Dammit another problem! Engine cuting out

brob

Reaction score
Ok so i have another dam problem with my 94 gt! (148K)

So im not sure if this is connected but after my car has been sitting for a while it will take a few key turns to actually get the engine started. It will turn and turn and turn. Then i will let off and repeat until it starts. Like i said im not sure if its connected with my next issue.

As far as i can tell its totally random but i will be driving along and all of a sudden my engine will cut out and then immediately turn back on. The tach will go to 0RPM and i will have no power and check engine light will turn on. Then turn back on in less then a second. ive been driving it for about 3 weeks and its only done it about 3-4 times.

I hope its not major! please any help.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
to me it kinda sounds like a fuel pump issue. my suggestion would be to having a shop check out your fuel pressure, and also next time that
you attempt to start and it does not fire, beat your fist on the bottom of your gas tank and see if your car fires easier imediately afterwards.
thats just my non-ASE certified 2 cents without visually looking at it. O0 good luck

St33da

Reaction score
Pull your codes and go from there. sounds like your computer is getting a value that triggers limp mode to prevent further damage.......which would explain the lack of power and the MIL.

Anrev

Reaction score
Check your battery cables. You probably have a loose ground or a lot of corrosion.

I had the same issue with it dieing while driving and it turned out to be a loose neg cable on the battery.

fixthedoor

Reaction score
I had a similar experience, except the cel never turned on:
Car would never start up on the first try. Motor would occasionally cut out - the rpms would drop to around 3g and eventually shut off.
Solution: new fuel pump.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem was that fuel pump wasn't keeping pressure in the system when it was turned off. It doesn't explain the stalling, but since I put the new pump in, it has not stalled again.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I agree with Anrev, the cutting out parts sounds like battery cables.

As far hard start, I would also suspect the fuel pump - especially if its never been replaced before.

Anrev

Reaction score
The battery cables could explain the hard starting too. If it doesnt have a good connection it wont turn the starter at the right force nor provide a hot enough spark.

OP
OP
B

brob

Reaction score
Well my negative cable is on there but it is loose enough for it to slide around quite easily. Im going to go and replace that to a thicker one.

i have yet to have a starting problem so next time i have one i will try banging on the bottom of the gas tank.

I'll keep it updated once i get some progress done.

Thanks guys.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Good to hear. I bet the cable replacement will give you good results. :)

91paxmustang

I have a 94 gt that had the exact problem, if i had just got done driving and went to restart it it would keep spinning over and over. if it sat for a few hours or overnight it would start fine. also if i would be cruising it would die for an instant and immediatly come back to normal. I guarantee you still have your problem. It was the hall effect stator, in the distributor. It sends the pip signal to your computer to control your timing advance. If you want next time it keeps spinning over unplug your spout connector,it will cause your computer to run on a default mode, and it should start right up. I just replaced the entire distributor instead of taking it apart to replace the stator. What happens is that sensor is heat sensitve and after 100k or so sometimes go bad.

Anrev

Reaction score
91paxmustang said:
I guarantee you still have your problem. It was the hall effect stator,

How can you guarantee anything without even looking at his car in person? :lol:

Let me ask you something. Did you disconnect the battery when you changed out your distributor? Im not saying that it wasnt bad. But maybe you just had a loose battery wire.... :hammer:

91paxmustang

Yes battery cables were fine, i had the problem for about a year and tried everything. I had an issue with a bad connection on the negative side before, and fixed it. This was a whole different issue on my car. Thats why if he has the trouble again and unplugs the spout connector and it starts fine that is his problem. I know battery cables could also have a similar effect but we will find out if he still has the prob.

OP
OP
B

brob

Reaction score
Ok so i guess some new info has come to light. I was going to just simply replace my negative cable but it seems to be a little more complicated than i thought.

In my old fox body the cable was only about 13" and went directly to the selenoid that was mounted on the inner fender. But this negative cable runs under the engine and splices into some wiring harness so i still have to take a deeper look at that.

Im going to have to take a picture of my engine because im 60% sure that the distributor was replaced by the last owner because its defineitly not stock( if im even looking at the distributor) . looks like a Canadian tire special ( like a Canadian walmart :) )

OP
OP
B

brob

Reaction score
Ok, i know I've let this thread die but for people who have the same problem and for informational purposes it was my distributor. More importantly The distributor gear at the end of the shaft. I'm replacing it right now and it will be good as new.

prstang

Reaction score
I will 2nd the hal effect stator. Pull the codes and always start from there. It will save you money in the long run.

bill302

Reaction score
read this again 91paxmustang hit the nail on the head....best bet is to get a reman dist. from autozone for about $100 i have seen this 100s of times..

have a 94 gt that had the exact problem, if i had just got done driving and went to restart it it would keep spinning over and over. if it sat for a few hours or overnight it would start fine. also if i would be cruising it would die for an instant and immediatly come back to normal. I guarantee you still have your problem. It was the hall effect stator, in the distributor. It sends the pip signal to your computer to control your timing advance. If you want next time it keeps spinning over unplug your spout connector,it will cause your computer to run on a default mode, and it should start right up. I just replaced the entire distributor instead of taking it apart to replace the stator. What happens is that sensor is heat sensitve and after 100k or so sometimes go bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online