deciding on cai???

white98stang

Reaction score
im wanting a cai for my 98 3.8 and i have looked aroud and so far bbk is my favorite anybody else wanna throw some tips at pleas do so

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at BBK and MAC... but then i was told to go plastic. and both BBK and MAC are metal. so idk?

Jeremy

atlantic98stang

Reaction score
Go with an E-Bay cai...It will give you the same gains as the expensive brands but for cheap...Dont waste money on less then 5hp!!! Save and get a mod worth it like gears... ;)

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
You keep the air cooler with the plastic inlet vs. the metal. the metal does look better though.

94stangr

Reaction score
I ran a piece of that $10 dryer vent hosing from the stock fog light whole to where the intake silencer should be.. I noticed rolling gains.. I also have a K&N

I'm waiting to get a cold air when I get a bigger tb and exhaust.

I attached a pic of it so you guys can make fun of how ghetto I am lol

SORRY UPGRADING FORUMS, ATTACHMENT WAS ERASED, YOU NEED TO REUPLOAD!

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that set up is pretty cool 94stangr. :thumb: I wouldnt have used dryer tubing. but do you have more pics of it? :pimp2:

Jeremy

94stangr

Reaction score
The dryer tube is just temporary to see how it worked, My buddy is supposed to bend me some pipe soon.

I'll take a few more pictures tommorow..

dapack69

Reaction score
I had a Mac on my car for years and it performed as advertised. You can make the debate of plastic vs metal, saying the metal will get hot and the plastic won't. This is totally and here is why. Plastic heats up just like metal does, I've seen plastic melt before. You just feel the temperature with metal easily due to the properties of it. Also the air moves quick enough through the tube it's not going to pick up that much heat. The source is what determines how cold the air is going to be.

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
94stangr said:
The dryer tube is just temporary to see how it worked, My buddy is supposed to bend me some pipe soon.

I'll take a few more pictures tommorow..

Awesome! :thumb:

dapack69 said:
I had a Mac on my car for years and it performed as advertised. You can make the debate of plastic vs metal, saying the metal will get hot and the plastic won't. This is totally and here is why. Plastic heats up just like metal does, I've seen plastic melt before. You just feel the temperature with metal easily due to the properties of it. Also the air moves quick enough through the tube it's not going to pick up that much heat. The source is what determines how cold the air is going to be.

You make a very good point sir. :pimp2:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94stangr said:
I ran a piece of that $10 dryer vent hosing from the stock fog light whole to where the intake silencer should be.. I noticed rolling gains.. I also have a K&N

Ive seen people do that before :D

94stangr

Reaction score
Yeah, Im for sure not the first to do it.. I didnt get a chance to take any pics today because it was raining like crazy here..

jpajkos

Reaction score
Hey if your intrested I have a brand new Steeda CAI. We were going to install it on my buddies v6 but he sold his 6 for a GT. It's never been installed at all. I have all the hardware for it and everything. The go for over 200 bucks. I would let it go for 150 and I'll even throw in Fed Ex Ground shipping for free. I'll take pic's if ya like and send them to you. Just PM me with your email addy. -Jess

Greggerex

Reaction score
atlantic98stang said:
Go with an E-Bay cai...It will give you the same gains as the expensive brands but for cheap...Dont waste money on less then 5hp!!! Save and get a mod worth it like gears... ;)

I went with an eBay CAI last summer - it was cheap (about $25 I think) and the piping & fitment was good. However, if you go that route, I'd but a decent filter for the end, like a K&N. The reason I say this is because when I hauled the CAI out of the Stang during the M90 conversion I noticed that the bottom of the filter (that came with the CAI) was GONE! Yeah, GONE. So I was sucking in unfiltered air for God knows how long.

Scary. :eek:

Brickyard

Reaction score
From what ive heard CAIs on our cars don't make enough of a difference to justify the $200 so I would go with a Ebay brand. Personally im just running a K&n drop in and im more than happy with it.

I considered doing the "ram air" thing with tubing to the foglight hole but I decided against it.

ARdoller

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
94stangr said:

dont bother with a bigger TB until you port the intake.

a bigger throttle body does nothing on these 3.8's because the one on there now is already big enough. you'll just be wasting money on something that isnt gonna give you sh!t.

for those that suggest an ebay cai, i wouldnt suggest it, unless you live somewhere where they dont check emissions. ebay cai's dont come with a carb sticker that allows you to pass emissions with an aftermarket intake.

i ordered a mac from erick (autobadges.com) i figure it may not do a whole lot, but if im gonna do it, i might as well do it right the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online