Cylinder head help

MICHAEL PENDRISS

Reaction score
I've searched but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 347 stroker with je dished pistons, and a trick flow stage 2 cam... Currently the weak spot are the 190cc pro comp heads that have a updated valve train and mild machining. Running a kb s/c at 15psi, looking for a good set of assembled in line cylinder heads @205cc. Not looking to spend AFR money and can't run trick flow heads due to p to v clearance. Any recommendations or used heads for sale would be greatly appreciated. Ty guys.

sluggish94

Reaction score
ProMaxx, Edelbrock Victor Jr, Brodix, they all make 205cc heads for the Ford Windsor engine platform. I just looked all these up right now and they're all in the 2K range though, pretty much the same as AFR. You can get the ProMaxx heads bare and use your valvetrain. That would be something to consider.

OP
OP
MICHAEL PENDRISS

MICHAEL PENDRISS

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I have in there now, pushing around 450whp and over 500 ft lbs the way it sits. I just know I'm leaving @25whp on the table by having these heads on there. I wish afr made the enforcer heads larger than 185cc for the sbf. They make the sbc heads up to 210cc which would be ideal. 2k for the heads plus another 1k for parts and labor equals over $100 per whp gained...ouch.

sluggish94

Reaction score
If your intention with the cylinder head swap is to gain +25whp more out of your existing combination, it would be a lot more cost effective to have a custom grind camshaft made for your specific combination. If you pay a professional to grind you a cam, you won't be leaving anything on the table. A custom grinder can maximize the power potential out of all of your parts combined. Off the shelf camshafts perform well because the manufacturer factors in all possible combinations, and if you meet some of the criteria for the combination, you'd expect it to perform as such. But with a custom cam, the grinder will take into consideration YOUR displacement, piston, cylinder head, intake manifold, exhaust size, transmission ratio, rear end ratio, wheel size, ect. The TrickFlow cam seems rather small for a 190cc headed 347 stroker in my opinion. If you factor in the cost of a custom grind cam and all the gaskets you'd need for the swap, you'd probaly be end up spending like $500. That's $20 per whp gained.

The reason I recommend a camshaft swap is because if your cylinder head/bottom end/power adder combination already has the potential to make 500+whp, then the limiting factor is the camshaft. Remember, the cam is what is telling the valves when to open and close, so if you can control those events to suit your combinations needs, you'll make more power.

Also, ProComp and ProMaxx are completely different companies altogether. ProMaxx uses better valvetrain components in their cylinder heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online