Deleted PVC System. Checkout the BudLight Catch Can

ryclef331

Reaction score
I was originally going to use a 40 of OE but realized I couldn't bring myself to just pour it out let alone drink it. I decided the already "close to done" bottle of Jack was more suiting. Well, when I drilled the glass I realized, drilling glass fucking sucks even with the proper bit. Takes forever and even when you take you time, you still crack it. SO I did what I should have done in the first place....

Tall Boys....

225761068.jpg

225761073.jpg

Thats right ladies, I've built my OWN oil seperating, vented, catch can....entirely out of a 24oz. of Bud Light. Cost? $9 for the breather on top and a $2-3 for the beers. I bought two incase I fucked up the first one....but I didn't so YAY ME!

I'm switching intakes on my car to a Victor 5.0 and I'll no longer have a PCV System on it as this intake doesn't have the provisions for one. Well, I already had a problem with the dipstick tube blowing out as it was. I could have just jammed some breathers in the valve covers and been done with it but I didn't feel like dealing with the oil residue. So I came up with this....

225761070.jpg

225761078.jpg

That is 3/4" tubing off of the back of EACH valve cover, T'd into 1" tubing down to the "cath can." The can, as you can see above, is equipped with a size 6an fitting on the bottom to monitor and drain any excessive oil that makes it way into the system. The tubing is all clear, reinforced pvc tubing so I can check it after each drive for oil mist. OH and it matches my 12oz. Budlight Radiator Overflow....

S

scarface

thats pretty funny man...Saounds like something I would comeup with after a long night of drinking.. O0 I just used an oil/air separator for an air compressor from lowes. total cost was around 20 bux....Works great, just doesnt have the "crowd amusment" factor like yours... Good work Bro :)

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
scarface said:
thats pretty funny man...Saounds like something I would comeup with after a long night of drinking.. O0 I just used an oil/air separator for an air compressor from lowes. total cost was around 20 bux....Works great, just doesnt have the "crowd amusment" factor like yours... Good work Bro :)

If was recircing the PCV back into the intake, I was going to do the compressor seperator like you said. I had one on my 02 lightning and it worked like a champ.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
who would have ever thought of using a beer can for a oil seperator. You could have chose a better brand though ;D

S

scarface

95KBGT said:
so what exactly are the benifits of this?
Its a catch can for the oil that goes through the PVC system under boost.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Benefits...Cool looks and a great substitute for the factory PCV setup. The Victor 5.0 has no provisions for the PCV. I could take it off the valvecover but even still, it wasn't keeping up with my motor (Nitrous motor) and I was blowing the dipstick out of the tube. The large tubing should solve that. This also ensures ZERO oil in the intake tract.

95KBGT....There is no boost on my car. Regardless it works the opposite anyways. Underboost, your blower pushes air into the intake pressurizing it. This pushes down through you pcvsystem to the pcv valve...which is a check valve and closes....so underboost....no oil mist is coming into the intake. If you still have the tube on the oil filler neck to your intake tract, this can push oil mist into you intake but really only if it hase a suction on it (before the blower).

NOW, when you're at WOT and 6,000rpms and you snap the throttle shut, you vent off you boost but the motor is still trying to suck in all that air. This creates a LARGE amount of vaccum in the intake that now SUCKS on the PCV Valve and draws in ALOT of oil mist into the intake.

SO, its not when you're UNDER boost that causes the rush of oil, its when you come off of WOT or Underboost.

I did a SHIT load of research on PCV Systems when I had my 02 Lightning...which is notorious for oil in the intake.

S

scarface

^^OK, what he said. I dont know why or how, I just always used them on my boosted cars.

SaleenStang94

Reaction score
what happens when oil goes into the intake. i jus changed my t/b and found oil resedue on the surface of the old tb as well as the elbow intake. my valve cover doesnt have a breather but the pvc is still there.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
scarface said:

can you post a pic of it, i have been planning on getting a catch can, but i couldnt bring myself to spend $40 on a shitty little aluminum can on ebay.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Its easy. Go to lowes and buy this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=221014-1126-IFA108&lpage=none

and

a couple of barb'd fittings to go on each end.

Like this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=3390-000075041-412-RET&lpage=none

Get some vaccum line that fits over the end of the barbs. Reach to the back of the intake and find the line that goes from the PCV Valve to the intake. Remove it. Install your NEW line onto the PCV valve then run it to the seperator assembly and then back into the intake.

Simple as that. Mount your seperator somehow so that the bowl is easily accessible so you can see how much oil accumulates in it and easily drain it when you need to.

That is the source of MOST oil in your intake. The small tube from the filler neck to the intake tract CAN contribute to it a bit...but nothing much. You can install a seperator there as well but it really isn't neccessary.

S

scarface

^ thanks for the lowes parts list bro...I didnt have time to look them up, thats why I posted the srt link :) O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.