Debate on best wax product

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This past time was my first time using a 'paste' wax, loved that Petes 53. Man it was nice to put on, and smelled so good. I've always used liquid style carnubas and I have to say dont think I will ever go back.

I read once that applying more then one coat is pointless...it does not add any shine the carnuba waxes are 90% protection are they not?

02GT

Reaction score
Putting more coats just adds a little more shine and a little bit more protection not very much honestly. But the collinite acts almost like a sealant and adding the AGHD on top of that adds great depth and reflection.

shiftmx55

Reaction score
I worked detailing cars for about 4 years. I can't even remember the different types of waxes we tried, but always went back to the good old Mothers paste wax when simply doing a handwax on vehicles. ( Buff jobs and etc were a whole different story, but always finished with the mothers) For dark colored cars, or cars with poor paint, we used the Collinite paste wax, and it would come out AMAZING! Out of the 4 years i worked there, the only complaints we ever got would be small spots of wax that was overlooked that wiped right off.

Anybody every try using a small orbital buffer WITH paste wax? and then using the same buffer with a microfiber cloth on it to wipe it off? Not only does it send the wax in deeper, it lasts longer and shines better. Also, i'm sure everyone has their own technique on waxing, but what we found best was to do each body panel in tight circles, then wipe off. But everyone has their own ways that work great.

We would have the usual customers who would come in before winter, after winter, and the middle of summer to get a wax. and when we washed the car, the water would still bead up and look great!

I can't say i have tried any of these internet bought waxes, but would be interested in giving them a shot one of these days. When i bought my car a year ago, the paint was horrific. Brought it to the detail shop where i used to work, had it compound buffed, glazed, and 2 coats of collinite, and i could not believe the difference, this was last april/may and the water still beads up to this day.

Sorry this is so long, but just throwing in my 2cents!

02GT

Reaction score
Collinite has been around for a LONG time and detail shops use it for a reason. Shift, your post is just an example of how detailing is all about the process not the products. Excellent post!

shiftmx55

Reaction score
Thanks! I can't even begin to explain all the cars we had come in where people ( even dealerships!) had tried their own hand at a wax job and let me just say, 95% of the time it was horrible, leftover wax everywhere, wax that was forgotten to be wiped off that had hardened and had to be scraped off. Wax in the door cracks, emblems, just disgusting.

Ill explain the process that we did, hopefully it will help some guys out!

Now being that i worked at a detail center/car wash, we had very high pressure water, the best chemicals for removing brake dust, tar, grease, tree dirt, tree sap, etc during JUST the wash process. My boss didn't mess around.

Step 1. Wash car as good as you can ( obviously )
Step 2. Before any towels even came close to the car, we used a clay bar for best results. This removed any road grime, tar, excess stuck on dirt, just stuff that you could not get off in the wash process. If you have never used one, BUY ONE!!!! you will not be dissapointed at all. Just make sure you keep the car wet, you don't want to be leaving streaks of clay all over your car.
Step 3. Towel dry, easy enough.
Step 4. We would let the car sit and drip dry in the spots the towels could not get ( door handles, emblems, mirrors, stuff like that) Good time for you to do a quick inside detail to the car, or sit back and have a cold one.
Step 5. Once that was pretty much dry, we would use a tar solvent on the bottom half of the car ( or any obvious spots) to remove the pesky chunks and small dots of road tar, grease, brake dust, stuff harder to see while your washing, but easy to see up close. This usually happens in the wheel well lips, bottoms of the doors/rockers, behind the rear tire, and what you wouldn't expect...the whole rear end of the car! Weird i know...
Step 6. Wax away! We would start on whatever side you want, on the front fender and half the hood. What some people might not know is, you dont have to wipe it off right away, but don't let it sit for ever either. Then we would continue to to the whole front bumper, etc etc, you get the idea. But wipe off each panel before you move onto the next one, ( that just how i always did it)
Step 7. Check over for any excess wax
Step 8. Take a cruise through town and make everyone's jaw drop!

Now i'm not telling people to do it my way whatsoever. Just throwing out some ideas I have learned over the past that worked out great with rarely any complaints.

Enjoy!!!

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
That picture is a fake, he actually has a gt badge glued to a mirror lol

robb15033

Reaction score
I've tried them all. The best I have found:
-Mothers Carnuba Wax (Not The Cleaner Wax)
-Eagle 1 Nano Polish

ChemicalGuys

Reaction score
When it comes to the world of automotive wax, the word "best" is very subjective. Its like asking a person what is the best fruit. All fruit is delicious, buy everyone has a favorite trait.

The same concept goes for waxes. They all have their own unique traits and people have the trait the like the most in mind. Some like a deeper wet shine. Others may want a wax that is bright and brings out the metallic in the paint. Another person may be only looking for the wax with longest lasting protection.

I would suggest trying many different waxes before you determine what you favorite is. At Chemical Guys, We make several different waxes in both paste and liquid form so go with whatever trait you are looking for.

Many professionals and enthusiasts collect waxes and buy many different kinds because you never know what trait you might like until you try them all.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Many professionals and enthusiasts collect waxes and buy many different kinds because you never know what trait you might like until you try them all.

oh good I thought I was wierd last week when I went to wax the car and realized I had 4 different types, 2 of which I didn't remember buying.......

I think the other problem is the majority of the people answering are amatures and of course they will tell you that the wax they just put on is the best. Who wants to spend all that time to sit back and say that it sucks? As he said go and try some out and make your own mind up as to what is best for your car, in your area. A was in phoenix may not hold up as well, or may do better then one in canada where its cold and wetter the phoenix or florida where it is hot but wet.

lizwithfries

Reaction score
You are really hot, mygreengt. I'm sorry, haha if you were a girl everyone else would do it. But you're really cute!

I use some random liquid wax shit from Advance. Meguiars Carnauba Plus. Its not like OMG good, but it gets the job done and lasts. If I had a decent paint job to begin with I would've invested in CG or one of those really good brands, but my car needs paint more.

lizwithfries

Reaction score
In my area, all of the stores stopped selling paste type wax. The only thing you can find now is liquid. I don't know why, or if that's the way it is everywhere, but it sucks cause I liked the paste better.

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
it is more of a liquid basied but i think its one of the best waxes ive used! i dont have a high speed buffer and just a normal buffer and it surprised the hell out of me, i couldnt believe the difference it did to my paint on all my cars!

lizwithfries

Reaction score
hahahahahaha. my first leghumper!!!

haha I'm all about equal rights, guys deserve compliments too! Especially when they're cuteee.

it is more of a liquid basied but i think its one of the best waxes ive used! i dont have a high speed buffer and just a normal buffer and it surprised the hell out of me, i couldnt believe the difference it did to my paint on all my cars!

I was just talking in general.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Glanz_Wax_a5.jpg

4528293724_b21407ca99_z.jpg

4515257436_8ea01ca4e6_z.jpg

Einszett Glanz Wax....get on my level.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^omg...

I need to put up sexy pictures now, we gonna have internet war lol

wytstang

Reaction score
Souveran Paste wax
FirstFusiondetail2fullSouveran005Me.jpg

On white nothing beats Pinnacle Paste Glaz (out of all my lsp's I treasure this one the most)
IMG_0283Medium.jpg

IMG_0286Medium.jpg

Giving depth to dark colors is easy, when you get get white to show depth then you have skillz yo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online