Daily Driver - Paint/Body Discussion

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Lol yeah from one foot away it looks new Ill take that :grin:. I hope its not the towels, i go out of my way to only use clean microfiber towels making sure their is no micro debris within in the towel.

If you think about it, after all the 10 years of snow/seasonal wear it isnt that bad. But it still seems no matter what i do it still picks up new ones. When the time comes to repainting it if i choose to do so,hopefully doing a black primer with a few extra coats of clear will correct this problem. It seems the clear coat is abnormally sensitive.

oh then yea...definitely not the towels. i see some people break out the 'ol bath towels to dry off their cars :nono:

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I third the buying black was a mistake. It's too hard to keep clean..I do detailing and it doesn't matter, its still a pain in my ass. If I could do a color change I would, but these ****s want 6k plus here for that, so it'll stay black. The Mach 1 I just bought is yellow, super easy to clean. **** black!

I hear that man. Both my mustangs are blue, so much easier then black.

I looked into wrapping after talking the Pete the other day, it seems like the way to go. Not only is it much easier to fix the flaws, its much much cheaper and just as good looking. Check out these prices! Varies from estimated $300-$1000! http://sdgmag.com/features/wraps-pricing-wrapping-better-roi

oh then yea...definitely not the towels. i see some people break out the 'ol bath towels to dry off their cars :nono:

Oh man :D! Seen a guy use his old t shirt multiple times for a full cleaning, i almost wanted to give him a pine-cone and say "here just as good"

Ballistic

Reaction score
I third the buying black was a mistake. It's too hard to keep clean..I do detailing and it doesn't matter, its still a pain in my ass. If I could do a color change I would, but these ****s want 6k plus here for that, so it'll stay black. The Mach 1 I just bought is yellow, super easy to clean. **** black!

You dont own a black car, it owns you!

Also i always use a foam cannon w/ my pressure washer to start off my wash then two buckets w/ 3 different wash mitts, then i got about 4 tools for wheels, then i dry with a leaf blower, then come back with CG V7 and a microfiber drying towel.. Its almost that time for me to do a light polish w/ my rupes and apply all my glazes, sealant, and wax..

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Also i always use a foam cannon w/ my pressure washer to start off my wash then two buckets w/ 3 different wash mitts, then i got about 4 tools for wheels, then i dry with a leaf blower, then come back with CG V7 and a microfiber drying towel.. Its almost that time for me to do a light polish w/ my rupes and apply all my glazes, sealant, and wax..

Sounds like a good process, ive always been "iffy" about using my work pressure washer, in fear of it being "too strong" for the paint.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Sounds like a good process, ive always been "iffy" about using my work pressure washer, in fear of it being "too strong" for the paint.

I have always used one on mine, i think mine is a 3000 psi gas one just don't use a super fine tip and don't get super close, the cannon helps alot to pull the loose dust/dirt off so when you come back with a mitt less chances of swirl/scratches. Also forgot another step after you're done and about to dry i always take the nozzle off the hose and let it sheet the car, the times i dont do it my towel has alot more water in it..

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Just remembered,

I was watching some show on velocity one day...i think its called desert car kings. I couldnt find a clip or a shot on google but in one of the episodes they are restoring an ol' t-bird. They decide its a good idea to take off some steam with a paint ball gun they then completely shoot the car from head to toe before it goes to paint...they have fun all seems well....car goes to paint..... once the paintball paint was removed their were hundreds and hundreds of paintball sized impressions literally covering the car!!!! They had to spend thousands to remove it.

A paint ball travels at what? Approx 150-190mph?

So the question is, will a pebble be enough to cause a small ding at highway speed? I think yes...how about you?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I hear ya that stinks bro. Maybe the previous owner did not maintain it like you have? You can always do as Pete mentioned and wrap the car. Buddy i know owns a local detail shop around here, he bought a brand new black m3 last year.. had it wrapped bmw comp orange with carbon fiber roof line...full bolt ons. Looks exactly like real paint and the benefits over real paint are astronomical as Pete also mentioned. Im not to sure on the process but it seems like the way to go

The previous owner had it garaged as well. It only had 58k miles when I bought it. Crystal white just sucks. Yeah I'm considering a wrap job. Wow that BMW sounds sexy, I can imagine it. I feel like I've seen it on instagram. The only thing I am worried about with wrap, is if the flaking paint beneath the wrap will cause it to bubble? Because I've seen that happen with plasti dip and crystal white, then when you peel the plasti dip all the white paint goes with it.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Just remembered,

I was watching some show on velocity one day...i think its called desert car kings. I couldnt find a clip or a shot on google but in one of the episodes they are restoring an ol' t-bird. They decide its a good idea to take off some steam with a paint ball gun they then completely shoot the car from head to toe before it goes to paint...they have fun all seems well....car goes to paint..... once the paintball paint was removed their were hundreds and hundreds of paintball sized impressions literally covering the car!!!! They had to spend thousands to remove it.

A paint ball travels at what? Approx 150-190mph?

So the question is, will a pebble be enough to cause a small ding at highway speed? I think yes...how about you?

I think i watched that years ago, Im not sure about a ding at highway speeds unless its a decent sized rock, but it can for sure chip the paint..

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I think i watched that years ago, Im not sure about a ding at highway speeds unless its a decent sized rock, but it can for sure chip the paint..

Not sure if you read the full story on the original post or not but when we tested pebbles on the crusher cars at average throwing speeds it WAS enough to chip/scatch the paint. In some throws it went into the primer but never created an impression. (This was half the speed of highway travel at best)

Im just over here trying to figure out how this could possibly happen..this is a zoom but it is near the lower end and not as noticeable from 1ft away like always lol

IMG_20150518_173618237_HDR_zpsqh0bigcu.jpg

Its near the lower panel and right next to the wheel which makes me think at highway speeds rock smaller then a paintball is absolutely capable also considering what the paintballs did. But with such a difference in speed you would have to figure out at what speed does the dent stop occurring.

But beats me how that could even happen...no sign of scratch or marks.... i dont get it.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
The previous owner had it garaged as well. It only had 58k miles when I bought it. Crystal white just sucks. Yeah I'm considering a wrap job. Wow that BMW sounds sexy, I can imagine it. I feel like I've seen it on instagram. The only thing I am worried about with wrap, is if the flaking paint beneath the wrap will cause it to bubble? Because I've seen that happen with plasti dip and crystal white, then when you peel the plasti dip all the white paint goes with it.

:grin: Yeah it is the nicest looking m3 ive seen around here and it prob only cost him 3-500 bucks in supplies and labor considering he did it himself.

From what i can tell, yes any protrusions underneath will def affect it. If i were you maybe strip the paint first before hand? No need to peel the wrap after unless your fixing a panel, but would suck if you had to dewrap,strip the paint and rewrap

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the problem with the crystal white paint had to do more with the primer then the paint?

Ballistic

Reaction score
OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I would consider them as well.. open to anything that will work the best.

They state it is applied to bumpers and rocker panels. Can it be used to protect the whole car?

Also wonder how the finished product looks. Is it slightly noticeable like a film protection on a phone or does it look like real clear coat?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Oh man :D! Seen a guy use his old t shirt multiple times for a full cleaning, i almost wanted to give him a pine-cone and say "here just as good"

lmao just now seen this and i lol'd :laughing5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter