Diagnosis of my project 02 GT - Help Needed

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was talking to lwarrior in another thread because he was curious about my project 02 GT. I haven't really done much to this car because I recently got wedded to my wife and I just happened to purchase the car right around the time I got engaged. I also haven't changed the oil, or fixed any problems on it.

Here is the main issue with the vehicle. The car makes a metallic sound when the rpms shoot up to around 1500 rpm and quiet around 3200 rpm. The motor feels strong but is hurt in some way. I purchased a oil pressure gauge to hook up to oil pressure sender but I haven't had time to do it. I wanted to see if the oil pressure is erratic indicating that it could be bottom end problem. I am hoping that its not rod knock. I rather it be a collapsed lash adjuster or rocker then a engine bearing. Other then that the car does have exhaust leak where the mid pipe and cat back mate together. The engine has 104k so its still very young. Here is video of the issue below, I took this video last year in the winter.

[video=youtube;ayFYcsPySRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFYcsPySRc[/video]
[video=youtube;K1GG6wYLAMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1GG6wYLAMA[/video]

07GtS197

Reaction score
Its hard to say but it sounds like its bottom end. It does sound strange, my 00 gt had rod knock and I dont remember it sounding like that. That would make sense though because when you step on it youre building oil pressure and oil will get to the bearings and quiet the noise.

In the second video it sounds like maybe an exhaust leak near the header and its causing the car to hesitate. Id fix the exhaust before diving in any further other than checking oil pressure.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
It sounds like a bottom end noise, but doesnt fit the symptoms. When you do an oil change, see if you could cut open the oil filter and inspect for metal shavings.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Its hard to say but it sounds like its bottom end. It does sound strange, my 00 gt had rod knock and I dont remember it sounding like that. That would make sense though because when you step on it youre building oil pressure and oil will get to the bearings and quiet the noise.

In the second video it sounds like maybe an exhaust leak near the header and its causing the car to hesitate. Id fix the exhaust before diving in any further other than checking oil pressure.

This is definitely a exhaust leak for sure. I can see the condensation of water pooling when the car is idling on brisk cold day underneath the car. Sounds like plan I should get the exhaust leak fixed first and do a oil change.

It sounds like a bottom end noise, but doesn't fit the symptoms. When you do an oil change, see if you could cut open the oil filter and inspect for metal shavings.

What should I cut the filter open with or can I buy a can opener to do it?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You could get a cutter made for cutting open oil filters, or use tin snips and cut the seam off the top. You tube has a bunch of different ways to do it, check them out and choose the best one. We need to see whats packed in the filter element.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
You could get a cutter made for cutting open oil filters, or use tin snips and cut the seam off the top. You tube has a bunch of different ways to do it, check them out and choose the best one. We need to see whats packed in the filter element.

Made a quick list!

2002 Ford Mustang GT | Engine Diagnosis
- Buy Filter Cutter
- Look for copper in oil filter pletes
- Check oil pressure
- Change oil and filter
- Send oil to black stone labs
- Buy strong magnets for oil filter
- Record my findings

I got some work cut out for me in the next few weeks to months

07GtS197

Reaction score
One thing I want to point out is that the motor itself may have already been replaced. It has 19# injectors which were not used on mustangs past the middle of the 2001 model year.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
One thing I want to point out is that the motor itself may have already been replaced. It has 19# injectors which were not used on mustangs past the middle of the 2001 model year.

Hmmm, so the injectors are from a older mustang model? Is there anyway to verify this. I know the car has one pink injector probably from fuel issue in the past.

I found some information from a forum member on svtperformance. This could possibly be a early 2002 Ford Mustang GT with the old style injectors. One of the injectors could of went bad was replaced because its 22lb injector.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...jectors-Cleaned-and-Flowed-with-Test-Printout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hmmm, so the injectors are from a older mustang model? Is there anyway to verify this. I know the car has one pink injector probably from fuel issue in the past.

I found some information from a forum member on svtperformance. This could possibly be a early 2002 Ford Mustang GT with the old style injectors. One of the injectors could of went bad was replaced because its 22lb injector.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...jectors-Cleaned-and-Flowed-with-Test-Printout

Im still pretty sure it was midway through the 2001 model year. What month was your car built? My 02 was built in august I think but Ill recheck. Yes you can substitute one for the other. CliffyK, a genious about 99-04 mustang gt's, found that ford had not changed the fuel trims for the bigger injectors so these cars are known to run rich from the factory with the pink top injectors. What tranks does it have, a t45 or tr3650? It should be a tr3650. And how many bolts do your valve covers have? If you pull the valve covers there will be a build date, thats the only definitive way of telling what year the motor was built, the only way I know of anyway. All of this is a moot point though if youre going to buy a new long block.

Thats funny you brought up a thread with Calboy101. He was active on moddedmustangs and helped anyone he could and was very knowledgeble. Recently he passed away though but its good to see an old thread of his.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
This is definitely a exhaust leak for sure. I can see the condensation of water pooling when the car is idling on brisk cold day underneath the car. Sounds like plan I should get the exhaust leak fixed first and do a oil change.

What should I cut the filter open with or can I buy a can opener to do it?

Tin snips work good

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Im still pretty sure it was midway through the 2001 model year. What month was your car built? My 02 was built in august I think but Ill recheck. Yes you can substitute one for the other. CliffyK, a genious about 99-04 mustang gt's, found that ford had not changed the fuel trims for the bigger injectors so these cars are known to run rich from the factory with the pink top injectors. What tranks does it have, a t45 or tr3650? It should be a tr3650. And how many bolts do your valve covers have? If you pull the valve covers there will be a build date, thats the only definitive way of telling what year the motor was built, the only way I know of anyway. All of this is a moot point though if youre going to buy a new long block.

Thats funny you brought up a thread with Calboy101. He was active on moddedmustangs and helped anyone he could and was very knowledgeble. Recently he passed away though but its good to see an old thread of his.

TR3650 I'm guessing. Which side of the valve covers have the build date on it? Is it in the back? RIP to the fallen ones who contributed great information to help solve our issues. I can always ask the original owner if the engine was ever replaced. The car on the history check looked leased the bought out right.

They changed injectors in 01? I learned something today.

Me too, I never understood why I gave one pink injector. I also did a quick Google search and found that some 02's had the 19lb and some had the newer kinds. It's a mixed batch for sure. The engine definitely looks original, I just have a hunch.

Tin snips work good

No doubt, I just don't want to contaminate the findings with metal shavings from the casing.

chris91

Reaction score
That's not knocking. That sounds just like mine did and it was the tensioners and timing chain guides going bad.

chris91

Reaction score
Pull the timing cover off and it should be plain as day if that's the problem. You could tell for sure on mine. One of the tensioners failed and the guides were toast. Gave me the reason to get the engine I did though so I made out. LoL

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Pull the timing cover off and it should be plain as day if that's the problem. You could tell for sure on mine. One of the tensioners failed and the guides were toast. Gave me the reason to get the engine I did though so I made out. LoL

Hey Chris, did the sound of metallic noises lessen as the RPMS got higher. Rod Knock almost sounds identical...

chris91

Reaction score
Yep when the Rpms went up it went away. Made the chains tighter. Easy way to tell, take a long screwdriver and put the end on the timing cover and put your ear to the other end. You should hear it pretty well if its up top.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Yep when the Rpms went up it went away. Made the chains tighter. Easy way to tell, take a long screwdriver and put the end on the timing cover and put your ear to the other end. You should hear it pretty well if its up top.

Cool! Thanks for the help, maybe this weekend when I clean it up I can do some diagnosing and update the thread.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The build date of the motor is on the inside of the valve covers. If youre going to pull the timing cover the valve covers need to come off too so you can check then. Its more of a curiosity now, its probably an original motor but the injectors got me worked up lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online