Detailing Process HELP

02GT

Reaction score
Ok well, im going down to Myrtle Beach for mustang week and I want to enter the car shows down there. I want to know the best way to detail my car for the car shows. Any tips? I usually just do a three step mothers wax system on the exterior and armor all and vacuum the interior. What else can I do to make my car show acceptable?

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
haha if I could afford the gas money, Id definitely do that...but as it is I will barely have enough to make it to Myrtle...which is only roughly 4 hours from me haha. So do you have any advice for me?

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
OK for my exterior work. I bought the Meguiars clay bar kit and the three step Meguiars wax system (paint cleaners, polish, wax). Now heres the process I was going to go by, tell me if this is close to being the right way to do it.

1.Wash
2.Wipe off
3.Clay bar
4.Wipe Off
5.Paint Cleaner
6.Wipe Off
7.Polish
8.Wipe Off
9.Wax
10.Wipe Off

is that close?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
That's the really GENERAL way of going about it. Check out autopia.org/forum and you will learn a lot.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
RubiconSix94v6 said:
OK for my exterior work. I bought the Meguiars clay bar kit and the three step Meguiars wax system (paint cleaners, polish, wax). Now heres the process I was going to go by, tell me if this is close to being the right way to do it.

1.Wash
2.Wipe off
3.Clay bar
4.Wipe Off
5.Paint Cleaner
6.Wipe Off
7.Polish
8.Wipe Off
9.Wax
10.Wipe Off

is that close?

That stuff is great...i used the 3 stage on my car a month ago and it still looks good. You could do 2 layers of polish and 2 layers of wax if you wanted too

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
That autopedia link was excellent man, thanks a lot. I learned a lot and I'm prepared to detail my car the right way!

ALITL8

Reaction score
yea thats the method i use sorta... use "The Absorber" for drying your car (walmart 10.99). use microfibers for "wiping off" the rest of your steps O0

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys, I will post picks of before and afters when Im done with it

ALITL8

Reaction score
RubiconSix94v6 said:

dont forget to clean to the back of your wheels and CLEAN your wheel wells. you'll need an extra bucket, misc. brushes and sponges for this job!!

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
RubiconSix94v6 said:

dont forget to clean to the back of your wheels and CLEAN your wheel wells. you'll need an extra bucket, misc. brushes and sponges for this job!!

Yes. This step is so often overlooked. Dirty wheel wells will wreck even the coolest cars. 8)

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
Well my wheel wells are really dirty, what should I use to clean them? Soapy water and a brush?

9psi 98

Reaction score
RubiconSix94v6 said:
Well my wheel wells are really dirty, what should I use to clean them? Soapy water and a brush?

Yup, and if they are too light colored after cleaning them, I've masked off my fenders and anything else that got in the way and hit the fenderwells with a light coat of black ruberized undercoating. It makes them look brand new. Tire shine works too, but will attract dirt and dust.

brwillms

Reaction score
:eek: Just take the girl in your avitar. You'll have no problems.

ALITL8

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
RubiconSix94v6 said:

Yup, and if they are too light colored after cleaning them, I've masked off my fenders and anything else that got in the way and hit the fenderwells with a light coat of black ruberized undercoating. It makes them look brand new. Tire shine works too, but will attract dirt and dust.

just use a black semi-gloss paint if youre going to paint your wheel wells, if youre really good (careful) you dont even need to mask it off. any overspray can easily be removed with a little clay bar action. the best way to get your wheel wells clean is to remove the wheels and scrub them with degreaser (SIMPLE GREEN), a brush and an old wash mitt then rinse thoroughly. i dont paint the plastic (front) wheel wells cause they usually come back very nice... paint the rears if needed.

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
Ok well I clay barred the whole car tonight. Big difference, also the "overspray" on my hood is gone but theres still white specks there which I found out is my paint cracking a little bit :lame: but I can deal with that. Tomorrow im three stepping the car and doing the interior.

9psi 98

Reaction score
Get yourself some of that green "color cure" turtle wax. It worked well on hiding chips on my atlantic blue car and my last pacific green cobra. Give it a try.

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
ok i might try that. I will have to post pics tomorrow because its really cloudy and rainy out today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online