Damn bandaid didnt hold on the pickup

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Around fall of last year i put race bullets on my 79 f 150 and this winter i noticed that where the pipe was expanded and welded together that it was cracking and coming apart. So i put a clamp on it and hoped it would get me through the winter till it was decent out. Well it just let loose on my way home. Cruising down the gravel road with the cd player cranked up and i thought i heard something weird so i backed off it and turned off the music. I was like wtf is that noise and then i stepped on the loud pedal (now its REALLY a loud pedal lol) and it sounds like all hell broke loose. I figured that it had just finished breaking so now i had an exhaust manifold with like 3 feet of pipe and no muffler at all. I stopped and then realized that not only did it crack but the exhaust from where it broke back was no where to be found lol. Went back down the road and picked it up. Luckily i didnt get bent up. So now i get to cruise around with one dynomax race bullet and an open manifold ;D. I am wondering if i am going to make it to work and back w/o getting pulled over... im saying is a 50/50 chance. I left the exhaust in the back for proof that it fell off and i didnt mean for it to be that loud. So now this weekend i get to freeze my ass of and try to fix it. I dont really want to weld under the pickup with all the grease/oil and shit but i may have no choice. I dont see the manifolds unbolting from the pipe that is still left. I just wish it was the passenger side and not the driver cuz the manifold leaks on the passenger side where it meets the pipe. Man it is going to be loud crusing down the highway with no overdrive ;D. It sounds really mean now with the bigger cam :naughty: So hopefully i can get it fixed this weekend and not burn the truck up. I will have a fire extinguisher ready incase :eek:

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
you will hear me about 5 miles before you see me. Holy shit it is loud going down the highway. I like loud exhaust (the short race bullets sound just about right), but this is just insanely loud. I cant hear myself think past 1/4 throttle and going down the highway it is so loud it almost hurts your ears lol. Id back off the throttle and coast for awhile to give my ears a break. I scared some old people (actually probably even a few younger ones lol) though so that made me happy. i seen some cars coming so i backed off it and coasted to sneak up on them and just about when they were beside me i put it to the floor ;D . i didnt get pulled over but that is because i never saw a cop. Before i fix it ill see if i can get a vid with sound :)

OP
OP
M

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i actually got the pipe to unbolt from the manifold i cant believe it. The first one i did was a bitch. It didnt want to come out and then the whole stud came out instead of just the nut. The 2nd one was easy the nut came off it and the stud stayed in the manifold which is great. The funny thing is one nut was 11/16 and the other was 5/8 ???. I wish it was the other side though so i could see what the leak was and the passenger side is open on the drivers side i had to maneuver around the front driveshaft and the clutch fork. Now just got to get it welded back together. Going to look at the other side maybe its just loose :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online