Cupholders again . . .

delling3

Reaction score
I have a '96 GT Convertible. I would like to locate and swap the center console to a later type with cupholders to replace the ashtray. I have switch cut-outs for both the convertible top and the fog lights, and am looking for a console that has provision for both. I found a console from an new edge on fleabay, but it only has one cut out. I think the '98 console had two cutouts, with coupes having a little coin-holder in place of the convertible top switch. Was this a one-year only console?

Thanks in advance!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know 94/95 had two. One for fogs and one for the vert switch/coin holder. Are you going to cut the ashtray out and put it in or are you wanting an entire new console? When they went to the double dins I think they moved the switches up to the radio bezel. IF the double din mod is something you have considered you can do it now and move the switches.

07GtS197

Reaction score
What Scott said. All 94-00 have 2 provisions on the console. The 01-04s have one because thats where the drop top switch is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Thinking of a complete swap. Sounds like 98-00 should be the target, since I think the ‘97 still had the ashtray?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Pretty much yeah but remember that the colors most likely wont be the same and will need to be painted to match your interior.

lutter94

Reaction score
Thinking of a complete swap. Sounds like 98-00 should be the target, since I think the ‘97 still had the ashtray?

Yes 94-97 is the same, 98-00 has the dual cup holder, where the ash tray is, two button locations. 01-04 has the buttons under the stereo, for fog lights etc, so you only get one rocker switch position on those.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Having had all 3 styles of consoles I can tell you the New Edge style is the only one worth having. I didn't feel like there was a good spot to put the fog light switch in the new console I just hard wired my fog light so they come on when the headlights are on. Check out page 5 of my build thread.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, what about the new edge console do you think is superior? I have heard some complain that the cupholders on the prior generation car were to far forward, causing interference with the shifting, but my car has a slush-box, so I don't think that's an issue. What are the other differences?

trebor3170

Reaction score
So, what about the new edge console do you think is superior? I have heard some complain that the cupholders on the prior generation car were to far forward, causing interference with the shifting, but my car has a slush-box, so I don't think that's an issue. What are the other differences?

That's it, I modified my 95 console to accept the later cup holders, the front one is unusable with anything other than maybe a 12oz can in it, and honestly, the rear one is in the way with a tall cup in it. I suspect it would be OK with an auto.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Thanks Trebor. I just came home from the local pick and pull, scored a parchment console from a 2000 3.8L convertible. Top looked so nice I almost grabbed it too. Now I gotta get some paint to match the '96 black interior. If anyone has specific recommendations, please let me know.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Like Trebor said, front cupholder on the 98 style is useless with a manual trans. I used SEM Landau black. Perfect match for the 97 black interior.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t let anybody eat or drink in my car. This fixes the cup holder problem easily. [emoji1787]

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It has to be put together to drive it. [emoji23]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It has to be put together to drive it. [emoji23]

just this week I put the door panels on. Those were off when I had the wreck so just seeing them for the first time in 6-7 yrs is nice. Now if I can only get that damn airbag.....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just this week I put the door panels on. Those were off when I had the wreck so just seeing them for the first time in 6-7 yrs is nice. Now if I can only get that damn airbag.....

I can’t remember, did you do the big stereo customization to the doors before or after the wreck?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can’t remember, did you do the big stereo customization to the doors before or after the wreck?

before but I kept the old ones. After realizing that when I get back to the stereo that the cnc will make making those door enclosures much easier as well as a different way to go about it I just shoved some mb quart 5 x 7s in the doors and put the old panels back on. Still planning on the 9s in there and using the old panels but I need to get it back on the road first.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Here is a link to what the Edge style console looks like.

Dkblue98GT"s white 97 Cobra vert

That looks really good, man. Thumbs up! I don't think I have ever used the "flip-out from under the console lid when it's up, then put the console lid back down, cluster-f*** of a piss-poor design that will only hold a can for it to drip condensation on to my console" cup holder in mine. What a waste of engineering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online