Damper failed and broke the timing cover

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I have been daily driving my car 4 days a week for the last 3 months. My work commute is 65 miles each way. My car has 145,000 miles on it and the damper was starting to look worn. I felt a strange vibration the other day when I was a few blocks from home almost like a miss.

I noticed a drop of oil under my car the next day so I checked it out. The oil seemed to be coming from the front main seal. I pulled the damper off and this is what I found...

So now I need to find an NPI timing cover. I had already ordered a set of Steeda pullies and a new front main seal, obviously I need a front cover gasket and I am going to replace the water pump as well.

Now I could use some advice. Can I get the old cover off by loosening the front oil pan bolts and pulling the cam covers or do I need to pull the oil pan.

Any help is appreciated!

heffe2001

Reaction score
IF you're going to replace the oil pump, may as well replace the pickup as well, which would require the pan drop. I'm in the process of doing that myself soon as I decide to get off my ass, lol.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
IF you're going to replace the oil pump, may as well replace the pickup as well, which would require the pan drop. I'm in the process of doing that myself soon as I decide to get off my ass, lol.

I'm not going to replace the oil pump since it's working fine. I will eventually pull the motor and do PI heads and some other upgrades but for now I need it to be back on the road.

Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if by chance the water pumps are the same on the pushrods to the modular I just took mine off to replace it with an electric version. I know it had been replaced at least one time since it was stock, car only has 96k on the clock. If it fits and you want it pm me and we can work it out.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
if by chance the water pumps are the same on the pushrods to the modular I just took mine off to replace it with an electric version. I know it had been replaced at least one time since it was stock, car only has 96k on the clock. If it fits and you want it pm me and we can work it out.

Thanks, it's really nice of you to offer but alas they are different. I really appreciate the offer though!

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
If anyone has a timing cover for a 96-98 non PI 2 valve they want to sell please PM me. I am having a hard time finding one.

Thanks!
Robb

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Scored a the U pull today. I pulled the timing cover from a Crown Vic. I still had the crank pulley puller I borrowed the other day so it only cost $23.00 and an hour of my time.

heffe2001

Reaction score
I'm not going to replace the oil pump since it's working fine. I will eventually pull the motor and do PI heads and some other upgrades but for now I need it to be back on the road.

Thanks
I saw water pump, but read oil pump, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online