Custom Fabbed Hotside?

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'll most likely end up taking a welding class because Corsa wants to move me up to welder asap. Which I find totally fine because I love the idea of knowing how to weld.. The possibilities for my car's are endless with the skill of welding. My question is instead of spending $1200 on a CG Fab (which it's worth it for their kit, but so expensive), I have to wonder how hard it would be to source pipes and create my own hotside. I'm all about saving money and doing things myself. I suppose I could ask the local speed shop where they get there pipes and plans to build their kits, lol, but somehow I feel they wouldn't want to give me too much insight because it's money they'd be losing. But who knows. Any ideas?

I found this site

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/

Their piping is incredibly cheap, which is why I'm all for building my own kit. Shit I can save $500+ easily by doing it myself. But I guess the biggest thing is where can I find how to make a good solid kit? I don't have my car jacked up or anything so I haven't looked real hard underneath it for blueprinting ideas but I can't imagine it would be that hard to map it all out. Anyone do anything like this before? Or know of anyone who has?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you have the tubing bender and all the tools needed to do it. The plumbing is cheap I mean is just piping but the tools needed to do it can add up pretty quick I would imagine.

BUT I do know your excitement about welding. Its something I have wanted to learn for a long time to add to my skillset and finally just decided to say F-it and saved some cash and bought a miller 211 and had my brother show me hot to turn it on. He had only done a little welding but it was more then me so after a quick lesson I was off and on my own. As you said suddenly with a parts car parked behind me to replace anything I screw up and a welder to go at it, suddenly there were no limits. I do love welding as much as I thought I would and was doing it just today to shave the key hole for the drivers side door handle. I can honestly say today that I learned something - I need to move around more - as it was really nice to see some descent welds finally come from my hands.

Wichers123

Reaction score
You don't need a bender Columbia river has it all. The biggest issue your gonna have do you have a kmember? There is no way your gonna build a kit without it and not be hanging real low with pipes.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Hell yeah Scott that's what I'm talking about man. It's an awesome feeling to know you were able to make something yourself. And having that donor car allowed you to practice anything you wanted without fear of messing up because it's a scrap car anyways. Very cool stuff man

Wichers I was going to wait until I purchased a tubular k before I made anything, I was just wondering if it would be at all doable. Like you said Columbia river literally has it all. Even the merger pipe to connect to the pedestal.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with all that I am doing now for some reason the idea of getting all the pipes cut to fit perfectly and then welded together with no leaks sounds very challenging. Then on top of that making it look good would be another challenge. But it would be cool when your done to pop the hood and say check out my pipes. I know I am looking forward to collecting compliments and the surprise of "you made/did that yourself?!" yessir built not bought.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
eh like I said I can make shit stick together now but in being the best I can I want it to look as nice as possible as well.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Couple of my buddies are hell bent on helping me get this done. I know I'll need the k member first but I'm definitely thinking heavily on this... The idea of making it all myself doesn't scare me, yet. My only question is should I run my stock manifolds flipped or pick up cg headers? I would imagine with a turbo it wouldn't matter too much, my end goal in the next few years is about 700. I've ridden in a 700hp turbo 2v and a 700hp gt500 and I have to say I'm in love with 700hp mustangs

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Wichers123

Reaction score
Why done you build a factory style log manifold built to go the right direction and all. A lot of Hondas use a log style manifold why couldn't you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online