Dalamar: Help please

Armydad

Reaction score
Hi Dalamr/all,

I forgot what thread it was in but I think you mentioned a gentleman on this site who had npi heads and did a manifold swap and had Houston Performance blower cams. I would like to hear from him, I need to know what springs/retainers he used. Steve at HP said the stock npi springs would not work, and that PI springs also would not give the proper install height and pressure. I really,really want to do this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
you can probably private message him for a quicker response. :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scarface is who you are looking for. I also think Scarface is running the older version of the HP292 cams that were regrinds of stock pi cams, the newer HP292's are billit blanks and i believe have higher lift. You can probably find a set of comp springs pretty cheap on ebay.

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Thaks, yeah I was thinkung of a pm but I wanted to post it in case othersa knew somethig.

Droptop,

Scarface thanks, maybe I can pm him.

Steve @ HP said that comp didn't work either, the only spring he said that he thought would work was a set of Crower Neon springs. He was interested in what Scarface did as well

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
I think Scarface has stock springs...
Bingo on all accounts. Stock Npi springs ( REALLY shouldnt do that..use Pi springs) THey are the older version, regrinds-HP292 blower cams 228/[email protected] 531/531lift 114lsa. Blower Grind

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
Thank you so much :banana:. I'll call Steve tomorrow and see if he can re-grind his new re-grinds to the old specs.
:eek:

OP
OP
A

Armydad

Reaction score
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:
Bingo on all accounts. Stock Npi springs ( REALLY shouldnt do that..use Pi springs) THey are the older version, regrinds-HP292 blower cams 228/[email protected] 531/531lift 114lsa. Blower Grind

Scarface if you don't mind me asking what rwhp are you achieving with your set up? How much do you think the cams added

Thanks

S

scarface

Armydad said:
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:

Scarface if you don't mind me asking what rwhp are you achieving with your set up? How much do you think the cams added

Thanks
385/361 @8 psi If you use the npi valve springs you will be limited to 6100 rpms...mine kept making power all the way up until we had to let out of it...didnt want to float a valve.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
Armydad said:
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:

Thanks
385/361 @8 psi If you use the npi valve springs you will be limited to 6100 rpms...mine kept making power all the way up until we had to let out of it...didnt want to float a valve.

if your gonna stretch those rpm's out further might be time to upgrade to some solid lifters and better rockers...Jesel has some 4.6 rockers and second st speed has the lifters but they are expensive....they gain hp though.

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
scarface said:
Armydad said:
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:

Thanks

if your gonna stretch those rpm's out further might be time to upgrade to some solid lifters and better rockers...Jesel has some 4.6 rockers and second st speed has the lifters but they are expensive....they gain hp though.
I dont really plan on doing much more to this engine...I think I am going to start a buildup soon of a PI engine. One thing that bothers me about my car is if I dont shift quick enough, I thought I would hit the rev limiter. Well my car with just shut down for like 2 seconds, then go back to normal...Its only happened two times, but doesnt a rev. limiter sound like a studder box when you hit it ??? Im afraid Im already floating the valves when that happens.

S

scarface

Everyone ignore all I typed but this...Someone let me know an answer.
scarface said:
One thing that bothers me about my car is if I dont shift quick enough, I thought I would hit the rev limiter. Well my car with just shut down for like 2 seconds, then go back to normal...Its only happened two times, but doesnt a rev. limiter sound like a studder box when you hit it ??? Im afraid Im already floating the valves when that happens.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
did you raise you rev limit in your tune? when you hit it it shuts off the fuel and can do damage on a boosted engine...i've hit mine before and it just loses power for a sec or two.
you shouldn't be floating valves at 6100rpms but anything is possible.

S

scarface

No Ed kept the stock rev limit due to the springs..what you described about you limiter sounds like what mine does also.
He said the same about the valves, however I just wanted to hear someone else say it.

Thanks Bob :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would have them raise the stock limit just for safety, under boost if you hit that rev limiter and go lean then BOOM :hammer:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I would have them raise the stock limit just for safety, under boost if you hit that rev limiter and go lean then BOOM :hammer:

That's a bad Boom :(

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
wouldnt raising the limit cause me to go boom too? I wonder why Ed Clark didnt say anything about this when he was tuning it? Ill be retuning it soon, so Ill get it done then.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
DropTopPony said:
wouldnt raising the limit cause me to go boom too? I wonder why Ed Clark didnt say anything about this when he was tuning it? Ill be retuning it soon, so Ill get it done then.

yes and no, if you raise your rev limiter that doesn't mean that you have to rev it that high! Its a safety precaution to keep you from bouncing off the limiter because then the fuel shuts off and you go lean under boost and blow something up...get a shift light and set it below the limiter to remind you to shift.
you have to know where you shift and be sorta responsible and not rev it to 6500rpms...My friend with a 5 sp has his set at 6500rpms and shifts at 6200.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online