DEFINE A GT

Reaction score
This is an odd question and yet I have encountered some ambiguous references to GT. Is GT defined by the engine block , ie a 3.8 in a car would not be a GT, a 5.0 or a 4.6 would be a GT , or is there body components that define the car in addition to the power train. I saw a reference to a GT on Kijiji cars and trucks for sale and the owner refered to it as a GT , yet it was badged as such.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
There were different ways to option them similarly (power windows, rear spoiler, fog lights, wheels, etc) so I suppose it could be hard to differentiate between a V6 ( or base model) and GT especially if they removed the tail pipe(s). The easiest way to differentiate would be mechanically. All Mustang GT’s came with a V8 engine and the 8.8” rear end. All base Mustangs, to my knowledge, came with a V6 and a 7.5” rear end.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks White 95. Incidentally my car is a white 95 convertible. It came with rear spoiler,power windows, and I added fog lights from a '98 , bullet wheels from a 2005. The car I saw for sale was advertised as a GT and it looked like a base model, but the seller identified it as a GT. (Not by my standards).

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Also White95 is that your car pictured as your avatar ? The tail lights are not '95 , is your car newer or did you update taillights ?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Also White95 is that your car pictured as your avatar ? The tail lights are not '95 , is your car newer or did you update taillights ?

Yes, I did update the tail lights to the later spec. Also, gone is the factory 302 and in it’s place is a 4.6 4V from a 1998 Cobra that has cylinder heads from a 2003 Cobra and an intake manifold from a 2003 Mach 1. It also has the transmission, complete wiring harness, interior and doors from a two different 1998 GTs. The wheels are from a 2007 GT500. The front brakes are a mixture of GT500 & 2015 Mustang GT.

My car is a truly a Heinz 57.

Last edited:

Makoto

Reaction score
GT stands for "Grand Touring" which is what the mustang GT has always been good at. Comfortable, decent power, decent ride, not a sports car, but capable.
I am not building a GT car, it'll be GT in name only.

Makoto

Reaction score
the lightest most nimble mustang I can using mostly parts from the fox era (79-04).

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I did update the tail lights to the later spec. Also, gone is the factory 302 and in it’s place is a 4.6 4V from a 1998 Cobra that has cylinder heads from a 2003 Cobra and an intake manifold from a 2003 Mach 1. It also has the transmission, complete wiring harness, interior and doors from a two different 1998 GTs. The wheels are from a 2007 GT500. The front brakes are a mixture of GT500 & 2015 Mustang GT.

My car is a truly a Heinz 57.

Who’s brackets are you using for the 2015 calipers??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delling3

Reaction score
Odd that anyone would refer to a Base Mustang as a GT. The first appearance of the Mustang GT was in 1982, and there has been a GT Model in the lineup ever since. GT's have always had a V8 engine. As mentioned above, a Grand Tourer (for the anglophiles) or Gran Turismo (for the Italian aficionado) is typically defined as a luxurious two door coupe that can travel long distances with performance and style. By that definition, I guess a Mustang with a V6 could be classified as a GT? But it ain't a "Mustang GT".

Some confusion may exist if someone decided to use the Grand Touring

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What was the turbo svo’s?!? They were turbo 4 bangers but did they have v8’s in those years or did they not have gt’s those years??

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What was the turbo svo’s?!? They were turbo 4 bangers but did they have v8’s in those years or did they not have gt’s those years??

The SVO was it's own designation, bracketed above the GT in the line-up (like Cobra) BUT they did have Turbo 4 GT's and V8 non-GT's in the Fox Era. Fox cars had a few different levels (LX, GT, Ghia... I'm sure there's more) and the V8 was an option outside of just being a GT. I believe later model (85ish-up) is when the V8 was a standard bit of the GT name but LX V8 cars were still a possibility.

In SN95+, GT boils down to being a V8 car. GT's could be "optioned" without spoiler, power options, etc (GTS/248a).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would consider SVO right along with SVT/cobra. It wasn't a huge power house by any means but wears the svo badge like svt did in 94 and its limited production

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Eff Tee Arr bro

You need to send those brackets to dan so he can make us some brackets that don’t need the 1/8th washers and we know he’ll respond. Cause ol Peter pecker still ain’t responding and I’m gonna need brackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online