Cutting Urethane?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
So Ive got a little secret project going on and I need some advice on cutting urethane. Would a dremel work or would it just melt it as it was cutting? I also have read where people just used a utility knife but I feel that would take forever. Has anyone cut/trimmed bumpers or skirts with good results?

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
I used it Plenty of times at work and home..As Long as you are using the Cutting wheel for the Dremel ..You will be fine! Never used it with a Grinding Wheel or Stone...Just make sure you Measure twice and cut once :)

JKady

Reaction score
An air powered body saw would probably be the best tool for the job. I've made small cuts by hand with a hacksaw or even just a sawzall blade though.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So Ive got a little secret project going on and I need some advice on cutting urethane. Would a dremel work or would it just melt it as it was cutting? I also have read where people just used a utility knife but I feel that would take forever. Has anyone cut/trimmed bumpers or skirts with good results?

A dremel or air grinder will work great. Different bits for different levels of precision you want, smaller bits like 1/16" don't grab much so they're easy to control. What I did for the JDM fog cutouts on my Civic was use a drywall bit, actually. Obviously not very precise, but for roughing out it worked great.

EDIT: Just in case you're curious, this is the drywall bit I'm talking about.

16318d1376451165-rotozip-vs-dremel-cutting-circles-drywall-rz-bit.jpg

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
A dremel or air grinder will work great. Different bits for different levels of precision you want, smaller bits like 1/16" don't grab much so they're easy to control. What I did for the JDM fog cutouts on my Civic was use a drywall bit, actually. Obviously not very precise, but for roughing out it worked great.

EDIT: Just in case you're curious, this is the drywall bit I'm talking about.

So do you just drill through then pull it along the line you want to cut?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would just use an air/reciprocating saw to get it close and then a file and sand paper to get it perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online