Custom Intercooler Setup

TheBab

Reaction score
I'm going to try and attempt a custom FMIC set up....

I just ordered my intercooler and piping....

Intercooler is a bar and plate design. 24" x 12 " x 3 Polished finish intercooler with 3" inlets and outlets.

itslytinyghost122.jpg

I also ordered a 12 piece intercooler piping kit.

ICP-3ALPI8-U.jpg

I'm pretty sure with all the pieces I can cut and fab up the plumbing for the intercooler set up. If not I'll buy some more piping. If/when I get it fitted correctly I'll send it off to get powdercoated... not sure if I want to go with a flat black or a bright atlantic blue...

Anyhow, I'm not sure what I am going to do about a BOV or By Pass valve.... If I got a Greddy Type S and flange... where should I weld in the flange? I'm pretty new to the supercharger world....

Anyone know if you can "clock" the supercharger... so it points down? That would make routing the piping a whole lot easier...

I'll keep this thread updated. O0

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
Round $200 so far...

I still need to figure out what to do with a BOV... I'm use to turbos.. lol...

I guess I weld the flange for the BOV before the throttle body....

So roughly $120ish or so for the BOV / flange....

I'm also going to replace the clamps the piping kit comes with and use T-Bolt clamps.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
I'm still not sure which bypass valve (I decided on the bypass rather than a bov) I want to use..

I want to keep the costs extremely LOW... but yet effective. Right now I'm on the stock vortech set up.... so anything is better than what I have...

I might take a chance and try out one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosc...ItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ290089507641QQrdZ1

They have a warranty so if it's crap.. I could always complain....

Any input?

ripper

Reaction score
Heres a pic of mine and the bypass valve is the vortech on the left (blue thingy) I think your gonna need some 45's all i see in your list are 90's. The bypass goes back to the powerpipe.
LOL 1 more edit: Dont bolt your intercooler in one place then try to pipe it. Run your pipe first then you can move the intercooler to meet it (off the s/c). You will have to cut out some of the plastic sheid under there to go back out the intercooler then up threw your wheelwell. Also have to cut some wheelwell plastic out. The job is a pita but take your time and it wont rattle.

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture.... which Vortech bypass is that?

This supercharger thing is a whole new world.. :D

S

scarface

you can get a bosch 114 BPV from a vw shop. Its an upgraded BPV for the SC kits. I run one and hold 13psi with no issues.

ripper

Reaction score
Yea i would get the cheapest bpv you could get. Vortech is probubly the most exspensive but my tuner has a way with spending other peoples money lol. He only uses the best money can buy.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
I really like the sound of the procharger one.. but that thing is MONEY.... :noes:

Too baller for me...

I think I'll try the one from ebay I posted a link to...

S

scarface

the one I posted about is 40 bux, and is one of the best BPV's you can buy?

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
scarface said:

Got a link to somewhere that sells it?

I didn't see it on Ebay... maybe I should search harder :D

ripper

Reaction score
The one that comes with the procharger kit is a blow off valve not a bypass. Big difference. Its much easier to install but sends air to the enviroment. Bypass is a contained system that sends the air right back to the powerpipe.

S

scarface

TheBab said:
scarface said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-Diverter-Bypass-Valve-Vortech-Supercharger_W0QQitemZ140048540837QQcmdZViewItem

you can get it cheaper at your local VW dealer though.

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
scarface said:
TheBab said:
scarface said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosch-Diverter-Bypass-Valve-Vortech-Supercharger_W0QQitemZ140048540837QQcmdZViewItem

you can get it cheaper at your local VW dealer though.

Thanks, so I'm still in the dark on this by pass stuff.. I'm use to turbos and bovs :D

attachment.php

How is this guys hooked up? And is that how I'm going to have to hook mine up?

ripper

Reaction score
That looks like its done without an intercooler.

S

scarface

the bottom hose is connected the to flange at the bottom of the BOV, and goes to the charge pipe. The larger hose is the recirculating hose going back to the intake side.

THats how I hooked up my HKS SSQV

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
i will be also doing a intercooler setup its gonna be a challenge for me but i will get it done and will post alot of pics for people to get an idea how to do it on a 95 cobra

OP
OP
T

TheBab

Reaction score
My intercooler and piping should be in next week. I'm going to order the bypass that scar recommended... I'm still hazy on how It's going to be incorporated in my FMIC set up... but I'll figure it out. I'll definitely take a lot of pictures.

S

scarface

you just need to weld a 1inch x 1inch tube off the cold side of your piping. The BPV has a 1inch tube on the bottom also. A small hose connects them in the middle. Then you only need a vacuum source off the intake to go to the nipple on the top if the BPV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online