Dash wiring

Jarheads Coupe

Reaction score
I hope I don't get my b@lls handed to me here!
I've got a few questions. I've got a 88 Fox and I'm in the middle of installing a dash from a 95 into her. I know I know.....It's not a SN car!!!! But....It is a Mustang! Can't find no one that can help with the wiring. I have all the plugs for everything. Can someone give me a hand and help me out? I need a wiring chart for the speedo, (was told it's color for color but don't know if that's true) headlight switch (was told it's pin for pin. Again.....Don't know) a/c heater control and box. Last.....Need info on the ignition wires in the steering. Everything is out of a 95 V-6. Im going to use the stock Fox dash wiring and cut the plugs off so i can replace them with the SN95 plugs. Thanks and hope I'm not asking for tooooooo much! LOL!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh wow that sounds like a hell of a project under perfect situation but there are a couple of things working against you. The biggest problem I see with it is that I never found the wiring schematics on the foxes, and even a little bit on the sn's to be all that accurate. It was not uncommon at all while installing an alarm/remote start to basically throw out the factory color code I had and start checking/probing random wires to find what I needed. To make that even worse I found the indicators(stripes on the wires) often wore off years ago on the foxes so you will probably find a lot of solid colored wires possibly with some spots where the indicators did not rub off. So for example the door locks use 5 wires all pink as their main color but with different colored stripes on them(pink/green, pink/yellow, pink/red) but by now you will only find 5 pink wires... Man when I think of how thick the hrns is that goes along the top of the dash containing everything from the instrument cluster too the door locks it makes me rub my forehead thinking about it all.....

So as far as giving you copies of two pages that explains what each specific wire is, where it is and what it does - I would have to say that the mantra for wiring is test twice cut once. That means even if you find a wire with the correct colors/indicators IT ALWAYS MUST BE TESTED. I am not joking when I say I tested EVERY wire I ever connected to inside a car short of speaker wires I pulled off of the stock speakers or deck. Do you have a test light/volt meter and know how to use it?

I have a factory 94-95 mustang bible with the wiring schematics book with it. I have not looked at it all that much as normally when I need a wire I have a general knowledge of where it is and grab a meter and start testing. But I would be happy to scan or give what ever info is in it that may help, again with the warning to test EVERY wire I give you. But you will need to find the same basic thing for what ever year fox that is and then hope that the colors are not all that far off. This will take some time but hopefully we can work through it but I make no promises that we can get it perfect. Wiring gremlins are fun to chase when your in the car but hearing of them 2nd hand and trying to understand what is happening and what needs to happen is much harder....

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I had seen that done before. I always thought you need to swap part of the fire wall. Also a lot of the wiring is different. The sn is going to have allot of stuff the fox doesn't. Good luck.. let us know how it comes out.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Another prob is the harness is from a v6 and they're all OBD2 and your 5.0 is OBD1.

OP
OP
J

Jarheads Coupe

Reaction score
Ttocs.....Yeah I've got a meter and know how to work it. The Fox wires I have no issues with. After all....Fox is what I specialize in. Any time I need something for a Fox I can go to Veryusefull.com and that helps a lot but must of the SN95 stuff isn't helpful. Any help would appreciated!!!

Feeding my toilet and talking zhit phone!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jarheads Coupe

Reaction score
Rz5.0.....Your talking about the steering column bushing and your right!!! Must cut it off to use SN95 column. I have already done that part. All I need is the headlight switch steering column wiring ac and heater wiring. I've got a mega squirting trans controller that does the rest of the work.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have a switch I can sell you from my parts car. As for the obd2/obd1 I am not sure what to tell ya there... Not sure where to start on this though honestly....

OP
OP
J

Jarheads Coupe

Reaction score
I have all the switch ' s I need to know how the pigtails for them are wired. What wire is what in the pigtails.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sorry for the delay. Its 4 degrees in my garage right now and I have been avoiding going out to work on my own car even as bad as I want to keep going on my supercharger so running out to find my manuals was not as hight up on the list. I think this is what ya need though what else?

DSC01092.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jarheads Coupe

Reaction score
He'll yeah! Ignition switch pigtail plug and ac/heater controls. Thanks brother!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jarheads Coupe

Reaction score
THANKS! !!! I wish I had a bible like that! Lol!!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I picked up the set last year on ebay. Wasn't cheap I think it was around $75 for the 4 book set. This is the first time going through it and I am amazed how much stuff it has in it. Still have not found the heater/ac hrns's though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.