Cutting back, Stalling, CEL,........................HELP

from6to8

Reaction score
Ok guy's I had a broken spring and slightly bent valve on the no. 2 cylinder that and replaced all the springs as well as that exhaust valve. Also changed the cam ( well had it regrind) and the specs are 275/283 with a 330 lobe lift. Guy from Texas quote was that cam will whip any FMS cam. He tested and compared on the dyno and at the track and his is wayy more drivable as well. I talked to this guy extensively and he has helped me with a lot of things I never did before as far as installation and such, all thru texting and phone calls.

Got the car back together and it is running well, nice and strong but I am having an issue with surging when come to a stop it will surge up to 2k and stay there for a little while. CEL comes on and stays on for awhile while driving. Checked the code and it was 121 for Closed Throttle voltage too high or too low. I checked the TPS voltage and it was .99. Also checked the other 2 wires and they were 4.96 and the other didn't have much on it so they are all fine as I've read over the years about checking the tps wires/voltage to determine if they were in range. I had previously when having issues before Jan when I last drove the car, I probed the appropriate wire while doing a throttle sweep and the numbers on the voltmeter swept fine with no erratic jumping or anything

I also reset the idle and basically set the stop to 0.10 on the feeler gauge then went a half to one turn clockwise on the screw. I started the car with the IAC unplugged and played with the throttle to keep it running. I did have to turn the screw in some to keep it running. What I did eventually was just creep down some on the screw counterclockwise little by little till it would idle without cutting off. It went as low as about 650-700 but it didn't just stay there. As it wanted to die, it would go down to 650 then would idle back up to about 800. It sounded as if it wanted to cut off but didn't. It stayed at 650 for a little then would go up to 800, fluctuating.

I opened up the IAB screw about half a turn after I rechecked the tps volts. Took car for a drive and it did fine but eventually starte with the CEL again and the bucking, sort of like the car would as I'm driving, it would seem to break it's speed and then catch back up but not really break speed. I guess it would be a cutback. It would cutback sometimes from time to time. I stopped and tried what I belive it was Irwinner who has had success with what he said on page 1 where he stopped the car and cut it off, turned the stop screw counterclockwise some and started the car back up. I repeated that a few times and then didnt do it anymore. Basically now I am lost as to what the heck is going on if the test show the TPS to be fine. I even unplugged the tps while car was running and it didnt cut off. The car seemed to get a little richer by smell with the tps unplugged for a few minutes. Showing the guy who regrind my cam the plugs the other day, he said it's rich at startup definitely. Right now I just don't know what to do. I would think to just try a new tps just to see. Also checked the IAC and with car running when I unplugged it the car wanted to cut off and would have. Last time I drove it this evening when I pulled up to a stop it cut off a few times actually when I threw it in neutral

Car still has the 05 tune with the autologic 2000 tune

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you just need it re tuned. Our computers are very sensitive to cam choice.

RichV

Reaction score
Agreed.

Is it a stock computer?

OP
OP
F

from6to8

Reaction score
Agreed.

Is it a stock computer?

yes

just to point out that what I found a few days ago will go a long way im sure in how my car will drive from here out possibly. I found my coil to be going bad and actually died a few days ago. Put on the stock coil, after actually another older msd coil that I had ( both worked), and car ran real good. I haven't plugged chip back up yet but i will sometime this week and put timing back at 10. I will see how she acts then

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online