did the PI swap and well.......

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
RTV it is then! but have found sombody over onstangnet who has made some homemade ones! gonna see if he has some and get my dads firm to copy them and maybe we can start selling them! as i know lots of people would be interested!

Si

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
kid rock said:
RTV it is then! but have found sombody over onstangnet who has made some homemade ones! gonna see if he has some and get my dads firm to copy them and maybe we can start selling them! as i know lots of people would be interested!

Si

that guy on SN bought his from a guy who made about 100 sets of them...i had a set myself.

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
kid rock said:

Si

that guy on SN bought his from a guy who made about 100 sets of them...i had a set myself.

and you per chance know who this guy is? or if he still makes them? gonna start looking at making a set tomoz!

and how thick where they? i dont wanna make them to thick in that i will have issues shutting the hood!

Si

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
DropTopPony said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:
ehhhh...to each there own. I havent had any issues. I couldnt see any point in buying plates, when I have the whole swap here waiting to installed.

your car is a PRIME one to use the plates instead of rtv.........you have forced induction, i would be scared to death that the boost pressure would cause failure with that silicone crap :(

How would forced induction effect RTV on the coolant jackets? Maybe if you were RTV'ing the induction ports but thats not the case...this was a leak because it wasn't done correctly...its not hard to do and you barely use any RTV at all.

Please take a picture of the RTV that was put on...i'm betting you put on too much and it chunked off. The PI gasket almost seals it up completely...you just need a dab on the corners, thats it...check around and make sure its leaking from that area and not somewhere else.

there is no way I would have a seal with rtv and forced induction on a motor, that's just my feeling.

I don't like using silicone period so I'm bias against it in the first place.

what your not getting is your arguement doesn't make sense...when you put a blower on your not adding boost to the cooling system so no more or less water will pass through that coolant passage. The boosted air goes through the air passage which are not connected to the water passage so no boost to effect the RTV.
oh and what do you think your upper timing cover gasket is? Yup its RTV... O0

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
kid rock said:
DropTopPony said:
kid rock said:

Si

and you per chance know who this guy is? or if he still makes them? gonna start looking at making a set tomoz!

and thick where they? i dont wanna make them to thick in that i will have issues shutting the hood!

Si
his name was mrjones over on stangnet...he doesn't make them anymore and deleted his website www.unitedmajority.com His plates were very thin, but you had to use the NPI gasket on the bottom and PI gasket on top so that made it a thick setup. Still cleared the hood and stb...only problem with using plates is they raise your injectors up and change the spray pattern which isn't good.

Heres a pic of those plates with the double gaskets to judge the thickness....way thinner then the Livernois

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Snakebit said:
DropTopPony said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:
ehhhh...to each there own. I havent had any issues. I couldnt see any point in buying plates, when I have the whole swap here waiting to installed.

your car is a PRIME one to use the plates instead of rtv.........you have forced induction, i would be scared to death that the boost pressure would cause failure with that silicone crap :(

How would forced induction effect RTV on the coolant jackets? Maybe if you were RTV'ing the induction ports but thats not the case...this was a leak because it wasn't done correctly...its not hard to do and you barely use any RTV at all.

Please take a picture of the RTV that was put on...i'm betting you put on too much and it chunked off. The PI gasket almost seals it up completely...you just need a dab on the corners, thats it...check around and make sure its leaking from that area and not somewhere else.

there is no way I would have a seal with rtv and forced induction on a motor, that's just my feeling.

I don't like using silicone period so I'm bias against it in the first place.

what your not getting is your arguement doesn't make sense...when you put a blower on your not adding boost to the cooling system so no more or less water will pass through that coolant passage. The boosted air goes through the air passage which are not connected to the water passage so no boost to effect the RTV.
oh and what do you think your upper timing cover gasket is? Yup its RTV... O0

in scarfaces case I was refering to using silicone to seal the intake to the heads.......not a colant tube or anything like that. I know there is only a SMALL area that you guys are putting it on.......but I still don't like it

S

scarface

Brian the only part of the intake that gets silicone is the water ports....THe pi gasket covers all the intake ports without any.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
Brian the only part of the intake that gets silicone is the water ports....THe pi gasket covers all the intake ports without any.

I wish I had pics to show what im taking about, I have only seen it maybe two times. The rtv was all gunked up around the base of the intake to meet the heads even with the pi gaskets it still does not have a smooth transition from non pi to pi and thats where I have seen the rtv all over the place to get a " air tight " seal.

Ill call Wayne tomorrow and see if he has any pics of those cars that were rigged up. I want you guys to see what the hell im talking about.

S

scarface

NORTON98 said:
Scarface how much HP you have with the 15-17 PSI?

Mike
I didnt get it dynoed, I didnt run it like that..It was just the pully swap minutes before the cams went in. I have a novi 1000 and run a 2.75 pully, the SC is maxed out with its RPMs, even though I am only seeng 12 psi.

THe last dyno I had done was 385/361 at 8 psi. I have since upped the boost to 12 and added meth injection...No numbers....YET :)

S

scarface

Snakebit said:
scarface said:
The rtv was all gunked up around the base of the intake to meet the heads even with the pi gaskets it still does not have a smooth transition from non pi to pi and thats where I have seen the rtv all over the place to get a " air tight " seal.
What you are describing is what it looks like when you use NON pi gaskets to do the swap. There is no smooth transition in any case, however, the amount of silicone I used with the PI gaskets wasnt enough to fill a thimble.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
I wish I had pics to show what im taking about, I have only seen it maybe two times. The rtv was all gunked up around the base of the intake to meet the heads even with the pi gaskets it still does not have a smooth transition from non pi to pi and thats where I have seen the rtv all over the place to get a " air tight " seal.

Ill call Wayne tomorrow and see if he has any pics of those cars that were rigged up. I want you guys to see what the hell im talking about.

i think that is from people using the NPI gaskets instead of using the PI gaskets...i have heard it can be done both ways.

scarface beat me. :comando:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:
The rtv was all gunked up around the base of the intake to meet the heads even with the pi gaskets it still does not have a smooth transition from non pi to pi and thats where I have seen the rtv all over the place to get a " air tight " seal.
What you are describing is what it looks like when you use NON pi gaskets to do the swap. There is no smooth transition in any case, however, the amount of silicone I used with the PI gaskets wasnt enough to fill a thimble.

Thats exactly what he is describing but nobody does it like that anymore. A few did many years ago but not anymore. And many pics of the method of PI gasket have been posted here showing the minimal RTV required on the water jacket.
heres goes again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
scarface said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:

Thats exactly what he is describing but nobody does it like that anymore. A few did many years ago but not anymore. And many pics of the method of PI gasket have been posted here showing the minimal RTV required on the water jacket.
heres goes again.

ok this is probally where we are not seeing eye to eye.......I was talking about guys doing it the old way, good pics drop top. The air is cleared.

like I said this was about 2 years ago when I first noticed this crap and then took my 98 GT with the PI kit to have it tuned and from there.........we are here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online