OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: ENGINE PARTS

DropTopPony said:
The alum Teksid block is not a direct swap for 2V's. You need to drill a coolant passage in the driver side...very easy just line up gasket and then you'll see where its supposed to go. Then the front cover is different. You can use your stock but will have one hole mis aligned that you can RTV or do what i did and get a front cover from a 94-95 2V Tbird which is a direct fit. You will also need different mounting hardware for the swing arm...they thread in for aluminum block and are dowels i think in the iron block. I got all the hardware from Randy S on Mod Depot and picked up the correct timing cover from tccoa forums for $50 shipped.
Good thing i'm doing the same thing and have gathered alot of the info alread :dancing6:

That's cool - I appreciate the help.

Good thing is it shaves 80lbs and offsets the added weight of a turbo or blower...i know my blower/intake combo is 55lbs so the alum block helps alot.
And don't pay over $400 for one....look around they can be found for under $300...i paid $600 for mine with the forged Cobra Crank.

OK, just to clarify, is the Teksid block the 99-01 cobra block.

Karkraft has them from ford for 600 bucks, with less than 4000 miles on them.
Is that good?

If I were to look around for others, where's a good place to do so?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Teksid is 93-98 Mark VIII and 96-99 Cobra....01 Cobra is a WAP...explorer i believe is also a WAP...

$600 is alot....scroll the mod motor classifieds on Corral and check ebay. $250-400 max is what you should pay.

97vertstang

Reaction score

go to salvage yards ull find one from a mark 8.they are pretty much worthless and most of the time they have no clue is a special block.since your getting all new internals already theres no reason for 96-98 cobra block,which has steel crank as opposed to the mark 8 having a cast crank. they might even be in a self wreckin yard.the one i saw was in a 94 mark 8 still untouched , at a self wrecking yard. for the short block itself it would have cost $150.they come out in ebay once in a while advertised as "cobra motors" from a mark 8 and they usually sell between 200-600. well, my best bet is a salvage yard/self wrecking yard.
sorry to hijack th thread but hey drop top pony-
what does it take to drop an explorer aluminum engine to drop in our cars.i see kar craft selling them for cheap, but i heard u have to change the timing cover plus some other deal with the front holes not linig up either??? :dunno: also are they as good as a pi mustang engine?? i know they got the pi heads cams etc.. just wonder if they produce the same horsepower and or the same deal to swap. thats one consideration i been giving thought to once my engine croaks and/or when i rack some miles in it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score

97vertstang said:
go to salvage yards ull find one from a mark 8.they are pretty much worthless and most of the time they have no clue is a special block.since your getting all new internals already theres no reason for 96-98 cobra block,which has steel crank as opposed to the mark 8 having a cast crank. they might even be in a self wreckin yard.the one i saw was in a 94 mark 8 still untouched , at a self wrecking yard. for the short block itself it would have cost $150.they come out in ebay once in a while advertised as "cobra motors" from a mark 8 and they usually sell between 200-600. well, my best bet is a salvage yard/self wrecking yard.
what does it take to drop an explorer aluminum engine to drop in our cars.i see kar craft selling them for cheap, but i heard u have to change the timing cover plus some other deal with the front holes not linig up either??? :dunno: also are they as good as a pi mustang engine?? i know they got the pi heads cams etc.. just wonder if they produce the same horsepower and or the same deal to swap. thats one consideration i been giving thought to once my engine croaks and/or when i rack some miles in it.

love that new avatar :naughty:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

97vertstang said:
There is a guy on Corral who did that exact swap into his NPI GT and i think the intake was different...so he had to buy another PI Intake. The rest of the engine is the same i think except the added bonus of the alum block. When i get some free time later i'll look it up and link you to his thread about it.

97vertstang

Reaction score

snakebit- check the hotties section ;)
droptoppony- thanks :thumb:

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Greenbird on Corral posted this info.
Is he correct.

There are three aluminum blocks.

99-01 teksid,
pre-99 teksid,
02+ WAP

I listed them in order of strength, but even the WAPs can handle 1000+ hp.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Dalamar said:
Greenbird on Corral posted this info.
Is he correct.

There are three aluminum blocks.

99-01 teksid,
pre-99 teksid,
02+ WAP

I listed them in order of strength, but even the WAPs can handle 1000+ hp.

Yes, Greenbird knows his shit!! I have picked his brain a few times with gathering parts for my build.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

97vertstang said:

Heres the info for the explorer swap...
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=690748&highlight=explorer+swap

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Well, after a few tries getting an alum block, I just didn't feel it. I'm already over my budget...
So decided to use my stock block.
It's in great shape.

The rotating parts should arrive any day... ::)
bolts pan and other stuff are there.

Heres the stock chunk of iron. it's in good shape, check out the cross thatching.

blockapart.jpg

crossthatch.jpg

Now I can take this perfectly good cast crank and make a classy mailbox or something.

stockcrank.jpg

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The parts SHOULD arrive tomorrow!!!
I've heard that before.
not exactly off-the-shelf parts, but dammm - 6 weeks!?!

Gotta haul all my stuff over to MMW. :)
More updates soon (hopefullY)

Slow98GT

Reaction score

good luck with your car sounds like a heck of a job

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Finally something - Last week they got the pistons in, balanced the assembly and shipped it friday.

It will arrive this friday.
I'm going to Lake Powell until sunday, so I'll have more info (and PICS) nest week.
Time for a little Vacation - sun, wakeboarding, bikini's. it's all good.

C you guys next week.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The Parts are in!!!!

Took the longblock stuff in to MMW for assembly.
They're gonna have the machine shop resurface the bores and clean it up, then it's assembled, prob next week.

LBintruck.jpg

rotatingparts1.jpg

rotatingparts2.jpg

pistonstamp.jpg

pistonrod.jpg

I'M EXCITED!!!

97vertstang

Reaction score
Re: STROKER ENGINE BUILD --update-- rotating parts are here!

wow!!!!!!!!!!! that is sweet cant wait to see it all together keep us updated :thumb:

Spyder

Reaction score

yeah f.y.i. that block Dalamar has there, is one heavy son of a bitch. If anyone else is attempting the same thing, get a buddy to help you move the block.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Engine's cleaned and honed out, they're gonna assemble it next week.
I'm out of town for 9 days, so when I get back - it's time to put it all back together.

;D :D ;D

noengine.jpg

With my roush piece on the rear for all these years, I forgot how much I like the black lower valance.

back8-06.jpg

MAXX RS4

Reaction score

Damn, I love seeing projects in progress.

So, how much $ has this set you back so far? When I get out of college I plan on buying another car and slowly building a block of my own as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online