Cutting stock springs?????? EH

G

GREG@SN95

i would never cut springs...

Lowering springs have a stiffer spring rate...

so if you cut the stock ones your spring rate will be all out of wack... sure it'll be lower but I doubt it'd ride nearly as nice as lowering springs

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
i so if you cut the stock ones your spring rate will be all out of wack... sure it'll be lower but I doubt it'd ride nearly as nice as lowering springs

a guy on here with a blue stang that has a daughter with a stang too(i forget his name at the moment) says his daughters car with cut springs rides better than his car with eibachs...

G

GREG@SN95

DFG_Pimpin said:
GREG@SN95 said:
i so if you cut the stock ones your spring rate will be all out of wack... sure it'll be lower but I doubt it'd ride nearly as nice as lowering springs

a guy on here with a blue stang that has a daughter with a stang too(i forget his name at the moment) says his daughters car with cut springs rides better than his car with eibachs...

well its probably smoother and bouncier...

But theres a reason why they make lowering springs... and theres a reason why they have a stiffer spring rate...

I doubt its good for the car to have mushy cut springs...

I'm sure a knowledgeable suspension tech would back me up on this...

So maybe he says they ride better cause its a softer ride... but is a softer ride better in a lowered car?

95mustang302

Reaction score
think about this before you cut springs, the springs in these cars have a tendancy to break the way it is... When I put in my springs, my two front springs were both cracked and came out in 2 pieces, just buy the new springs and save yourself some time, money headaches and probably safety issues.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i havent heard of anyone cracking there springs in normal use...do you drive your car in the winter in snow?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I lowered my car I found that both of my front springs were broken.

Stock springs are linear rate springs as opposed to progressive rate springs that many lowering springs are. Cutting a coil or so off a stock spring wont really change the ride because it will have the same spring rate. Obviously if you cut too much you will have problems. Progressive rate springs come with dead coils at the top that are made to fully compress when the car's weight is applied to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online