custom mass air meter

98-5.0

Reaction score
since 75mm = 3inches........i made my intake plumming and its 3 inch.......can i just pop out my mass air sensor and put it in a 3 inch piece of polished stock like i did for the intake and have a 75mm mass air sensor?....i like custom fab work and im goin turbo
thanks

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't see why not. The only thing is the MAF has to be in the same location (wires in same location, facing the same location) and you should be fine. I say go for it, as you are the first person to ask this in my experience. A little custom work never hurt anyone. :dancing6:

ryclef331

Reaction score
NO you can't!!!

Here is why. Follow me b/c this could get lengthy b/c I'm drunk.

I'll tell you right off the bat, you're going to run lean. Here is why...

A Mass Air Flow sensor works by heating the filaments (sp?) to a certain temperaure. The car tries to maintain that specific temp as air passes over the filarments on its way into the engine. THe air passing over said filaments attempts to cool them. The ECU increases the voltage to the filaments to maintain its preset temp as the air flow over it increases. The ECU has a table in it. For a certain inlet air temp (the other small sensor furth upstream from the maf determines this) it can tell exactly how much air is flow into the car by how much voltage it too to maintain that certain temp of the filaments.

NOW if you open up that area surrounding the MAF's filaments, you're going to let alot of air get by unmeasured....therefore you go lean...you go boom. Look at a C&L MAF Sensor. They sell various sized tubes while using the stock MAF Sensor Electronics to compensate for this. You're not the first to think of it. NO offense intended but it isn't as easy as you think it maybye b/c even a C&L MAF Sensor fucking sucks.

Basically by opening up the area around the filaments of the MAF Sensor, you're slowing the velocity of the air over those filaments there in not cooling them down enough so the computer is going to think there is less air coming in than there actually is and you'll run lean. I hope this makes sense.

IF you're talking about leaving the MAF housing ALONE and going to just 3" tubing (like a cold air intake) then thats fine but don't mess with the MAF's Housing itself. If you want to go bigger, pay the proffesionals.

Reaction score
Well I think getting a bigger MAF is fine, but you have to compensate with richening you air/fuel. Getting a bigger MAF is fine, except get a tune after that.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Midnight_Cobra said:
Well I think getting a bigger MAF is fine, but you have to compensate with richening you air/fuel. Getting a bigger MAF is fine, except get a tune after that.

Getting a bigger MAF is fine. He is talking about taking his electronics and just sticking them into a piece of pipe. It doesn't work that way. Either the electronics of the MAF are calibrated to the larger MAF Housing (Like a Pro-M) OR the metering tube size is changed (as in a C&L). A tune isn't exactly neccessary if you BUY one CALIBRATED. Takeing a piece of 3" pipe and sticking the MAF electronics in it will get you laughed at by your tuner when he pops the hood....

Reaction score
Yea your right, I was getting confused. I thought he had a custom MAF sensor wiring for a bigger MAF.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online