it and they were as stupid as it looked with all that gunk all over the place to make a shity seal. Look on eBay for a set of the plates and if you have to call livernois and they can ship you a set I'm sure.

OP
OP

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
ive done some reading about it and most people said that they didnt like the adaptor lates and they barely used any rtv sealant.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
ive done some reading about it and most people said that they didnt like the adaptor lates and they barely used any rtv sealant.

you will need to see it first hand to know what im talking about, it is a PISS POOR job to use any kind of sealant on this, you will be the ass end of jokes if you rig it up TRUST ME :angel:. Its going to cost you a little more to do it right, but do it and be done with it...........and take pride when you pop your hood.

OP
OP

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
is there a place where you can just buy the adaptor plates and do i need to get it tuned with an xcal2 or something for it to run right?

plus, do PI heads match right up, because if they do it sounds like an easier way to go. 10 HP might not be worth it since there seems to be alot to do just to switch a manifold, but if switching the heads isnt too much worse, i might as well do it for 60 HP

Foster98GT

Reaction score
I HAVE THE SAME LEAK! It left of the alternator, almost at the very front of the intake. Its pin sized for now. Should i stop driving until i get it fixed or what?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Foster98GT, It depends on how bad it is tho, I was at the light and my friend wanted to hear the Flowmaster 40's so i revved up and it steamed up like crazy. I drove it home to find coolant everywhere lol.

The best thing to do is if you dont have the money right now is buy 50/50 antifreeze and keep filling up your overflow if its leaking badly. Next thing to is order the new part for example www.50resto.com has this part for around $230+ way better then a Ford Dealership trying to rape you because they charge $500 dollars for that part. It is basically a direct replacement and go to a reputable shop that you trust for them to install it...It cost around 600-700 for the whole thing instead of 1200.

Also!! this is very important!!! The coolant leak depending on the crack can ruin your alternator if you decide to drive it for a while like that! I had to completely replace the alternator because coolant was shooting thru the back of it ruining the whole thing so be extra careful and make wise decisions.

-Nate

Foster98GT

Reaction score
JerZeyStangz said:
Foster98GT, It depends on how bad it is tho, I was at the light and my friend wanted to hear the Flowmaster 40's so i revved up and it steamed up like crazy. I drove it home to find coolant everywhere lol.

The best thing to do is if you dont have the money right now is buy 50/50 antifreeze and keep filling up your overflow if its leaking badly. Next thing to is order the new part for example www.50resto.com has this part for around $230+ way better then a Ford Dealership trying to rape you because they charge $500 dollars for that part. It is basically a direct replacement and go to a reputable shop that you trust for them to install it...It cost around 600-700 for the whole thing instead of 1200.

Also!! this is very important!!! The coolant leak depending on the crack can ruin your alternator if you decide to drive it for a while like that! I had to completely replace the alternator because coolant was shooting thru the back of it ruining the whole thing so be extra careful and make wise decisions.

-Nate

Thanks for the valueable info. I would like to go the PI Intake route of course depending on the overall cost.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need any adapter plates when installing the PI Intake. You only need a small amount of RTV sealant...anyone who says RTV is not a good choice does not have a clue to what they are talking about. What do you think they used to use for gaskets back in the day. And the timing cover etc doesn't have a gasket its RTV. One of the only reasons they use gaskets is because of time...RTV needs to setup and cure for 24 hous...gaskets don't.

Let me know when your ready i'll email you pics of where to install the RTV.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
You don't need any adapter plates when installing the PI Intake. You only need a small amount of RTV sealant...anyone who says RTV is not a good choice does not have a clue to what they are talking about. What do you think they used to use for gaskets back in the day. And the timing cover etc doesn't have a gasket its RTV. One of the only reasons they use gaskets is because of time...RTV needs to setup and cure for 24 hous...gaskets don't.

Let me know when your ready i'll email you pics of where to install the RTV.

there is no way I would want that crap on my car and the shops around here ( Anderson Motorsports / Garst Motorspots / Wayne's Dyno in Jacksonville NC and Holcomb Motorsports in Lumberton) gets a good laugh when they see a car with piss poor work like using sealent instead of the proper equipment when installing mods like this. The bottom line is you use what you want on your car if you think gummed up silicone is the way to go use it, I (like most PROFESIONAL SHOPS) prefer to do quality, correct work that looks as good as it performs and that would be to use the plates that is specifically made for this application.The ports are COMPLETELY DIFFRENT and do NOT match up for crap and the adapter plates gives a perfect match for the PI intake to the non PI heads, so you have a smooth transition from one port to the next, every car I have seen with the old silicone seal ::) with the PI swap has always had air leaks and just been a bad install job. Everyone has their own opinions but like I said before the better you do your work the better your final product will be PERIOD. Im not trying to sell stuff for the manufactures Im just trying to keep good looking stangs looking and performing good under the hood. Just my 2c :p

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
People have been doing the PI Intake swap for 3 years now and i have never ever seen or heard of anyone who used the PI head gasket and RTV have a leak. You do understand that the RTV gets dotted in 2 small areas none of which air go through so an air leak is impossible!!! 2 water jackets get slightly dapped in the corner and thats it. RTV does not brake down from water/coolant so failure is not an option. I'm sure there where some people who tried it with the NPI gasket and did hack jobs...but i'm no hack, i give accurate info that i personally know is good or i don't give it at all!

Thats all it takes!!!
See that little spot of black RTV

piintakertv.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online