Daily Driver recommendations and input please

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Sup fellas, I'm looking for a DD at the moment. I don't have a huge budget, max of 3k. So far I've been looking at 96-02 corolla, 2000+ sentra, and civics. I've tested quite a few and all were junk. Burning oil, to not passing emissions, and crashed with clean title. Almost tired of looking now, it's been 1 month since I started.

Anyways are Mitsubishi Lancer any good? There's a couple here well kept with under 130k miles. Just need it for 2 years or less honestly. I like the 02 models.

Looking for a 4dr gas saver but not too old of a car. Prefer no paint issues but there are some nice corolla with paint issues for cheap.

Please chime in, and thanks ladies and gents!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Mitsubishis like the lancer aren't terribly realible and expensive. That's what I've been told though.

See what you can find out about the lancer and if it shares anything with dodge.

What about a focus? Should be lots of them. I would recommend a duratec, but ztec is okay. Get a manual though.

GTfiveoh

Reaction score
To my knowledge, Mitsubishis like the lancer aren't terribly realible and expensive. That's what I've been told though.

See what you can find out about the lancer and if it shares anything with dodge.

What about a focus? Should be lots of them. I would recommend a duratec, but ztec is okay. Get a manual though.

+1 on the focus

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I had a 94- 4 door civic 5 speed. Miss that car everyday. 37-44 mpg mixed driving, however it burnt 1 qt of oil per 100 miles. If you get a civic and replace the piston rings you will be fine . Look for a d15

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With the focus,
the only common issue I've experience is front swaybar end links. They go regularly, even faster if you're lowered. SUPER easy to replace, get moog and they'll last longer. I haven't had issue yet after replacing with moog, you can also get adjustable ones from Massive, which will be the best.

Focus are cheap to drive and repair (if needed), duratecs have decent power (with the manual, auto are poo poo),and very common.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score

With the focus,
the only common issue I've experience is front swaybar end links. They go regularly, even faster if you're lowered. SUPER easy to replace, get moog and they'll last longer. I haven't had issue yet after replacing with moog, you can also get adjustable ones from Massive, which will be the best.

Focus are cheap to drive and repair (if needed), duratecs have decent power (with the manual, auto are poo poo),and very common.
Yeah, I've read mixed reviews on the lancer. I think I'll stay away from them. They seem to do well up to 100k but after that they start to have things fall apart. But I've seen some make to to 200k miles.

Yeah I read that the end links wear out fast on the focus, odd. Well I wouldn't lower mine, it would just be a dd. But thanks for that bit of information, I'd definitely get high quality ones to last longer.

So duratec and zetec are the way to go. I'm looking to see what model has what engine because a lot of people on craigslist seem to not post a picture of the engine. If I get a focus it would HAVE to be manual because I've never been a fan of Ford's transmissions on small vehicles. I've seen a few on CL and they actually look nice. I forget that people in Mexico daily drive these cars too, there are tons down there. What year is yours?
I had a 94- 4 door civic 5 speed. Miss that car everyday. 37-44 mpg mixed driving, however it burnt 1 qt of oil per 100 miles. If you get a civic and replace the piston rings you will be fine . Look for a d15
Yes, they're good cars. But I was staying away from the <=1995 models because they are obd 1. Very good gas mileage that's forsure. Bad thing is most civics here are crashed, salvage, or rebuilt. And just trashed by kids, women, and Mexicans lol.

myk

Reaction score
Why can't you DD your Mustang? Judging from your 'mods I bet you smile every time you drive...

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I read that the end links wear out fast on the focus, odd. Well I wouldn't lower mine, it would just be a dd. But thanks for that bit of information, I'd definitely get high quality ones to last longer.

So duratec and zetec are the way to go. I'm looking to see what model has what engine because a lot of people on craigslist seem to not post a picture of the engine. If I get a focus it would HAVE to be manual because I've never been a fan of Ford's transmissions on small vehicles. I've seen a few on CL and they actually look nice. I forget that people in Mexico daily drive these cars too, there are tons down there. What year is yours?
Buy moog end links when you need to replace. They're cheap and will last much longer than anything else.

The only thing about the focus is the difference between europe and NA foci. The focus the euros got are different, especially mk2.
I know some thing about focuses, but not a ton.

Basically:

MK1
Available in sedan (zx4), wagon, 2dr hatch (zx3), 4dr hatch (zx5)
2000-2004 2.0l vetec
2001 -2004 SVT Focus, 2.0L zetec tuned up by cosworth. 6 speed manual. Suspension upgrades, super nice exterior. Basically a totally different animal If you find one it good shape for a decent price, buy one. Don't mess with it if there are bad condition bumpers, highly desirable and very hard to find...
2004/2004 some focus had the 2.3 duratec. Same engine I had in the mazda.
2005-2007 ST - sedans, with some exterior styling, had the 2.3 duratec. If you can find one in good shape and for a good price, buy it. The prices of these have gone up from sharing the name of the new ST
2005-07 2.0 duratec. The engine I have in my current focus.

Basically the mk1 is really disorganized haha. I honestly don't think ford was expecting the focus to be successful here.

The first gen had a bunch of really weird special editions. Sony, street edition, kona, street appearance and more I couldn't tell you too much about these... I just know they're out there. Only a real enthusiast will actually be able to spot one typically. The standard owner typically don't even know what they own and won't advertise it...

Mk2
This is the focus I have. I have 09 coupe SE (with the SES bumper) with the black chrome headlights and taillights, IMO the most desirable mk2. I believe 09 is the only year that all coupes regardless of trim level had the nice bumper.

08-11. You can get them in either a sedan or coupe in a variety of trim levels. I don't think there were any special editions. Basically all the same car with the 2.0 duratec.

My biggest complaint with the mk2 is that it's really the bastard gen. The mk1 and mk2 are very similar mechanical wise, but everything else is kinda hard to source... especially since you need to distinguish parts for the euro mk2 which is completely different.

I think the mk2 looks better stock (with exception to the SVT) than the mk1. The mk2 interiors are much much nicer too.

xRyOdMzl.jpg

The duratec is a pretty good engine, its used in a TON of vehicles worldwide.
Before the focus I had a mazda 3 that had the 2.3 and auto tranny. I strongly recommend MANUAL! The 2.0l in the focus may be smaller but its a million times better because of the manual transmission. Feels much more powerful and responsive.

The mk3 is 2012-present, probably out of your price range. These are tons better than the mk1 and mk2 though.

Not sure what else I could tell you, if you have any questions ask I guess. There is a good community for foci btw, focusfanatics and focaljet are good places.

I am looking to get out of the focus game though... and thats only because of fwd. I don't really like how it feels in deep snow...

Pitbull_SN95

Reaction score
Whats wrong with DDing your mustang? A Ford Ranger is the perfect DD. You can find them under $3K with good mileage, and super easy/cheap to fix.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Civic or Corolla ftw. You should be able to find one that is in good shape with mid- 100k miles for your budget, at least where I live. I'm not big on the american 4cyls. The toyotas, hondas, and nissans tend to last a LOT longer.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A Ford Ranger is the perfect DD..
Sorry, I disagree.

The only reason to buy a ranger is if you don't want a big truck.

The fuel mileage and power in the ranger are complete shit! I don't understand ford with the ranger. Smaller truck with a smaller engine gets worse gas mileage then its full size cousin? what?

The 4.6 I had in my f-150 would definitely get better mileage then a ranger and has more power, more room, everything. Definitely don't buy a ranger if you're looking for a smaller truck to save gas, which the OP is trying to do.

That's just my opinion, if you want a truck get a f-150. It took consumers a long time to figure that out, finally ford stopped making the ranger.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Why can't you DD your Mustang? Judging from your 'mods I bet you smile every time you drive...
I can, I just don't want to. Driving to school 5 times a week (40 miles to and fro), and work 5 times a week (12 miles to and fro), the miles add up fast. And yes a geared mustang with exhaust is always fun! Also, gas may be cheaper but I'm having to fill up every 3 or 4 days. Not to mention I can't add long tubes because I can't have the car be down as it is my only vehicle.
Whats wrong with DDing your mustang? A Ford Ranger is the perfect DD. You can find them under $3K with good mileage, and super easy/cheap to fix.
Driving to school 5 times a week (40 miles to and fro), and work 5 times a week (12 miles to and fro), the miles add up fast. And yes a geared mustang with exhaust is always fun! Also, gas may be cheaper but I'm having to fill up every 3 or 4 days. Not to mention I can't add long tubes because I can't have the car be down as it is my only vehicle. I'd rather have a cheap DD to put the miles on. But after all it is just another sn95. I like the Ranger a lot. It is hit or miss though, on getting a good one. They also don't get great gas mileage.

JKady

Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree.

The only reason to buy a ranger is if you don't want a big truck.

The fuel mileage and power in the ranger are complete shit! I don't understand ford with the ranger. Smaller truck with a smaller engine gets worse gas mileage then its full size cousin? what?

The 4.6 I had in my f-150 would definitely get better mileage then a ranger and has more power, more room, everything. Definitely don't buy a ranger if you're looking for a smaller truck to save gas, which the OP is trying to do.

That's just my opinion, if you want a truck get a f-150. It took consumers a long time to figure that out, finally ford stopped making the ranger.
Your F150 was not pulling the mileage that a 2wd, 2.3/5speed ranger does. Yes, the 3.0 and 4.0 are pigs, but the 4cyl is very economical.

OP, you should take a look at the Mazda Protege, very good car that is often forgotten about in the world of Corollas and Civics.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Buy moog end links when you need to replace. They're cheap and will last much longer than anything else.

The only thing about the focus is the difference between europe and NA foci. The focus the euros got are different, especially mk2.
I know some thing about focuses, but not a ton.

Basically:

MK1
Available in sedan (zx4), wagon, 2dr hatch (zx3), 4dr hatch (zx5)
2000-2004 2.0l vetec
2001 -2004 SVT Focus, 2.0L zetec tuned up by cosworth. 6 speed manual. Suspension upgrades, super nice exterior. Basically a totally different animal If you find one it good shape for a decent price, buy one. Don't mess with it if there are bad condition bumpers, highly desirable and very hard to find...
2004/2004 some focus had the 2.3 duratec. Same engine I had in the mazda.
2005-2007 ST - sedans, with some exterior styling, had the 2.3 duratec. If you can find one in good shape and for a good price, buy it. The prices of these have gone up from sharing the name of the new ST
2005-07 2.0 duratec. The engine I have in my current focus.

Basically the mk1 is really disorganized haha. I honestly don't think ford was expecting the focus to be successful here.

The first gen had a bunch of really weird special editions. Sony, street edition, kona, street appearance and more I couldn't tell you too much about these... I just know they're out there. Only a real enthusiast will actually be able to spot one typically. The standard owner typically don't even know what they own and won't advertise it...

Mk2
This is the focus I have. I have 09 coupe SE (with the SES bumper) with the black chrome headlights and taillights, IMO the most desirable mk2. I believe 09 is the only year that all coupes regardless of trim level had the nice bumper.

08-11. You can get them in either a sedan or coupe in a variety of trim levels. I don't think there were any special editions. Basically all the same car with the 2.0 duratec.

My biggest complaint with the mk2 is that it's really the bastard gen. The mk1 and mk2 are very similar mechanical wise, but everything else is kinda hard to source... especially since you need to distinguish parts for the euro mk2 which is completely different.

I think the mk2 looks better stock (with exception to the SVT) than the mk1. The mk2 interiors are much much nicer too.

xRyOdMzl.jpg

The duratec is a pretty good engine, its used in a TON of vehicles worldwide.
Before the focus I had a mazda 3 that had the 2.3 and auto tranny. I strongly recommend MANUAL! The 2.0l in the focus may be smaller but its a million times better because of the manual transmission. Feels much more powerful and responsive.

The mk3 is 2012-present, probably out of your price range. These are tons better than the mk1 and mk2 though.

Not sure what else I could tell you, if you have any questions ask I guess. There is a good community for foci btw, focusfanatics and focaljet are good places.

I am looking to get out of the focus game though... and thats only because of fwd. I don't really like how it feels in deep snow...
Wow lots of great info. Thanks for taking the time to break that all down me! Makes it so much easier to know what I should be looking for. Yeah, they are all over the place. That's what I found confusing when doing research. Definitely will stay away from the SPI motors.

Nice, I like that model of foci you have. Way out of my budget though. Yeah, I'd rather something 4x4 or awd in Canada's winters.

I was just on those foci forums actually. Lots of reading to do still.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Civic or Corolla ftw. You should be able to find one that is in good shape with mid- 100k miles for your budget, at least where I live. I'm not big on the american 4cyls. The toyotas, hondas, and nissans tend to last a LOT longer.
That's what I've been leaning towards. I had a 96 corolla back in the day as my first car. It is still going with 201k miles being driven by a teenage girl, with VERY late oil changes (5k miles on conventional oil) and it just takes the beating. Car runs tight though. It's being driven by my sister. Yes they are easy to find with that mileage and price but they are garbage at that price out here. I was leaning towards a 98-02 Corolla, but all the one's I've tested out were burning oil as is common in the early 8th? 9th? gens with the 1zfe or whatever. I've never been big on american small motors either, but I remembered the focus is driven hard in Mexico.

There is a tan corolla top model 1996 with 144k miles for 2500 but has clear coat failure on the trunk and fender. Guy won't budge on the price though.
Your F150 was not pulling the mileage that a 2wd, 2.3/5speed ranger does. Yes, the 3.0 and 4.0 are pigs, but the 4cyl is very economical.

OP, you should take a look at the Mazda Protege, very good car that is often forgotten about in the world of Corollas and Civics.
Meh, never been a fan of the Protege. A neighbor had one and it was reliable but just not what I'm looking for.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No probably not the 4 banger mileage, but I would never buy a 4 cylinder in a truck... I actually want to get to places on time :p

But yes, its the v6s that suck ass.

I should also mention to stay away from protege. I wanted one... but they rust horribly! You are almost garanteed to see horrible rust in the rear panels.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, I like that model of foci you have. Way out of my budget though. Yeah, I'd rather something 4x4 or awd in Canada's winters.

I actually got my focus for cheap... I think it was like 5400? which keep in mind that's canadian and cars are much more expensive here. That's slightly more than I'd pay for a mint mk1 with similar kms. There are mk2 with a little less kms and better paint for like 9000 lol.

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I actually got my focus for cheap... I think it was like 5400? which keep in mind that's canadian and cars are much more expensive here. That's slightly more than I'd pay for a mint mk1 with similar kms. There are mk2 with a little less kms and better paint for like 9000 lol.
Wow that is very cheap. Yeah cars are a lot more expensive in Canada. You got a good deal it sounds like though. Haven't seen a single model like yours that cheap here though.

Oh and don't worry I don't like the Protege. Also, I'm in Arizona. What is rust? lol

OP
OP
1997GT4.6

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
This is Corolla in question. Pics are kind of hard to tell how bad the paint issues are. The clear coat seems to be going away. The guy won't budge from $2500 though. I think it should be a bit cheaper with having to replace the windshield by law, and the paint issue. But this model of corolla is stout. I know so, I had one before. I'd definitely own one again, and want to. What do you guys think?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4854399520.html

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow that is very cheap. Yeah cars are a lot more expensive in Canada. You got a good deal it sounds like though. Haven't seen a single model like yours that cheap here though.

Oh and don't worry I don't like the Protege. Also, I'm in Arizona. What is rust? lol
I hope I can flip the car soon when I finish school. Sold the mazda in like 36hrs for $1000 profit haha, the guy even talked me down a ton.

Right you live in arizona, well this is what happens to proteges... they all turn into this.

6JbIamEl.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online