Curious Ping Circumstance

svfetter

Reaction score
95 GT - 55K miles - I have been fighting spark knock for years. I have done the following - Timing at Factory Spec - 180 Deg Ther - Oil Cooler - Cooler Plugs - Water Wetter - 70 MM TB - New ACS - Kenny Bell Ram Air Kit - Cleaned MAFS on Regular Basis - Run Premium Fuel for Years - Tried Octane boost, No Change - 3.73 rear gear - AOD Trans.

Just kind of learned to live with it. Not too bad in winter. Pretty bad in summer. Recently on a trip I noticed something strange. I usually drive by foot and do not use speed control. At highway speeds if i use gas petal to maintain speed on slight grade - get subtantial ping. Previously did not use speed control for this reason. However, on trip I did engage speed control to rest leg and immediately noticed ping went away!!!! Why would engine ping driving by foot and not using speed control?

Follow to previous post about brake noise. Have isolated noise to slop in pins where caliper mounts to bracket. Just thought I would let everyone know where this frustrating noise was coming from. Now Corrected. So Much better!!! Thanks.

MORDENENOUGH

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with engine detonation/ping and the problem ended up being a bad coolant temp sensor. I read out trouble codes from computer and did a handful of tests to figure it out. What was happening was the EGR system wasn't functioning because it wasn't getting the input from the computer and combustion temps were to high causing spark knock. I put in the $60 sensor and all knock went away and fuel mileage improved.

m0n0x1d3

Reaction score
If all else fails, you could always try a step colder plug. They are pretty cheap, so it wont hurt your wallet, it'll just take a bit of elbow grease on your part, and could solve your problems.

It solved my pinging in my V6 ( i know not a V8), but they tend to ping from the factory anyway.

Be sure to use ONLY Motorcraft plugs. I've seen other plugs (Bosh) cause these issues on several different Fords, and i know thats what most of the guys on turboford.org use for that very reason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online