Diagnosis: tired motor. Rebuild or replace?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve opted to have the motor rebuilt. Probably take a couple of months, but I’m ok with that!

sluggish94

Reaction score
I was thinking 347. Now just need to source one, preferably locally

I don't want to steer you away from Full Throttle Kustoms if they are already your tuners/engine builders, but if you haven't found anyone in the SoCal area, talk to TBD Performance in South Gate. Albert does nothing but SBF builds. Everything from stock rebuilds to stroker engines. He'll take care of you. He goes by motornut on instagram.

There's also a dyno tuning shop out in Camarillo called Bottle Blown Racing. Tommy and his business partner also specialize in the SBF platform. With their guidance my old setup pulled 245hp/282trq to the wheels on stock e7 heads. They know what they're doing.

Just wanted to throw out some options/resources from one SoCal resident to another.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to steer you away from Full Throttle Kustoms if they are already your tuners/engine builders, but if you haven't found anyone in the SoCal area, talk to TBD Performance in South Gate. Albert does nothing but SBF builds. Everything from stock rebuilds to stroker engines. He'll take care of you. He goes by motornut on instagram.

There's also a dyno tuning shop out in Camarillo called Bottle Blown Racing. Tommy and his business partner also specialize in the SBF platform. With their guidance my old setup pulled 245hp/282trq to the wheels on stock e7 heads. They know what they're doing.

Just wanted to throw out some options/resources from one SoCal resident to another.
I dealt with Bottle Blown a few years back. The guy wouldn’t even give me a ballpark quote and I’m not about to open my checkbook for someone who rents space as customers come in. He also was a dick to me so F him.

I have nothing but good things to say about FTK. Brian and Ray have been excellent in keeping me abreast of the progress, doing nothing without asking first and going the extra mile for service rendered and not charged for.

If I do end up rebuilding in the future, I will give TBD in South Gate a call. So thanks there!

sluggish94

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that about Bottle Blown, I've had only good experiences with them.

Everyones experience will be different though, and I'm glad to hear you're having success over at FTK.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it was very disconcerting and disappointing. I was referred to him by a credible source. I called and got a quote for some work but when I called him back a week later to schedule, the price changed. Higher. Dramatically. He got all huffy with me when I asked why the price change? So his attitude pretty much from there forward was the deal breaker.

Interestingly enough though, I have heard good things about their end result.

sluggish94

Reaction score
Yeah, it was very disconcerting and disappointing. I was referred to him by a credible source. I called and got a quote for some work but when I called him back a week later to schedule, the price changed. Higher. Dramatically. He got all huffy with me when I asked why the price change? So his attitude pretty much from there forward was the deal breaker.

Interestingly enough though, I have heard good things about their end result.

I've dealt with people who's work ethic has been the deal break too, so I know where you're coming from. I don't have anything bad to say about them though, and its disheartening to hear others haven't had a positive experience. Most of the Mustang guys that I know down here in Oxnard know them and deal with them on a regular basis. But I'm not here to push their brand or anything, I just wanted to bring them up as an option and share with you that I had a good experience with them.

Like I said before, its uplifting to hear that there are other local competent tuners in the Ventura County area. Its great to have options and to not be limited to one certain person just because they "know the platform".

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You’re in Oxnard?! Thought the 914 was NY!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will put up with some attitude for a good mechanic/tuner because from my experience its easier to deal with an asshole than a bad mechanic. If you start with a bad mechanic, you become an asshole and end up at the assholes place paying for it again and everyone is pissed off from the original mechanic(who now qualifies as an asshole), to you, to the original asshole that always seemed pissed off.

sluggish94

Reaction score
You’re in Oxnard?! Thought the 914 was NY!

Oxnard Local.

A lot of Mustang enthusiasts out here.

I see your location reads Moorpark.

We're close.

I will put up with some attitude for a good mechanic/tuner because from my experience its easier to deal with an asshole than a bad mechanic. If you start with a bad mechanic, you become an asshole and end up at the assholes place paying for it again and everyone is pissed off from the original mechanic(who now qualifies as an asshole), to you, to the original asshole that always seemed pissed off.

True.

joe65

Reaction score
didn't Borla start in Oxnard? I lived there in the late 80's early 90's. Loved it back then.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Joe,
Not sure about Borla, but Vortec is in Oxnard. Dangerously close and ever tempting!

joemomma

Reaction score
Borla has a facility in Johnson City, TN.

EDIT: at least a DC there. My mufflers shipped from there. Don't know if it was just a DC or mfg facility.

Makoto

Reaction score
whatever you do don't skimp on the rebuild. this is gonna cost you 4K minimum for a good fresh engine from top to bottom. realistically probably more by the time you're done.

i went with a local recommendation and should've walked away when i saw their mom and pop setup. not to say a mom and pop shop can't do it but it took em at least 2 tries and i haven't been to the tuner yet so who knows if this attempt will actually last? I regret going there and wish i would've just went with another highly reputable shop for more money.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I am torn over going with a local shop or a reputable one and having it shipped in. I like to support local but I am not sure I have enough confidence in the local places to trust this.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its best to seek out the shops with specialties. Most are old pushrod oriented knowledge base mostly because thats what they use in their own toys and whats widely most used.

Sort of like me being a modular nut knowing all the small details and attempt to rebuild/machine some sort of import engine. I simply dont have the knowledge to be 100% successful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online