Cylinder replacement.

csellis3842

Reaction score
Bought a 97 v6m the transponder key is messed up and broke in several spots.

So far im gathering info but have came to 3 conclusions.

1. Can spend 100$ or moee for a locksmith to give me 2 new keys.
2.go to orileys buy a non transponder key switch install it and i should be ready to run once i tape the reader to the steering column??
3.buy a transponder switch with 2 keys for 80$ follow the programming instructions for adding keys. Someome told me i just had to put the new transponder switch inm leave the key on run until the security light went out then id be ready to drive. Sny insight??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bought a 97 v6m the transponder key is messed up and broke in several spots.

So far im gathering info but have came to 3 conclusions.

1. Can spend 100$ or moee for a locksmith to give me 2 new keys.
2.go to orileys buy a non transponder key switch install it and i should be ready to run once i tape the reader to the steering column??
3.buy a transponder switch with 2 keys for 80$ follow the programming instructions for adding keys. Someome told me i just had to put the new transponder switch inm leave the key on run until the security light went out then id be ready to drive. Sny insight??

Its like deja vu all over again

1. yes this would work they would probably program the keys for you.
2. I think that this switch is going to be missing the receiver ring that goes around it to both send/receive the signal from the transponder key so the pats system would not be able to read if there is a transponder being used or not. I would think that this would cause a prob with pats and it would probably shut it down.
3. this would work as well. I am not sure what it takes to program them but I am sure there is a youtube video

Other options.

1. expensive - pretty sure I have heard you can shut pats off with a programmer that many people get anyway for performance upgrades. If you have considered getting one for performance reasons or maybe know someone that has one it would be worth checking out.
2. cheap - tape/glue the back transponder part of the key you have to the ignition cylinder and you could then use any regular key to start it then.

RichV

Reaction score
We had to go to Ford for our E350 company van a while back. Don't remember the exact cost, but it was like $90 for the 1st key and another $15 for the 2nd. We just got 2 keys and ate the $110 rather than monkeying something in the electronics and having more issues.

If the current key works, you can zip tie it on the inside of the column so the chip is read by the sensor, then use a non coded key in the cylinder.

OP
OP
C

csellis3842

Reaction score
Truem or just use the chip inside the kry to tape it inside. However ive found my solution. 20$ for 2 uncut transponder keys and i had a local locksmith cut them for 10$ a key. I programmed them in 45 minutes. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.