Dealer totals customers zl1

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Dealership should step up and find this guy the car he deserves.. Until then eat the payments and that employee should be fired immediately. Obviously the dealership has no control over their employees.. How could you say you have to buy another from us when the employee ****ed up? Okay how about the mechanic takes the car and puts it on a lift for maintenance, car falls off and is totaled.. Owner of car should pay for it and dealership takes no responsibility?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's a big difference between a dealership being liable for damages that occur under their premises/supervision and a criminal act being deliberately committed.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Police are currently investigating the incident. Criminal charges have not been laid against the employee, but as you can imagine, he no longer works at the dealership.

“Recently 1st State Chevrolet had an employee enter the dealership on Sunday December 15th and take a customer’s Camaro without authorization and subsequently totaled the customer’s car in an accident. Our business is closed on Sundays and was locked as is usual procedure. The employee acted on his own in this unfortunate event. This is an awful situation for both the customer and the dealership to deal with. We have been in contact with the customer and apologized for this situation at length. Both parties’ insurance companies are working to handle this claim in a satisfactory manner. Hopefully this situation will be settled in the very near future.”
While the car was in the “care, custody, and control” of the dealer, there was a potentially criminal act done by the now ex-employee. So while the insurance coverage is not cut and dried, the customer will be made whole, either by the dealerships insurance or the owners insurance.

What should happen is the dealer should give the man another ZL1 or the money to buy one and sue their now ex-employee for the amount of money lost. Also he should be thrown in prison for trespassing, grand theft auto, and being an asshat.

lutter94

Reaction score
But the dealer was responsible for the car while it was at the dealership. If they want to go after the kid, thats fine, great. But the dealer does owe the guy a car.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
wow yea what kind of car it is I think doesn't matter for shit but I wouldn't even know how to think about not killing somebody if this was me.... shit I would be going after the employee and the dealership... my car is in your service area overnight.... you are responsible for anything that happens... and the fact that they tried to sit there and SELL him another one that was totally a complete waste of shit compared to his just adds fuel to it... hope he gets another 1... he shouldn't be paying payments on his car still!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What should happen is the dealer should give the man another ZL1 or the money to buy one and sue their now ex-employee for the amount of money lost. Also he should be thrown in prison for trespassing, grand theft auto, and being an asshat.
That makes sense. I think the dealership is responsible for a vehicle of equal or greater value though. What the dealership and the law do after is another story.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] nailed the course of action that should be taken.

They should replace the guys car. I will say, he needs to be made whole, not better off than he was before! So he should get another ZL1 exactly as he desires, and just continue on with his normal payment plan. He doesn't get the car for free.

The dealership should provide that, and the employee should be sued to compensate for the dealerships losses.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Good points.. But the guy is still paying for a car he doesn't have right now.. dealership should 100% reimburse those payments that he's making while the car is totaled.

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
I love how everyone is getting mad at the dealership and disregarding the employee who trespassed into the lot while it was closed, stole the keys from the service area, stole the customers car, and proceeded to total it. If you think that the dealership is to blame, you should probably read up on the story.

You should probably read up on the principle of liability called respondeat superior, which translates into "let the master answer" in English.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/respondeat_superior

To see how far that reaches, see O'Connor v. McDonald's Restaurants of California, Inc (1990).

The dealership could also be held liable under the bailment law.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
The car should be replaced with exactly what he had or as close to it as possible. It's pretty obvious dude would consider a car very similar at least. Moral of the story is do your ****ing job and follow the childhood lesson of don't touch things that don't belong to you. Is that so ****in hard for people to do?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OP
OP
D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Personally I return things in a better condition then I got them.... I can't roll back mileage but I can give ya a full tank and car wash..... of I totalled someone's car I would make sure they got a car they were happy with. Not to the extent of a 2013 camaro I crashed and them wanting a Bugatti or something but ID def get them a 2014

The D3V

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Horse shit I'd be killing someone And how does one hate corvettes ?
Because yuck. I hate them. I dislike camaros even worse but would wish this on no one. The world is a better place with one less ugly conglomerate of metal thrown together but that said I hope he gets it taken care of.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Stuff like this isn't that uncommon. A couple years ago I worked at a Union Pacific railyard in Baton Rouge/Plaquemine that unloaded new cars off the train, [MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] prolly knows where I'm talking about. One weekend a supervisor of the railyard and his buddy went on the lot and drag raced a ZL1 and a CTS-V Caddy and ended up ripping the front of the ZL1 off across the bucket of our backhoe. In the 6 days I worked there I watched 4 other vehicles get totaled in a PARKING LOT. Not to mention that EVERY VEHICLE THERE CAME OFF THE TRAIN SMOKING TIRES AND SIDEWAYS cuz the employees were having a ball and never got in trouble for that bullshit. I'm talking anything from minivans to SRT8 Challengers...NOTHING IS SACRED!! Think about that next time you buy a brand new vehicle, the first 1.5 milea of it's life were PURE HELL!! Lmao!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Stuff like this isn't that uncommon. A couple years ago I worked at a Union Pacific railyard in Baton Rouge/Plaquemine that unloaded new cars off the train, white95 prolly knows where I'm talking about. One weekend a supervisor of the railyard and his buddy went on the lot and drag raced a ZL1 and a CTS-V Caddy and ended up ripping the front of the ZL1 off across the bucket of our backhoe. In the 6 days I worked there I watched 4 other vehicles get totaled in a PARKING LOT. Not to mention that EVERY VEHICLE THERE CAME OFF THE TRAIN SMOKING TIRES AND SIDEWAYS cuz the employees were having a ball and never got in trouble for that bullshit. I'm talking anything from minivans to SRT8 Challengers...NOTHING IS SACRED!! Think about that next time you buy a brand new vehicle, the first 1.5 milea of it's life were PURE HELL!! Lmao!

Yep, I worked at BP Lubricants ride down the street from there.

blackpony

Reaction score
So if someone breaks into your garage and steals your car, I guess that's your fault and you should get in trouble, not the person who broke in. :nono:

It was not the dealers car. But if you were keeping someone else's car, it gets stolen and totaled yes you should be held responsible as the car was in your care.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
According to conversation in the Camaro5 forum, the owner of the totaled ZL1 has been working with the dealership that was responsible for the crashed muscle car.
The dealership said that the employee shouldn’t have been in the vehicle, and that they weren’t responsible for the crashed car. They tried to give the ZL1 owner another vehicle, but it had more mileage and options that didn’t interest him, and the offer was rejected.
He wanted a new ZL1.
Long story short, General Motors and Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, Michigan, are sending the man a 2013 Camaro ZL1 to be picked up at the dealership in Delaware.
We’re not sure whose insurance company is paying for what, but it looks like everything has been settled … so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.