Diagnostic help convertible top relay clicks

Richksales

Reaction score
Having a problem with my convertible, top motor engaging. The relays are clicking when I push the up-and-down switch, but the motor will not engage. I got a replacement motor and pump and does the same thing I swapped the two relays out does the same thing need some help thoughts on this please

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
clicking SHOULD mean they are working but there could still be a couple of things to prevent them from putting out voltage. Have you tested them for power when they click?

OP
OP
R

Richksales

Reaction score
No I have not. I’m not very savvy with electricals. Have a voltage meter and will test for power.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
ANything else on the same circuit not powering up? Perhaps the conv top motor is the only device on that particualr circuit, as it's a hydraulic pump and probably draws a fair amount of current. Could just be that the main feed wire (either before or even after the fuse) has been broken at some point along its length. Start removing interior panels and check for voltage on that wire, or just check at the connector going into the motor. At least you'll know if power is reaching up to the pump or not.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check for power at the motor while you or someone pushes the switch. If there is no power there then take note of the color of wires you tested and then see if you can find and test the same colors closer to the relay.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the relay coil is completely isolated from the power source and output. A clicking relay only means that the coil still energizes and de-energizes. The armature itself on the inside of the momentary switch that completes the main power circuit could just be worn out, though not likely. First check the high current fuse for the top motor, then after that probe for power at the pump, then after that check the lengths of wires for a break. Not hard to test for any of these.

OP
OP
R

Richksales

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the relay coil is completely isolated from the power source and output. A clicking relay only means that the coil still energizes and de-energizes. The armature itself on the inside of the momentary switch that completes the main power circuit could just be worn out, though not likely. First check the high current fuse for the top motor, then after that probe for power at the pump, then after that check the lengths of wires for a break. Not hard to test for any of these.
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online