Did I break my motor?

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Got everything back together and ready to test drive but it won’t crank. It tries to turn over but goes “clunk” when I turn the key.

Is it time to part it out? I’m too tired to start over!

Doc

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Oh man, I hope not. It could be a bad starter or weak battery, or bad ground. Go put a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and try to rotate the engine.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
First thing I did. No go.
Then I pulled all the plugs and tried again in case it was compression lock (if that’s even a thing) but no go still.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Dumb question but what it in neutral when you put a breaker bar on it? There would’ve been signs before it locked up if that is indeed what happened. I’m thinking it’s the starter solenoid. Give it a nice whack with a rubber mallet and try again.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Are you thinking maybe the armature is stuck in the extended position?

Ill try that.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I tried tapping the starter and didn’t help. I’m pretty sure the starter is fine. It’s new. Also if i turn the engine backwards it will move a little, perhaps 5-8 degrees, then firm stop, no budge. Then forwards again it moves the same 5-8 degrees then hard stop again.
Take the belt off as well when you hand crank it.
Yup. Didn’t change anything.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Oh no. Moving like that indicates a hard mechanical failure. A valve is bent and the piston is hitting it, or a rod is broken, something along those lines. The only thing you can do now is tear in to it. Maybe pull the cam covers off and pop the followers out, then try to rotate it again.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Check the coolant reservoir or overflow for signs of oil contamination. Usually if something fails catastrophically, the head gasket will follow suit. Pull the plugs and check for glitter and/or excessive oil. Pull the pan and check there too.

Start off small (quick/easy/cheap) and ratchet the inspection level up progressively. Should start to tell a story as it unfolds, literally.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, @lwarrior1016 - It feels like a failure in the rotating assembly. Not too excited about that. :(
It could be a timing chain issue also. Those can bind it up. You might be able to replace a component and get it going again. Any way you look at it, you’re going to have to tear in to it. I’m very sorry to hear this.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
@RAU03MACH - yeah, it was running but I had to pull the tranny to replace the pivot ball stud, and when I put it back in - clunk. It wouldn't start.

@lwarrior1016 - I'm sorry too. I've spent a lot of time, money and effort to get to this point and really don't wan't to pull it all back out again. :(

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
what ever you did last back that tranny back out and inspect Mabe a bolt backed out or to far in
or even clutch is hanging up inspect every thing in that area before any thing for right now
most of the times its something stupid we all forget to do

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you use a lot of loctite on the flywheel bolts ? One time the clutch disc was glued to the flywheel

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
In order to lock up a motor that's not had water intrusion into the cylinders, it normally has to be running and the action of failing for whatever component fails is not something you'll miss. I suspect that you've boogered something up in the reassembly after the clutch pivot ball fix. Step back, take a breath, ignore trepidation over what you don't know, then work the problem. If it'll turn a few degrees then it's not hopeless. You could easily have the tranny misaligned causing the starter gear to bind up on the flywheel ring which could render the symptoms you're having. Check oil and water for signs of evil. If you don't see obvious sign, move on to the reverting of the trans/clutch change and drop the transmission and make sure the starter isn't stuck into engagement with the flywheel. Then rotate test again. Calm. Calm. Calm. Get your frustration hat ready but don't start out wearing it, it'll only cause you to make more mistakes. We all bone a reassembly once in a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online