Daytime running lights, how to disable

wiplash

Reaction score
Canadian Cars all come with this safety feature.
I am not condoning disabling required safety features, but let's just say that I moved to the US or was on vacation there, I could disable them while I was there, right? OK. On with the Mod.

Option #1 - lift the parking brake up one notch.
Problem - getting used to seeing warning lights is not a good thing.

Option #2 - Unplug the connector from the DRL module under the car behind the driver's side headlight.
Problem - Disables the Parking Brake Warning light & prevents the convertible top from going up or down.

Option #3 - Locate the green wire with a black stripe going into the connector which plugs into the DRL module
Snip it
I bought a weatherproof inline fuse holder and spliced it's wires onto the two cut ends of the green wire with a black stripe.
Whenever I want to disable the running lights I can remove the fuse
- Daytime Lights are disabled and can be simply re-enabled.
- The Parking Brake Warning Light operates normally.
- The convertible top operates normally.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: *CANADIAN STANGS* How to disable daytime running lights

wiplash said:
Canadian Cars all come with this safety feature.
I am not condoning disabling required safety features, but let's just say that I moved to the US or was on vacation there, I could disable them while I was there, right? OK. On with the Mod.

Option #1 - lift the parking brake up one notch.
Problem - getting used to seeing warning lights is not a good thing.

Option #2 - Unplug the connector from the DRL module under the car behind the driver's side headlight.
Problem - Disables the Parking Brake Warning light & prevents the convertible top from going up or down.

Option #3 - Locate the green wire with a black stripe going into the connector which plugs into the DRL module
Snip it
I bought a weatherproof inline fuse holder and spliced it's wires onto the two cut ends of the green wire with a black stripe.
Whenever I want to disable the running lights I can remove the fuse
- Daytime Lights are disabled and can be simply re-enabled.
- The Parking Brake Warning Light operates normally.
- The convertible top operates normally.

I did not know this :eek:, so if a mustang is bought from the states and taken up to canadia how does the day lights law work?

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Reaction score

I don't think they can make you change it, but it has to come from the factory like that. Most of the cops wouldn't know the diff anyways.

Roadkiller

Reaction score

As a general rule, used cars that are at least 15 years old can be imported from the U.S.A. and are not subject to safety and emission equipment requirements. Age is not determined by model year; the month of importation must be at least 15 years after the month of manufacture of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is less than 15 years old and was manufactured for sale in the U.S., you must first determine whether it qualifies for importation. Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program ensures that qualifying vehicles are modified, inspected and certified to meet Canadian safety standards.

Upon arrival at Customs, a qualifying vehicle will be entered into the RIV program. The registration fee is $197 in Quebec and $182 in other provinces. Within 45 days, the vehicle must be altered at YOUR expense to meet Transport Canada requirements (daytime running lights and metric labels for instruments, for example). You won't be able to register and license the car in Canada until it is modified and inspected. The RIV Web site contains a list of eligible vehicles and detailed information about typical modification and inspection requirements. http://www.riv.ca/

And that, no doubt, is WAY more than you wanted to know ;D

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Reaction score

Yeah, just a tad more. :gtfo:

chickendreamer

Reaction score

Why the hell would you want to disable day time running lights? It's one of the better safety features that the government is enforcing that doesn't cost anything. If anything, you Americans should learn to do this.

Any pulling up the parking brake 1 notch? ROFL... that's the dumbest thing i've head. :hammer:

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Reaction score

chickendreamer said:
Why the hell would you want to disable day time running lights? It's one of the better safety features that the government is enforcing that doesn't cost anything. If anything, you Americans should learn to do this.

Any pulling up the parking brake 1 notch? ROFL... that's the dumbest thing i've head. :hammer:
Yeah, ok, and drive around with the park brake light on, ... that's the dumbest thing i've head. :hammer:

Personally i think it looks good driving around at dusk with just the park lights on with or without fogs on like the older foxes. And if its the dummest thing you've heard, you must not get out much.

2v_takeover

Reaction score
I know this thread is a million years old but I've looked high and low for the DRL module by the headlights and found none, I've also unplugged every fuse known to man without the DRL's being disabled. The reason that I wish to disable them is that the module/drl interfere with my DEPO projector headlamps. I'm currently only running the projectors because I can't get the lights to work properly. Any suggestions ?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how are DTRL effecting your lights? It didn't bother them before your lights I would suspect that something is not right there.

2v_takeover

Reaction score
Scott, with the depo headlamps, my drls make both my highs and low beams on constantly instead of just my lows(projectors) no one in the states seems to have this problem so I assumed it was the drl's. It just seems unnecessary to have both running at the same time. I think it's only one plug for the harness so it's not like I could have done something wrong :/

2v_takeover

Reaction score
Okay, editarino, found the module, unplugged drl's. Still both highs and low beams on. Only highs when brights are turned on. I can't be driving around town with both on all the time. Figure I'm going to modify the housing to switch the bulbs around

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online