Cutting transmission bellhousing

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
I want to cut part of the starter provision off so that my headrs slip in and out easier. The drivers side is butter, the passenger not so much.

I just want to know if anyone sees a problem with what I'm doing.
Sorry I'm not exactly an artist but here's a rough sketch

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thats a really good idea! Most have only 2 bolts holding the starter in also. That 3rd bolt around a stock Kmember can be a pain!

So lets look at this closer. By doing this cut away youll be eliminating a fastener....which is covered by the other 2 fasteners, right. We cool their! Youll also be eliminating a hub centric location that keeps the starter located exactly were it should be and worst of all, the section removed is the main section that would keep the starter from pushing itself away from the flywheel.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I say, trim off only what needs to clear and do your best to keep what you can. I believe its do-able with no ill effects on normal use, but one never knows untill its tried.

neverenuff

Reaction score
I'd modify the header before cutting the transmission bellhousing. Can you drop the k member a bit for more clearance? Only reason I mention this is that would be a permanent modification/can't go back. A BFH easily mods a pair of headers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thomas_W

Reaction score
And considering the bellhousing is part of the trans, you'll be denied any and all core charge refunds if its ever used as a core. Or if you try and sell the trans after an upgrade, it'd be a hard sell.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Thats a really good idea! Most have only 2 bolts holding the starter in also. That 3rd bolt around a stock Kmember can be a pain!

So lets look at this closer. By doing this cut away youll be eliminating a fastener....which is covered by the other 2 fasteners, right. We cool their! Youll also be eliminating a hub centric location that keeps the starter located exactly were it should be and worst of all, the section removed is the main section that would keep the starter from pushing itself away from the flywheel.

I deffinately wouldn't cut it all off. Enough to make a difference but the starter still won't move any. This will only be the case if I can't get my forward facing headed to work

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
28dad077d16263759bec5f4809fc70f7.jpg

[MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] [MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION]

Does this look like enough?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members